• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police department fires 4 officers for corruption

prideandfall

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
highly anti-religious agnostic
in a time when police shootings are rampant, to the point where you can get a random person killed via SWATing them, it's refreshing to see that some departments are taking it seriously to curtail excess and corruption in order to restore the public trust.
this is definitely the sort of thing that police departments should be focused on, instead of worrying about whether or not citizens are being murdered here and there.
(this is scathing sarcasm btw, i can't think of any other way to express my disgust at this)

http://kutv.com/news/local/slc-park...-for-taking-kickbacks-for-not-writing-tickets

4 parking enforcement employees were fired for taking free food from the owner of Sicilia Pizza downtown, in exchange for not writing tickets to the owner and his employees.

The Director of Public Service, Lisa Shaffer, says when Clegg admitted the pizza scheme, the city instantly investigated the allegations and fired Clegg and three others.

Late Tuesday evening, we spoke with one of the officers who was also fired as a result of the investigation, he says he never took free pizza to not write tickets.

He says the city simply used the allegation to get rid of troublesome employees.

it's interesting to self-examine my intellectual response to this vs. my emotional response to this.
because on the one hand... okay, that's clear police corruption and an example of officers taking bribes to turn a blind eye to enforcing laws on certain people.
but the fact that 4 people were immediately fired over it when you have officers gunning down citizens left and right is a painful sting to my sense of morality and hypocrisy, to the point where it makes me want to excuse this event simply in protest against the larger violations being done that get so little institutional response.

anyways it's something that got me thinking quite a bit today, so sharing the story.

Back
Top Bottom