• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police response to N.J. mall fight sparks outrage after Black teen cuffed as white teen watches

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
New Jersey police are under fire for their response to a fistfight after a Black eighth grader was pinned to the ground and handcuffed while a white teen involved in the weekend mall scuffle was left seated on a couch.

The fight, which took place Saturday at Bridgewater Commons in Bridgewater Township, New Jersey, was captured on video and prompted a review of the officers’ conduct, as well as strong words from the governor.

Video of the incident shows a group of young people gathered in a seating area at the mall and two boys, one white and one Black, standing up in a verbal altercation.

The Black teen, Z’Kye Husain, 14, said the dispute started when he stood up to the other boy, who is older, for picking on his friend.

“He was kind of saying, like, ‘You’re a little kid, you’re my little pet,’ and stuff like that,” he told NBC New York.

The confrontation escalated with the two throwing punches at each other as onlookers shouted, according to the video.

After several seconds of punching, two uniformed Bridgewater police officers ran onto the scene and pulled the two apart.

One officer pushed the white teen into a seated position on the couch, according to the video.

Meanwhile, Z’Kye, already on the ground, was pinned onto his stomach by a male officer, with the officer’s knee appearing to be on his back. A female officer then helped, placing her knee near the back of Z’Kye's neck as they put him in handcuffs, according to the clip.

A person in the background is heard saying: “Yo, it’s ’cause he’s Black. Racially motivated.”
Video in this link.

Poor cops. Their entire lives immersed in a culture where entertainment media depicts the black male teen as violent. They are then, as cops required to act in the moment often with no time to assess. I feel for them. Hollywood bears some of the blame here.

So, did they both go off in handcuffs? How'd this wrap up?

I think these incidents can be at least partially ameliorated if the less aggressive female cop take the black assailant when possible and the male cop the white. Then these videos might better show the level of cooperation from the aggressors.

In his statement, Murphy said: “Although an investigation is still gathering the facts about this incident, I’m deeply disturbed by what appears to be racially disparate treatment in this video. We’re committed to increasing trust between law enforcement and the people they serve.”
...a politician and I simply cannot keep my fucking mouth shut.

Instead of homelessness in America, it's the entertainment industry this time. :picardfacepalm: I'm praying to the flying spaghetti monster to release the world of the evils of superman so that none may go jumping off tall buildings.

Another day, another "white people are bad, m-kay" thread by ZiprHead. *yawn*

The NAACP statement quoted in the video contains at least two falsehoods. The statement says the cops' immediate reaction was to 'aggressively throw the black child to the ground.' The black boy was already on the ground when the officers came on to the scene, thrown down by the white boy.

The second falsehood was that 'the white youth was carefully eased onto a couch'. That is not what the video shows. The video shows a female officer pulling the white boy onto the couch by grabbing the back of his jumper.

It's my opinion that there are possible sex implications here that are at least as interesting as the possible racial ones, but I suspect they will not be discussed in the media.

The NAACP statement quoted in the video contains at least two falsehoods. The statement says the cops' immediate reaction was to 'aggressively throw the black child to the ground.' The black boy was already on the ground when the officers came on to the scene, thrown down by the white boy.

The second falsehood was that 'the white youth was carefully eased onto a couch'. That is not what the video shows. The video shows a female officer pulling the white boy onto the couch by grabbing the back of his jumper.

It's my opinion that there are possible sex implications here that are at least as interesting as the possible racial ones, but I suspect they will not be discussed in the media.
Your post itself contains some errors. You failed to capitalize "black", however, you did appropriately use lower case for "white". Please try to be more respectful in the future. You can use the article as a guide for your future posts. For example:

New Jersey police are under fire for their response to a fistfight after a Black eighth grader was pinned to the ground and handcuffed while a white teen involved in the weekend mall scuffle was left seated on a couch.

In all seriousness, it is kind of amusing and hypocritical to see this article complain about unequal treatment of the races, while simultaneously describing the races in blatantly unequal terms. Such nonsense makes me question the accuracy and bias of the article.

Another day, another "white people are bad, m-kay" thread by ZiprHead. *yawn*
It is getting out of hand and is cluttering up the forum, IMHO. I think we shoud create a "white People Misconduct Catch All Thread" (similar to the Police Misconduct Catch All " thread) to consolidate all these random stories in one place.

Blacks: Cops treat us differently.
Whites: We don't believe you.
*video evidence of altercation between white and black youth shows Cops explicitly treating the two differently*
Whites: *points* Look, a red herring!
The black youth and the white youth were treated differently in the video by the cops. Do you believe that the only reason for this must be explicit discrimination by the cops against black people?

*video evidence of altercation between white and black youth shows Cops explicitly treating the two differently*
The black youth and the white youth were treated differently in the video by the cops. Do you believe that the only reason for this must be explicit discrimination by the cops against black people?
I don’t care what label is used to describe why they were treated differently. The point is they WERE treated differently.

Deny it happens and when shown to happen, red herring city.

I don’t care what label is used to describe why they were treated differently. The point is they WERE treated differently.

But the reason why this white youth and this black youth were treated differently to each other is important.

But the reason why this white youth and this black youth were treated differently to each other is important.

Pretty much this.
Jimmy assumes that the labels "black" and "white" are all that's important.

Some people find race so obviously the important label, there's just no point in discussing anything else. Don't even notice that racism is the defining feature of their views. Racism is taken for granted, like air or something.
Tom

Pretty much this.

Some people find race so obviously the important label, there's just no point in discussing anything else. Don't even notice that racism is the defining feature of their views. Racism is taken for granted, like air or something.
Tom
Do you have a list of the other options for the difference in how the two were treated?

Pretty much this.

Tom
Do you have a list of the other options for the difference in how the two were treated?
Did you notice the sex of the officers?

Pretty much this.

Tom
I posted the link to the video.

Would you like to take a shot at answering the question I posed to Tom?

I could come up with a long list of other possible reasons.

But since I have very little information that would be an exercise in futility. Why bother indulging myself in unsupported assertions just because they make me feel superior?

I'm not that able to mind read. I'm not inclined to attribute motivation to people I know almost nothing about, based on a bit of "media".

Sorry to be such an oldster.
Tom

I could come up with a long list of other possible reasons.

But since I have very little information that would be an exercise in futility. Why bother indulging myself in unsupported assertions just because they make me feel superior?

I'm not that able to mind read. I'm not inclined to attribute motivation to people I know almost nothing about, based on a bit of "media".

Sorry to be such an oldster.
Tom
Nice cop out after you said this:

Pretty much this.

Tom
I posted the link to the video.

Would you like to take a shot at answering the question I posed to Tom?
But I already did answer. The white boy and the black boy were treated differently to each other, but there are reasons other than 'racist cops' that could account for that difference. Indeed, the two boys differed in more ways from each other than just race. But of course, the perceived race of the boys may have been an influence on their treatment, but so could other things.

And as I thought I had made plain, the sex of the two different officers, and what each did when they got to the scene, seemed something that might have been worth discussing. In particular, the female cop, if I can be frank, seems as if she would be at the mercy of the white boy, had he chosen to fight back. Given his height and weight and male physique advantage over her, I doubt she could have forced cuffs on him had he chosen to resist.

Back
Top Bottom