• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Potholer video: does coffee cause cancer?

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism

Summary for people who can't watch the video:

• No link between coffee and cancer has been found yet.
  • The study that linked acrylamide and cancer fed relatively large doses to rats.
  • If acrylamide in your diet does cause cancer, there's lots of foods you probably eat that has more of it than coffee. (Bread and potato chips have 5+ times more acrylamide than coffee.)

That judge probably jumped the gun when he demanded cancer warning labels on coffee.

potholer videos should be required viewing.

I don't drink coffee at all, so I can't evaluate his statements around the 3:00 mark about American coffee being shit. I have heard the, "popular, but unconfirmed, belief that the name has its origins in World War II when American G.I.s in Italy would dilute espresso with hot water to approximate the coffee to which they were accustomed." (quote from Wiki)

potholer videos should be required viewing.

I don't drink coffee at all, so I can't evaluate his statements around the 3:00 mark about American coffee being shit. I have heard the, "popular, but unconfirmed, belief that the name has its origins in World War II when American G.I.s in Italy would dilute espresso with hot water to approximate the coffee to which they were accustomed." (quote from Wiki)

Yes. The "Americano" can be described as a watered down espresso. Equally popular is the "Long Black", which is my favorite. While nearly identical to the Americano, it is popular globally, and not snubbed as "weak". The only difference between a Long Black and an Americano is the process (and maybe the amount of hot water added - which is personal preference). Rather than dumping hot water into an espresso, 6 - 8 ounces of hot water is prepared, and then the espresso is brewed DIRECTLY on top. Pouring it in from another vessel (like Starbucks has to, because of their corporate-mandated machines that can only brew into the corporate-mandated vessels) defeats the purpose and ruins it. All the crema sticks to the first vessel.

Anyone that enjoys a good cup of black coffee / or even an "Americano" should really try a Long Black (you won't go back).

Back
Top Bottom