• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Phlegraean Fields Super volcano Rumbling

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
So the Campi Flegrei, aka Phlegraean Fields, super volcano near Naples, Italy is rumbling. Over 3,000 earthquakes this year, more than twice the number in all of 2022. And they’re increasing. Plus the land is bulging. Scientists aren’t sure if it is just due to gasses or indicates a possible full scale eruption. The last large eruption was almost 500 years ago. But 40,000 years ago the area had a huge explosion that was a VEI of 7, just under Yellowstone’s last biggie. But even something of the 1580’s explosion would have huge issues for the area as it is now a lot more densely populated.

I'm rather surprised to find that the Neapolitan authorities use a four stage warning system (Green, Yellow, Orange, Red); I would have expected a three level system (Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry).
Of course they wouldn't--it makes no sense for Vanilla to be in the middle of the list!

I was reading an article on the super-volcano and the recent activity, and a few scientists hated the term "super volcano".

I was reading an article on the super-volcano and the recent activity, and a few scientists hated the term "super volcano".
Yes, but it IS a supervolcano .
Supervolcanoes have produced some of the largest eruptions in history. There are 20 supervolcanoes on Earth, including the two above. They can displace so much material that they are classed as V8, or colossal eruptions. To put that scale into context, the 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption was a V5. It was 1,000 times smaller than a supervolcano eruption.

https://explorersweb.com/two-supervolcanoes-waking-up/

Screenshot_2023-10-08_at_11.05.47_AM.png

My understanding is that a super-volcano is more a past tense thing than a current tense thing. Someone can correct me if that isn't correct.

Yes, but it IS a supervolcano .
Supervolcanoes have produced some of the largest eruptions in history. There are 20 supervolcanoes on Earth, including the two above. They can displace so much material that they are classed as V8, or colossal eruptions. To put that scale into context, the 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption was a V5. It was 1,000 times smaller than a supervolcano eruption.

https://explorersweb.com/two-supervolcanoes-waking-up/

Screenshot_2023-10-08_at_11.05.47_AM.png

We sensible Americans need the important information.
Will this slow down pizza delivery?
Tom

There are about 32 volcanic systems in Iceland. Volcanic system means a volcano-tectonic fissure system and – very often a bigger volcano, a so-called central volcano which in most cases is a stratovolcano and may contain a caldera.[2][3]

The Bárðarbunga volcanic system situated in the center of the country erupted in 2014, producing lava that covered 84 square kilometers (32 square miles) of highland that didn't damage any communities. The Fagradalsfjall volcanic system erupted in 2021 for the first time in more than 6,000 years.1 day ag

Laki/Skaftáreldar 1783-84

The most deadly volcanic eruption of Iceland's history was the so-called Skaftáreldar (fires of Skaftá) in 1783. The eruption was in the crater row Lakagígar (craters of Laki) southwest of Vatnajökull glacier. The craters are a part of a larger volcanic system with the subglacial Grímsvötn as a central volcano. Roughly a quarter of the Icelandic population died because of the eruption. Most died not because of the lava flow or other direct effects of the eruption but from indirect effects, including changes in climate and illnesses in livestock in the following years caused by the ash and poisonous gases from the eruption. The eruption is thought to have erupted the largest quantity of lava from a single eruption in historic times.[citation needed]
Eldfell 1973

Eldfell is a volcanic cone on the east side of Heimaey which formed during an eruption in January 1973.[7] The eruption happened without warning, causing the island's population of about 5,300 people to evacuate on fishing boats within a few hours. Importantly, the progress of lava into the harbour was slowed by manual spraying of seawater. One person died, and the eruption resulted in the destruction of homes and property on the island.[citation needed]
Eyjafjallajökull 2010
Main article: 2010 eruptions of Eyjafjallajökull

The eruption under Eyjafjallajökull in April 2010 caused extreme disruption to air travel across western and northern Europe over a period of six days in April 2010. About 20 countries closed their airspace to commercial jet traffic and it affected approximately 10 million travellers.[8]

The eruption had a VEI of 4, the largest known from Eyjafjallajökull.[9] Several previous eruptions of Eyjafjallajökull have been followed soon afterwards by eruptions of the larger volcano Katla, but after the 2010 eruption, no activity occurred at Katla.[10]
Grímsvötn 2011
Main article: 2011 eruption of Grímsvötn

The eruption in May 2011 at Grímsvötn under the Vatnajökull glacier sent thousands of tonnes of ash into the sky in a few days, raising concerns of a repeat of the travel chaos seen across northern Europe.[citation needed]
The craters of Grábrók
Hóluhraun 2014–2015
Main article: 2014–2015 eruption of Bárðarbunga

Bárðarbunga is a stratovolcano and is roughly 2,000 metres (roughly 6,560 feet) above sea level in central Iceland, i.e. in the norhern edge of Vatnajökull.[11] This makes it the second highest mountain in Iceland.
Hóluhraun is an older lavafield situated 50 km NE of Bárðarbunga, 20 km S of the Volkano Askja (last eruption 1961), the altitude ca 700 m.a.s. Here the eruption started on August 17, 2014 and lasted for 180 days,[12] The 2014-2015 eruption was Iceland's largest in 230 years.[13] Following a major earthquake swarm, multiple lava fountain eruptions began in Holuhraun.[14] The lava flow rate was between 250 and 350 cubic metres per second and came from a dyke over 40 km long.[15][16] An ice-filled subsidence bowl over 100 square kilometres in area and up to 65 metres deep formed as well.[17] There was very limited ash output from this eruption. The primary concern with this eruption was the large plumes of sulphur dioxide (SO2) in the atmosphere which adversely affected breathing conditions across Iceland, depending on wind direction. The volcanic cloud was also transported toward Western Europe in September 2014.[18]
2021 Fagradalsfjall volcanic eruption
Fagradalsfjall 2021

Following a three-week period of increased seismic activity, an eruption fissure developed near Fagradalsfjall,[19] a mountain on the Reykjanes Peninsula. Lava flow from a 200-meter fissure was first discovered by an Icelandic Coast Guard helicopter on March 19, 2021 in the Geldingadalur area near Grindavík, and within hours the fissure had grown to 500 meters in length.[20]
Litli-Hrútur 2023

On 10 July 2023 at 16:40 UTC, a fissure eruption began adjacent to the summit of Litli-Hrútur.[21]

Real time earthquake reporting. More than you might think.

During St Helen's I was sharing a house high enough on a hill to see the cloud. One of my roommates was a geologist. He said the entire Cascade range was heatng up.

If it had blown out on another direction it might have blocked the Colombia River.

I saw the crater from a high point when I was driving along the river. There is an area in Oregon where the ground is rising.

Using satellite imagery and sophisticated GPS instruments, Cascades Volcano Observatory geophysicists have detected a subtle increase in the rate of uplift of the ground surface about 3 miles (5 km) west of South Sister volcano, Oregon. Episodes of increased uplift have been observed in this area before, and the volcano’s alert level and color code remain at NORMAL / GREEN.

If you get up high enough on a vantage point in the Cascades on a clear day you can see several volcanoes in a line.

There s a more dangerous volcano then Rainer about 50 miles north of Seattle.

Back
Top Bottom