• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Part A of My New 3-Part Essay on Jesus Has Been Published on The Secular Web!

1Heidegger1!

Basic Beliefs
Theoretical Agnostic / Pragmatic Atheist
Title: Gospels, Classics, and the Erasure of the Community: A Critical Review Testing the Hypothesis of Robyn Faith Walsh’s The Origins of Early Christian Literature, Part A

(2024)

Part A: Jesus in the Light of Greco-Roman Philosophy and Highly Sophisticated Engagement with the Old Testament

Abstract:

In Part A of a three-part critical review of Robyn Faith Walsh's The Origins of Early Christian Literature: Contextualizing the New Testament within Greco-Roman Literary Culture, John MacDonald provides a literary application and defense of Walsh’s hypothesis that the Gospels are not, as is usually thought, the product of literate spokespersons conveying the oral tradition of their community, but rather are birthed out of networks of elite Greco-Roman-Jewish writers in dialogue with one another, not downtrodden illiterate peasants. MacDonald aims to show that Walsh's approach makes good sense of the evidence, such as pervasive intertextual haggadic midrash (Jewish) and mimesis (Greek) going on in writing the Gospels, which seems less likely on the “oral tradition of the community” hypothesis. Walsh's critique of the community oral tradition model is important because that model is what bridges the gap from the opaque period of Jesus’ life and death in the 30s through Paul (who is silent on the details of Jesus’ life) to the destruction of the Temple in the 70s, when Mark's gospel appears. A few bare details aside, without this chain of sources, reconstruction of the events of Jesus' life is essentially impossible.

Article: https://infidels.org/library/modern/testing-robyn-faith-walsh-hypothesis-1/

For me, jesus is an ok focal point so long as its not taken literal. As soon as we state "Jesus is the only way!" we have deviated from his message. But that's just me, a internet hack.

I don't know if this contradicts Robyn Walsh's hypothesis, but there were surely Aramaic-language Christian writings -- most notably the "Q source" -- that preceded the destruction of Jerusalem. Parts of the Gospels are seen to have been translated from Aramaic.

Why then do the Gospels we know about all derive from Greek writings after 70 AD? It's due to the cost of, and need for, Gospel manuscripts.

Papyrus was expensive, as were the services of professional scribes. The early Christian community was centered in the single city of Jerusalem and simply didn't need more than a very few Gospel copies that could be passed around. It was the destruction of Jerusalem that led to a dispersal of Christians and hence an increased need for such copies. And the rapid increase in Greek-speaking Christians made the cost of manuscript preparation a non-issue.

For me, jesus is an ok focal point so long as its not taken literal. As soon as we state "Jesus is the only way!" we have deviated from his message. But that's just me, a internet hack.
Jesus is the only way to what? Curiously, what do you, bilby & co. in your view think this 'only way..' is referring to in context?

I talk about the Q source in part two of my book review.

Back
Top Bottom