• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Poor Baby, a Congressman can't get ahead today.

Bronzeage

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Pragmatic
America has always loved sad songs about hard times,

Seven cent cotton an' a forty cent meat
How in the world can a poor man eat?
Flour up high and cotton down low
How in the world can we raise the dough?

Just to show that even people in high places have problems, Virginia Congressman James P. Moran says he can't enjoy a decent life in Washington DC, on $170k a year.

“I think the American people should know that the members of Congress are underpaid,” Rep. James P. Moran told CQ Roll Call.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-underpaid-cant-live-decently-/#ixzz2xwIFY1Gu

It's a tough place to live, the statistics say it all:
Washington, D.C. and surrounding areas
Median household income: $86,680
Population: 5,703,948 (7th highest)
Unemployment rate: 5.8% (29th lowest)
Pct. households below poverty line: 8.3% (5th lowest)

If man who earns almost twice the median income can't find a decent place to live, what hope is there for anyone else?

Who takes a job that doesn't pay enough to make ends meet, whatever those ends may be? Unless you take it out of a sense of patriotism and a burning desire to serve your fellow Americans. I kid. Seriously though, if you want to serve your country, join the military. If you want to serve people in your district, serve at the soup kitchen. If you want to serve as a lawmaker, serve in Washington. But if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Quit and move on.
Unless, no. Unless, there is some nefarious underpinnings for why our lawmakers, especially newer ones that may not be members of any of the more influential committees should see a need to tough it out on a measly $170k.

Rep. James P. Moran said:
"A lot of members can’t even afford to live decently in Washington,”
It's all I can do to make payment on my Ermenegildo Zegna. :sadyes:

Who takes a job that doesn't pay enough to make ends meet, whatever those ends may be? Unless you take it out of a sense of patriotism and a burning desire to serve your fellow Americans. I kid. Seriously though, if you want to serve your country, join the military. If you want to serve people in your district, serve at the soup kitchen. If you want to serve as a lawmaker, serve in Washington. But if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Quit and move on.
Unless, no. Unless, there is some nefarious underpinnings for why our lawmakers, especially newer ones that may not be members of any of the more influential committees should see a need to tough it out on a measly $170k.

It's all I can do to make payment on my Ermenegildo Zegna. :sadyes:

Zegna? Tell me more.

Back
Top Bottom