• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Potheads Are Dumb From The Start

Trausti

Deleted
DF0X7SKXkAAIENL.jpg

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/add.13946/full

The current wisdom, as I understood it, was that pot smoking results in loss of IQ points over time. Apparently, like so many other behavioral traits, there is likely genetic confounding. You kind of have to be dim to start with to began the habit. However, if you inherited good cognitive genes, toking may not harm your mind.

Last edited:
DF0X7SKXkAAIENL.jpg

The current wisdom, as I understood it, was that pot smoking results in loss of IQ points over time. Apparently, like so many other behavioral traits, there is likely genetic confounding. You kind of have to be dim to start with to began the habit. However, if you inherited good cognitive genes, toking may not harm your mind.

The fuck are you talking about? Adolescents have still-developing brains, of course introducing drugs to their brain chemistry is going to fuck with them. I suspect the results would be the same if you replaced 'Pot' with 'Alcohol' or any other drug for that matter.

Come to think of it, there's likely a relationship between the increase in consumption of caffeinated beverages like Monsters and the general anxiety in young people.

The fuck are you talking about? Adolescents have still-developing brains, of course introducing drugs to their brain chemistry is going to fuck with them. I suspect the results would be the same if you replaced 'Pot' with 'Alcohol' or any other drug for that matter.

Come to think of it, there's likely a relationship between the increase in consumption of caffeinated beverages like Monsters and the general anxiety in young people.

You are simply assuming that the drugs cause the problem and therefore are calling anything that disagrees with that crazy. That's the sort of logic of a Trumpet.

You are simply assuming that the drugs cause the problem and therefore are calling anything that disagrees with that crazy. That's the sort of logic of a Trumpet.

I assume nothing. There is a well established connection between drug use among teens and the impact that has on the still developing brain.

I assume nothing. There is a well established connection between drug use among teens and the impact that has on the still developing brain.

It depends what you mean by "well established". "Drug use" is a vague category.

DF0X7SKXkAAIENL.jpg

I'm not seeing a link between what you've written here and the conclusion of the article. That pot-smokers have a lower average IQ, yes, but not that genetics mitigate this factor. What the twin component does is normalise for genetic make-up, in which the study found that pot had no effect when genetics were equal, besides an impact on working memory.

For the sake of argument? Tobacco, Pot, Alcohol, shit like that.

Among the reefer madness types, that is.

Overall all that has been found is a correlation--but that doesn't prove causation. It still hasn't been established if the negative traits associated with pot are actually due to the pot or whether those who possess those traits are drawn to pot. It's very hard to tell the difference because you can't do a controlled study and you don't have anything like enough data on the before state.

Drugs certainly are not a good thing but neither are they anything like the evil that the right portrays them as. Most of the harm of the drugs comes from contamination, variable purity and lacing drugs with other drugs. Not to mention how much of their effort must be devoted to obtaining drugs they are addicted to.

Contrast a legitimate chronic pain patient with a heroin user--the former gets high quality stuff without devoting their life to the task. The result is someone who can function pretty much normally in society. Contrast that with heroin addict whose whole life is about obtaining his next fix.

I thought it had been proven that marijuana caused brain abnormalities when taken in adolescence. Maybe not.

Some searching on Google Scholar would verify, but that searcher is not going to be me.

I guess tonight would be a bad night to post in high thoughts? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For the sake of argument? Tobacco, Pot, Alcohol, shit like that.

... don't forget Corn Syrup, Sugar, Sodium, and high concentrations of Fat.... all these things cause health problems and affect brain chemistry.

At least those things that carry the label "drugs" are limited to adult use, so as not to affect the earlier development of brains... at least, those drugs (like alcohol and nicotine) that aren't just blindly prohibited with complete failure to properly regulate (like pot was.. but is getting into more civilized regulation nowadays).

Among the reefer madness types, that is.

Overall all that has been found is a correlation--but that doesn't prove causation. It still hasn't been established if the negative traits associated with pot are actually due to the pot or whether those who possess those traits are drawn to pot. It's very hard to tell the difference because you can't do a controlled study and you don't have anything like enough data on the before state.

But a fairly good control is the use of twins, which they clearly state shows NO difference between use and non use.
Drugs certainly are not a good thing but neither are they anything like the evil that the right portrays them as. Most of the harm of the drugs comes from contamination, variable purity and lacing drugs with other drugs. Not to mention how much of their effort must be devoted to obtaining drugs they are addicted to.

in other words... prohibition has made them dangerous, whereby regulation would make them as safe as possible... right? No black market, no funny business.

Contrast a legitimate chronic pain patient with a heroin user--the former gets high quality stuff without devoting their life to the task. The result is someone who can function pretty much normally in society. Contrast that with heroin addict whose whole life is about obtaining his next fix.

Just to put it into perspective... many chronic pain sufferers were over prescribed opiate-based pain medication... that they got addicted to. Then, "crackdown" of the over prescription of these drugs led to the medically prescribed addicts to seek another opiate fix... heroin.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought it had been proven that marijuana caused brain abnormalities when taken in adolescence. Maybe not.

Some searching on Google Scholar would verify, but that searcher is not going to be me.

Fake News.

in other words... prohibition has made them dangerous, whereby regulation would make them as safe as possible... right? No black market, no funny business.

Pretty much. It's not like they are benign--but most of the illegal drugs aren't anywhere near the deadliness of tobacco. The data is less clear about alcohol but it appears to be in second place. (Note: This is per user, not merely across the population.) Most drugs deaths appear to be due to flawed products, not the drugs.

Just to put it into perspective... many chronic pain sufferers were over prescribed opiate-based pain medication... that they got addicted to. Then, "crackdown" of the over prescription of these drugs led to the medically prescribed addicts to seek another opiate fix... heroin.

There certainly has been some of that--and it's making their life a lot more dangerous.

Yes, but the study in the OP suggests it's other way around - brain abnormalities cause marijuana use.
It's like these studies where they were finding out that moderate drinking is good for your health. Turned out to be that it's other way around - people who tend to care about health drink moderately because they believe it's beneficial and since they watch their health anyway they tend to be healthy in the first place. In reality, alcohol has no health benefits whatsoever.

Dumb and learning disabled kids gravitate to pot early in school because they get to fit into a clique that allows them to be stupid. It helps them conceal their stupidity. They're no longer that stupid fat fid. They're that fat stoner. It sounds so much better.

Most potheads ARE stupid to begin with, and the schools system in America makes sure they're sorted out early. Do you see what I'm saying?

Imagine being a stupid fat kid. Nobody likes you and you can't spell. You can barely sign your own name because your stumpy little fingers are encrusted with week old semen from crying and masturbating at the same time. Awkward and useless. Here come the potheads walking down the hallway. They are dumb as shit, and they have a perfect excuse for it. Then you ask your Mom to buy you a tie dyed shirt. You buy the right music and save your lunch money for some ridiculously easy to buy pot. BAM another pothead is born. Stupid to begin with 65% of the time. Or maybe more. So I agree.

Dumb and learning disabled kids gravitate to pot early in school because they get to fit into a clique that allows them to be stupid. It helps them conceal their stupidity. They're no longer that stupid fat fid. They're that fat stoner. It sounds so much better.

That's what they said about the "Young Republicans"... It was just a bunch of "white, racist, asshole kids".. until they found their clique and were then able to just be "Republicans".

Most potheads ARE stupid to begin with, and the schools system in America makes sure they're sorted out early. Do you see what I'm saying?

Imagine being a stupid fat kid. Nobody likes you and you can't spell. You can barely sign your own name because your stumpy little fingers are encrusted with week old semen from crying and masturbating at the same time. Awkward and useless. Here come the potheads walking down the hallway. They are dumb as shit, and they have a perfect excuse for it. Then you ask your Mom to buy you a tie dyed shirt. You buy the right music and save your lunch money for some ridiculously easy to buy pot. BAM another pothead is born. Stupid to begin with 65% of the time. Or maybe more. So I agree.

Isn't it easy to agree with one's own imagination? That's the key, right?... reduce everything to black and white easy rhetorical responses to any issue so no kid gets left behind... Are you a pot head, or are you just lacking an excuse too?

DF0X7SKXkAAIENL.jpg

that was not the conclusion of the study. this was:
Conclusions

Short-term cannabis use in adolescence does not appear to cause IQ decline or impair executive functions, even when cannabis use reaches the level of dependence. Family background factors explain why adolescent cannabis users perform worse on IQ and executive function tests.

They are saying that the study found that smoking pot does not make you stupid.
They add that the impression that it does comes from "family background".

So it all goes back to the original source of the demonization of marijuana... racism.

Black people like watermelon... (not because they are black, but because watermelon is more available to them where they lived at the time the stereotype developed, and pretty much everybody likes watermelon).

Black people like pot (not because they are stupid, or that it makes them stupid, but because it is more available where they lived at the time the stereotype developed and pretty much everybody likes it).

Wow. Stupidity partly explained. Combine pot findings with childhood alcohol use and we get the stupid daily double.

The neurocognitive effects of alcohol on adolescents and college students$ http://alcohol.web.unc.edu/files/20...cohol-on-adolescents-and-college-students.pdf

In a more recent study, 33 alcohol-dependent (asdetermined by DSM-III-R criteria) adolescents aged 15 –16 years with more than 100 lifetime alcohol consumptionepisodes and without dependence on other substancesunderwent an extensive neuropsychological test battery.Compared to 24 control subjects, alcohol-dependent adolescentsdemonstrated significant differences in test performance.Protracted alcohol use was associated with poorerperformance on verbal and nonverbal retention in thecontext of intact learning and recognition discriminability.Recent alcohol withdrawal was associated with poorvisuospatial functioning, whereas the number of lifetimealcohol withdrawal episodes was associated with poorerretrieval of verbal and nonverbal information. The alcoholabusers scored worse on verbal skills, vocabulary, generalinformation, altered perception of spatial relationships,memory, recalling previously learned information, transferringinformation between different forms, and identifyinggroups of information that are related to each other inperformance-meaningful ways. Alcohol use had the greatestimpact on information recall, both verbal and nonverbal.The mental performance of alcohol-using adolescentswas 10% less than their nondrinking peers. Therefore,heavy drinking in early and middle adolescence leads tomeasurable deficits in the retrieval of verbal and nonverbalinformation and in visuospatial functioning

WhatRUgonnado?

I prefer the give 'em a girl test. Pot heads are much less likely to abuse girlfriends, wives, daughters, etc than are alcoholics. So be soft and passive or be hard and aggressive. Which gateway do you prefer? It's your choice bro.

Back
Top Bottom