• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Paul Ryan’s New Poverty Proposal Would Have Government Micromanage Poor People’s Lives

NobleSavage

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I have mixed feelings about this.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/07/24/3463723/paul-ryan-poverty-proposal-contracts/

In describing what this would look like, Ryan outlines the minimum requirements:

• A contract outlining specific and measurable benchmarks for success

• A timeline for meeting these benchmarks

• Sanctions for breaking the terms of the contract

• Incentives for exceeding the terms of the contract

• Time limits for remaining on cash assistance

In describing what this would look like, Ryan outlines the minimum requirements:

• A contract outlining specific and measurable benchmarks for success

• A timeline for meeting these benchmarks

• Sanctions for breaking the terms of the contract

• Incentives for exceeding the terms of the contract

• Time limits for remaining on cash assistance
Ths sounds like something i'd do when my kid bounces too many checks. But then, when he grows up, he can get a job at the private firm that's contracted to the government to prosecute these contracts.

This whole "personal responsibility" thing is just for the rich folks. The poors are too stupid to be trusted to make their own decisions.

Are all poor people poor as the result of absolutely nothing but random chance? Are none of the people who are poor in poverty as the result of poor decision making?

Are all poor people poor as the result of absolutely nothing but random chance? Are none of the people who are poor in poverty as the result of poor decision making?

poverty is structural to society. The poor are always with us. Reasons why individuals find themselves living in poverty are varied and many. You can be the most responsible person in your town and still be poor or you could be the most irresponsible person in your town and still be rich. many factors get us where we are.

They're poor because they aren't paid enough, if at all. More income can cover up lots of poor decisions.

Back
Top Bottom