• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Prehistoric Queensland contacts?

Jokodo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
humanist
Preface: this is not a Graham Hancock lost civilisation type of post. This is a the Polynesians' ancestors for around forget than we give them credit for and Aboriginal Australians where never quite isokated as we like to imagine kind of post.

So they found pottery shards on an island off the Queensland coast and dated them to almost 3000 years old. They were apparently produced locally. The time of their production matches what we know about when the Lapita culture reached the Southern Coast of Papua New Guinea, a culture that colonised large areas of Near Oceania more than a millennium before the Polynesian expansion and its generally credited as the bearers of the first wave of the expansion of the Austronesian language family into Oceania.

Now I'm not saying its impossible Australian Aboriginals fully independently developed pottery. While I'm no archaeologist and what formal training I had in anthropology had give rusty, if you ask me, hyperdiffusionism was one of the greatest misconceptions of modern anthropology, and specifically for pottery, we know it has been independently discovered at least three times elsewhere, at least once by hunter gatherers. If this finds had been 2000 years older or from a place 2000km further South, I'd put money on a local origin.

But the time and place are what they so I'd trend to follow the researchers interpretation that north Queensland was involved in a network of trade and exchange dousing the Coral Sea art around the time of the Lapita expansion, though not necessarily colonised by the Lapita themsekves.

Any thoughts from our resident Queenlanders or anyone else knowledeable about the subject?

Last edited:
I did the last edit on the phone. Bad idea.

1st paragraph: the Polynesians' ancestors for got around forget farther than we give them credit for; isokated isolated.
3rd paragraph: what formal training I had in anthropology had give has gone rusty
4th paragraph: I'd trend tend to follow, a network of trade and exchange dousing spanning the Coral Sea art at around the time; themsekves themselves

Back
Top Bottom