• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Penn teammate speaks out against transgender swimmer Lia Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
In light of what you are saying concerning hormonal exposure, I think the person should not be competing against women.
Which is where I stand, also. We have a situation in which there is no answer that doesn't harm someone. Thus we should be seeking to minimize harm--pointing out that a position causes harm is not an argument that it's wrong.

To me the least harm comes from not allowing those who experienced puberty as males to compete as females. Someday there may be a better answer.

Have an Open category and a non-androgenised category. The non-androgenised category being 99.95% confirmed female at birth.

Putting Testosterone in capitals is not, in itself, an argument.

Who knew?
Your side of the argument is what?

My point is that some people you would absolutely identify as "males" will, over the course of their entire lives, grow up without being affected by testosterone.

It is happening right now, and some of these "males" some of which will not be "women", will be entirely qualified to compete fairly in ways that Lia cannot.

The reason for this, is that they will only have gone through one or fewer puberties at the time, zero of which involve testosterone (or perhaps .01 of one!).

Your hand waving does not invalidate the existence of such people, of their need to compete, nor of the way your handwaving around "males" and "females" disregards their reality.

Who knew?

My point is that some people you would absolutely identify as "males" will, over the course of their entire lives, grow up without being affected by testosterone.

It is happening right now, and some of these "males" some of which will not be "women", will be entirely qualified to compete fairly in ways that Lia cannot.

The reason for this, is that they will only have gone through one or fewer puberties at the time, zero of which involve testosterone (or perhaps .01 of one!).

Your hand waving does not invalidate the existence of such people, of their need to compete, nor of the way your handwaving around "males" and "females" disregards their reality.
Human males stay human males regardless of what you do to them, because mammals cannot change sex.

You propose that testosterone exposure during puberty is the only relevant factor in the performance difference between males and females. You have not produced any evidence of that and I do not believe you. The burden is on you to prove 'testosterone exposure at puberty' is the better binary division rather than sex.

Who knew?

This new pretense that people don't now know what everyone knew up until five minutes ago.

I know what a male is. That you don't is your own problem.

Well, the more often biological males perform in female sports and demonstrate the obvious unfairness, maybe more people will notice out how ridiculous it is.

People are not stupid, they do see it. It’s just a case of overcoming the vociferous wokesters and misogynists who have sway over these things. This is particularly obvious case and the pushback is there.
Misogynist is the key term here.

Casual dismissal of the concerns and issues of cis-females is so politically correct it's annoying and disgusting. But I don't think you're any more likely to change their minds than I think you could change the minds of Trump Supporters.

Not gonna happen.
At least not on an internet forum like this.
Tom

I wonder how many of these arguments were posed back when the sports were de-segregated?
Too much of a natural advantage, ____ can't compete against ___, they were separate for a reason....
And what they'll turn up again for?

I wonder how many of these arguments were posed back when the sports were de-segregated?
Too much of a natural advantage, ____ can't compete against ___, they were separate for a reason....
And what they'll turn up again for?
And the fact is, everything I propose protects everyone, no matter who they are, how they identify, no matter what they were born with, from having to compete with someone who is so subjected to testosterone, assuming they themselves have not so been.

It's a desegregation of two leagues, into two leagues with mostly the same membership, that protects the competitive spirit and good sportspersonship.

I hazard to think the only reason people object is because then you can't call it "women's" or "female's" leagues. But I don't really care. To me it seems rather... Well it's not misandrist because it's against people with no pubertal androgen affect. But is definitely misaligned.

And the fact is, everything I propose protects everyone,

"Separate, but equal" and "Affirmative Action" rolled into one.
You are a genius.

Why don't those cis-females recognize that? Dumb bitches. Why do us guys listen to them?
Baby, you can't swim! Fetch me a beer.
Tom

You are a genius.

Why don't those cis-females recognize that? Dumb bitches. Why do us guys listen to them?
Tom
Which cis females. I am pretty sure most such athletes are serious enough that they don't really care whether the person they are playing against was born with balls so long as they never got a significant competitive advantage on account of them in particular.

You are a genius.

Tom
Which cis females. I am pretty sure most such athletes are serious enough that they don't really care whether the person they are playing against was born with balls so long as they never got a significant competitive advantage on account of them in particular.

You really don't know about cis-females at all, do you?

Misogynistic is the olden days term for guys who didn't understand why women didn't understand their place. Today, it's politically correct.
I'm being as charitable as I can. There's lots of words I would prefer to use here, but I doubt that they're permissible.

Those of us who see women's issues as being as important as trans issues are labeled transphobic. "Angry" "An enemy"

Ask @EmilyLake.
Or the Penn women's swim team.

Oh wait.
Why would you ask women for an opinion? What do women's opinions have to do with reality?

You just tell them what's what.

Tom

You are a genius.

Tom

You really don't know about cis-females at all, do you?

Misogynistic is the olden days term for guys who didn't understand why women didn't understand their place. Today, it's politically correct.
I'm being as charitable as I can. There's lots of words I would prefer to use here, but I doubt that they're permissible.

Those of us who see women's issues as being as important as trans issues are labeled transphobic. "Angry" "An enemy"

Ask @EmilyLake.
Or the Penn women's swim team.

Oh wait.
Why would you ask women for an opinion? What do women's opinions have to do with reality?

You just tell them what's what.

Tom
So, I'm going to take the vocal minority and disregard them same as I would for metaphor and his concerns about men.

IF you wish to make this about "female" concerns over all others, then it's really about catering to TERFs.

Emily is a TERF and Emily can pound sand as long as she holds onto her crazed TERFy behavior.

I will gladly ask people their opinions, do a look at those opinions and every opinion that is loud and uses special pleading I will point out and then throw away.

Neither "women" nor "men", nor "eunuchs" nor "cis" nor whatever other label you wish has any special right to be separated, segregated, or treated in different regards.

What I do know is there are people who wish to compete, that it is a plain fact that what I have proposed will create fair competiton as relates to testosterone-based physical advantages, and will open the door to the next steps of understanding.

What I can see in fact as the primary driver for rejecting this is that you can't use it to eject trans people from sports, and you can no longer use them as a cudgel or example of something "broken".

It's taken TERFs almost a decade of work to drum up this complaint, and it's one of only three primarily battleground issues, the other issues being prisons (which we ought fix instead with policies to move towards the Nordic model), and with bathrooms (which we can fix at least moving forward by transitioning from "genital A/genital B" to "community"/"family").

The TERFs have nothing else. They know that they won't be able to discover any other situations in society where trans people are disruptive enough to use that disruption as an excuse for hate. They've had 10 years to search and find it and they are still on this garbage.

So flip it around. Remember this is not just about women.

TERFs seek to erase non-cis persons, denies them space to compete, denies them the power to be seen and accepted. To erase them so as to "protect" half of everyone from being, what, exactly? Not talked about the way they once were?

Yes, I'm going to disregard childish TERF concerns, I'm going to push for zero sports leagues restricted on any other concept than androgen exposures, and I'm going to do it HAPPILY over the objections of TERFs while happily listening to and working with everyone else to get a compromise in place that "everyone" hates.

Only one set of sports leagues here discriminates absolutely against people on the basis of their genital, gender, or any such other thing. So the group that is doing that is the one that gets their discriminative toy taken away.

The sign of a good compromise is that "everyone" hates it, which is to say "everyone who wanted to troll the system". I'm not really sorry you would get your vehicle for trolling and crybullying taken away.

Crybully someone else

=========================
STAFF NOTICE
=========================

To all posters: Address the argument, do not attck the poster.

Look at your post before you click “post reply,” and if it includes attacks agaisnt the character, personality, background or family of the poster, please edit before you submit.

Well, the more often biological males perform in female sports and demonstrate the obvious unfairness, maybe more people will notice out how ridiculous it is.
It is very unfair. For Christ's sake, in the 1650 meter freestyle competition, the second place winner was a full 38 seconds behind Lia! Such a disparity would be unheard of in a same sex competition. There are many other real life examples, and likely to be many more to come. This whole thing kind of reminds me of when Kramer from Seinfeld took karate classes with a bunch of kids:

Love the kids' facepalms at the end.

It also makes me wonder about the mindset of transwomen who compete with biological women. Do you they really not realize its a rather hollow victory, and the whole spectacle makes them out to be really just a bully who's destroying the dreams of many hard working young female athletes?

Do you they really not realize its a rather hollow victory, and the whole spectacle makes them out to be really just a bully who's destroying the dreams of many hard working young female athletes?
Who cares about a bunch of girls?

Not the CERTs(Cis Exclusionary Radical Transists).
Tom

Do you they really not realize its a rather hollow victory, and the whole spectacle makes them out to be really just a bully who's destroying the dreams of many hard working young female athletes?
Who cares about a bunch of girls?

Not the CERTs(Cis Exclusionary Radical Transists).
Tom

It's not my fault that an entire generation of girls was sold on a subtle lie that it might destroy their dream to compete against women born without ovaries, but never significantly affected by anything but the products of such.

I care about all the people, not just the girls, and I care about all of them equally.

If you wish to argue against my position, it's in the first post I made here. Anything else is arguing again nst arguments against arguments not even related to that position.

It also makes me wonder about the mindset of transwomen who compete with biological women. Do you they really not realize its a rather hollow victory, and the whole spectacle makes them out to be really just a bully who's destroying the dreams of many hard working young female athletes?
I can't know their minds, but I've read interviews with Veronica Ivy (nee Rachel McKinnon nee Rhys McKinnon), Laurel Hubbard (nee Gavin Hubbard) and the athlete in the OP, Lia Thomas (nee Will Thomas).

Veronica Ivy has expressed the conviction that there is nothing at all unfair about him competing and the people that question him doing so are 'losers'. I believe Ivy is the kind of person who, if he didn't have to worry about an academic career, would posts 'kill a TERF today' on his Twitter.

Laurel Hubbard, in contrast, seems very soft-spoken and possibly hasn't really thought about how unethical his selfish actions are.

Lia Thomas is quite young and possibly genuinely believes he is a woman, that everything he has done is 'fair'. He is getting institutional support for his actions. So I doubt he thinks his victories are hollow and he probably does not regard himself as a bully.

It is very unfair. For Christ's sake, in the 1650 meter freestyle competition, the second place winner was a full 38 seconds behind Lia! Such a disparity would be unheard of in a same sex competition.

I'd be curious.
How does Lia's time compare to her old male competitors? Did it affect her performance? Did transition from male to woman also transition her from "also ran" to "star athlete"?
I don't know.

What about other elite athletes? Folks like Hubbard. Would Hubbard have made the Olympics in the men's weight lifting competition? Given her performance, it seems unlikely. But she is, and always will be, an "Olympic Athlete". Not many people can claim that. It is a big deal.

Tom

Lia Thomas is quite young and possibly genuinely believes he is a woman, that everything he has done is 'fair'. He is getting institutional support for his actions. So I doubt he thinks his victories are hollow and he probably does not regard himself as a bully.

Seems to be the pathology of our current times to champion the bully and sneer at the victim. He’s just a selfish jerk and we should treat him as such.

Seems to be the pathology of our current times to champion the bully and sneer at the victim. He’s just a selfish jerk and we should treat him as such.

Unfortunately true.

But it got Trump into the White House. Not everyone has a problem with it.
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom