• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pope Francis declares on Big Bang and Evolution.

This has been the view of the Catholic Church for a while now:
But Pope Francis’s comments were more in keeping with the progressive work of Pope Pius XII, who opened the door to the idea of evolution and actively welcomed the Big Bang theory. In 1996, John Paul II went further and suggested evolution was “more than a hypothesis” and “effectively proven fact”.
This is only new because Benedict was so reactionary.

This has been the view of the Catholic Church for a while now:
But Pope Francis’s comments were more in keeping with the progressive work of Pope Pius XII, who opened the door to the idea of evolution and actively welcomed the Big Bang theory. In 1996, John Paul II went further and suggested evolution was “more than a hypothesis” and “effectively proven fact”.
This is only new because Benedict was so reactionary.

Yeah. The Catholic Church accepted Big Bang and Evolution long ago. Pope Pius II in 1939 declared science to be a sacred and holy activity. He declared that the purpose of science was to understand God's creation. And what ever is accepted by the scientific community should also be accepted by the Catholic church as truth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Pius_XII

Well then, the scientific community has just accepted the fact that the Catholic Church is run by a bunch of corrupt pedophiles. I guess papal infallibility means that they all need to start arguing that this is the case now.

Well then, the scientific community has just accepted the fact that the Catholic Church is run by a bunch of corrupt pedophiles. I guess papal infallibility m ans that they all need to start arguing that this is the case now.

Papal infallability is one of those weird ones.

Pope Pius IX made the statement in 1854. It was in the response to him transforming the Vatican state (which was a lot larger than it is today) into the world's first police state. Yup, the Catholic church invented the concept. The point was to have a secret police to identify and root out uncatholic activity. But in reality they were just to ensure his changes in the government bureaucracy would be carried out. He became very impopular. In hind-sight his reforms of the economy and army were badly needed. In order to stop criticism against his reforms he simply issued the bula of papal infallability. And that was that.

Well, that wasn't that. The critique mounted and soon Italian nationalists toppled his government and the Papal states was reduced to what it is now. He was reduced from a government head to a figurehead.

I find it highly amusing that a man who failed at so much as Pope Pius IX was the one who issued the decree of Papal infallability. But in practice this is a bula that has been widely ignored. As so many others of the Papal bula.

My favourite Papal bulas are the large numbers of them that ban the teaching of Aristotelian logic. They're all the same. Which indicates that people were continually ignoring them

Back
Top Bottom