• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Peanut Butter Cookies - The Question

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
So anyway, my wife thinks I'm nuts. Early on in our relationship, she learned something about me.

I look on the underside of a baked peanut butter cookie. It looks light tan.

"Bleh! These are under cooked."

She insists she baked them as long as the recipe said. I nodded and said "Yeah, they are under cooked."

A peanut butter cookie to me is worthless if it isn't crispy and a very dark shade of brown on the bottom. Not burned (at least from my burn scale), but close-ish. Could take twice the baking time on those burn proof pans. My wife doesn't bother baking them for me and lets me make the call. I see a peanut butter cookie in a store and look at them, their soft texture, their beigish color and I want to cry. That cookie could have been something special had they just baked it long enough. If I wanted soft and smooth, I'd just have peanut butter!

I can't think of any other cookie that needs this treatment, but it needs it badly! Though when I make the Panera like cookies, my wife insists I over bake those too. I hate Panera's softness, but you bake them long enough... nummy!

What says the people that eat cookies?

All cookies, irrespective of type, need to be as soft as possible, but no softer..

Think it was Einstein who said this originally.

But I could get down to a soft peanut butter cookie with a crispy bottom.

I have to side with Senor Higgins here.

Same with chocolate chip cookies, the 'chewy' ones or soft are just nasty. If they are still slightly gooey when they come right out of the oven, that's ok, but once they are cooled, they should be reasonably crispy.

There is no debating this. ;)

Y'all do realize there there are different cookie recipies out there, right? Some are supposed to be chewy, and others are supposed to be crispy.....

If you have a strong preference, just use the one you prefer; no need to trashtalk the rest! :confused2:

It is a truth universally acknowledged that peanut butter cookies do not need a crispy bottom.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that peanut butter cookies do not need a crispy bottom.
Apparently there are two type of people in this world. People that like cookies soft, those that like cookies hard(er)... and probably those in between.

Peanut butter cookies should yield. Bite without breaking.

Nestle Toll House Tried and True Recipe will produce a soft cookie with a crispy bottom when baked for 9 min. 15 sec. in my oven.

Apparently there are two type of people in this world. People that like cookies soft, those that like cookies hard(er)... and probably those in between and those who are wrong.

FTFY

Back
Top Bottom