• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

President Biden's Infrastructure Plans

Biden’s Staff Sounds Climate Alarm — About Biden - "A letter obtained by The Lever shows the call for climate action is now coming from inside the Biden administration."
The letter to Biden and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) — provided to The Lever by a House Democratic staffer — is initialed by 165 staffers at federal health and environmental agencies and at 75 congressional offices. They are demanding the president use more aggressive tactics to pass his long-promised climate agenda through the Senate.

“President Biden, you have an exigent responsibility to reduce suffering all over the world, and the power and skills to do so, but time is running out,” says the letter, which is now being circulated throughout the administration for more signatures. “You are the president of the United States of America at a pivotal moment in the history of the world. All that we ask is that you do everything in your power. We’ve done our part. We implore you to do yours.”
Saul Levin on Joe Manchin:
“Our house is on fire, and Manchin burned the stairs. Democratic leaders are walking away,” Levin told The Lever. “We cannot. We must test the fire escape, find the fire extinguisher, tie some sheets together if we have to: Our lives depend on it.”
Back to the staffers' letter.
This unusual action from staffers at Biden’s own agencies spotlights the high stakes of the moment — the window of opportunity to pass climate legislation under a Democratic trifecta may be coming to an end, and it could be years before massive investments in clean energy become possible again.

“The first option must be for Senator Manchin to vote to pass the House Build Back Better climate justice provisions by the end of July, as part of a reconciliation package,” the staffers wrote. “The second must represent a bold and creative alternative that Senator Manchin understands to be much worse. For example, you and Senator Schumer could strip Senator Manchin of his Chairmanship of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, shut down the Mountain Valley Pipeline Project, eliminate the use of mountaintop removal and coal burning, and establish stringent water and air pollution standards.”
I'm also unimpressed by Joe Manchin's stated concerns about inflation. Nobody ever calls military spending inflationary, for instance.
Manchin’s concerns about inflation should ring hollow: There is overwhelming consensus among economists that subsidizing clean energy would actually reduce inflation by making energy cheaper for consumers.

Summarizing academic testimony to lawmakers, climate reporter David Wallace-Wells noted in a recent column that “the public health costs of air pollution [are] so high that a total decarbonization would entirely pay for itself through the public health benefits alone. You don’t even need to consider climate, in other words, for decarbonization to make sense, even according to the strictest cost-benefit analysis.”

There was plenty of drama llama that I could have posted on, but it seemed like BBB was going nowhere, so I didn't want to grasp at straws. But now that there is some resolution, I'll post some.

Furious AOC says Manchin has no authority to speak on climate ‘for the rest of our term here’ | The Independent - July 19
Democratic Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York criticised Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia on Tuesday for his call to pause discussions on climate negotiations, saying he has no authority to discuss climate change.

But Mr Manchin also said last week that he wanted to pause negotiations after the Bureau of Labor Statistics showed that inflation increased 9.1 per cent in the past year. He said he wanted to wait until inflation numbers for the month of July were released.
What a worrywart.
Ms Ocasio-Cortez has since slammed Mr Manchin’s remarks.

“Manchin has paused all action for the United States to act on climate for the last four years”, she told The Independent. “So I don't think he has any authority to speak on climate for the rest of our term here.”
Declare a climate emergency?
“Declaring a national emergency provides the president broad authorizations to act on climate”, she said. “I think it's an essential step. And we also need to hear what he plans to do with that.”
But he decided against doing so.
Mr Manchin, for his part, said to wait for congressional action: “Let’s see what the Congress does. The Congress needs to act.”
But he is a member of Congress, not some outside observer.
Didn't AOC vote against the infrastructure bill?

Why not do some research?

I did, and I found
H.R.3684 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

AOC voted for an earlier version:
Roll Call 208 | Bill Number: H. R. 3684

But not for the final version:
Roll Call 369 | Bill Number: H. R. 3684

She was joined by Jamaal Bowman, Cori Bush, Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Pressley, and Rashida Tlaib. All six voted for the earlier version.

She was long a critic of splitting the infrastructure part off of BBB, what this bill is, and she said that this bill was full of corporate giveaways.

More generally,  Build Back Better Plan
 Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act - the infrastructure bill
 Build Back Better Act - what was stalled by Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema over much of last year
 Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 - what we got of BBB

Why not do some research?

I did, and I found
H.R.3684 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

AOC voted for an earlier version:
Roll Call 208 | Bill Number: H. R. 3684

But not for the final version:
Roll Call 369 | Bill Number: H. R. 3684

She was joined by Jamaal Bowman, Cori Bush, Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Pressley, and Rashida Tlaib. All six voted for the earlier version.

She was long a critic of splitting the infrastructure part off of BBB, what this bill is, and she said that this bill was full of corporate giveaways.

More generally,  Build Back Better Plan
 Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act - the infrastructure bill
 Build Back Better Act - what was stalled by Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema over much of last year
 Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 - what we got of BBB
Sorry. My bad. I did some more research. And then discovered, AOC didn't vote for the infrastructure bill. I don't mean to be confrontational here regarding this, my point is that she's being mentioned in a thread regarding the infrastructure bill, and she didn't vote for it. This is the first substantial bill addressing the climate crisis that had a reasonable chance of getting passed in my lifetime, and she didn't vote for it. So, she shouldn't get credit for it.

Last edited:
The Healthy Bronx Podcast on Instagram: “The Inflation Reduction Act is a historic moment…” - a sort of PowerPoint slide show in Instagram
The Inflation Reduction Act is a historic moment in federal climate policy, and is the most successful iteration of what Biden’s Administration initially pitched as Build Back Better.

Scroll for some highlights on the bills major provisions.

Post prepared by @emily.yam medical student at @einsteinmed

#inflationreductionact #environmentaljustice #bronx #not62 #healthequity #healthpolicy
with
  • Lowering the cost of prescripton drugs (part I) -- If you receive your insurance through Medicare, your annual drug costs are going to be capped at $2,000 beginning in 2025.
  • Lowering the cost of prescription drugs (part 2) -- Medicare will be able to negotiate the prices of certain drugs. Beginning in 2026, they will be negotiating prices on 10 drugs, a list which will expand to 20 in 2029.
  • Keeping down health insurance costs -- The bill also extends subsidies for health insurance purchased on the ACA Federal health exchanges for three years. It's estimated these subsidies keep premiums for insurance at $10 monthly or less.
  • Home energy efficiency -- The Inflation Reduction Act includes $9 billion of funds to retrofit homes with more energy efficient appliances and $1 billion to improve energy usage in public housing.
  • Environmental justice -- The bill includes $60 billion to fund initiatives in underserved communities for clean energy, climate resilience, and other environmental priorities. Some of that money is going towards helping communities divided by highways reconnect.
  • Tax credits for vehicle energy efficiency -- Americans will be eligible to ge tax credits of $7,500 for purchasing new electric vehicles and $4,000 for used electric vehicles.
ACA = Affordable Care Act: Obamacare

"Helping communities divided by highways reconnect"? That likely refers to freeway lids / caps / decks, for burying freeways under urban parks and buildings. Case Studies – Lid I-5 lists several such projects, from proposed ones to completed ones.

The Healthy Bronx Podcast on Instagram: “The Inflation Reduction Act is a historic moment…” - a sort of PowerPoint slide show in Instagram
The Inflation Reduction Act is a historic moment in federal climate policy, and is the most successful iteration of what Biden’s Administration initially pitched as Build Back Better.

#inflationreductionact #environmentaljustice #bronx #not62 #healthequity #healthpolicy
with
  • Lowering the cost of prescripton drugs (part I) -- If you receive your insurance through Medicare, your annual drug costs are going to be capped at $2,000 beginning in 2025.
  • Lowering the cost of prescription drugs (part 2) -- Medicare will be able to negotiate the prices of certain drugs. Beginning in 2026, they will be negotiating prices on 10 drugs, a list which will expand to 20 in 2029.
  • Keeping down health insurance costs -- The bill also extends subsidies for health insurance purchased on the ACA Federal health exchanges for three years. It's estimated these subsidies keep premiums for insurance at $10 monthly or less.
  • Home energy efficiency -- The Inflation Reduction Act includes $9 billion of funds to retrofit homes with more energy efficient appliances and $1 billion to improve energy usage in public housing.
  • Environmental justice -- The bill includes $60 billion to fund initiatives in underserved communities for clean energy, climate resilience, and other environmental priorities. Some of that money is going towards helping communities divided by highways reconnect.
  • Tax credits for vehicle energy efficiency -- Americans will be eligible to ge tax credits of $7,500 for purchasing new electric vehicles and $4,000 for used electric vehicles.

"Helping communities divided by highways reconnect"? That likely refers to freeway lids / caps / decks, for burying freeways under urban parks and buildings. Case Studies – Lid I-5 lists several such projects, from proposed ones to completed ones.
I absolutely approve of freeway lids. The most annoying aspect of not having a car is that there are these awful rivers of asphalt cutting across everything that turn a simple 1 mile walk into an obnoxious 3 mile slog to get around the highway.

And this is everywhere.

Oftentimes it's painfully obvious that it was done specifically to divide the communities on each side from each other.

with

I absolutely approve of freeway lids. The most annoying aspect of not having a car is that there are these awful rivers of asphalt cutting across everything that turn a simple 1 mile walk into an obnoxious 3 mile slog to get around the highway.

And this is everywhere.

Oftentimes it's painfully obvious that it was done specifically to divide the communities on each side from each other.
Back in the nineties they put one in San Diego for the I-15. It was a no-brainer. The 15 actually turned into a surface street for about a mile with three traffic lights to deal with. The traffic sucked. If you listened carefully, you could hear the white people locking their car doors. I kid, of course. I did get challenged to a fight by a Hispanic girl once going through there. Fuck me for glancing to my right.

Going back to the 90s presidents and congress have said something would be done on infrastructure.

Obama said we were funding 'shovel ready' projects. That fizzled.

Our major ports are way behind China in technology.

So far bridges and roads are still in serious condition.

Our grid is a cobbled together patchwork that will not likely meet future needs.

Nether congress nor executive administrations have the experence and knowledge to make it all happen. Contract out to a major civil engineering company and have them develop a long term plan of projects and milestones. A schedule and expectations that can be measured.

We won't have to tell our children we did nothing - Adam Lee

Then how Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema obstructed Build Back Better.
With Manchin and Sinema calling the shots, the outlook for an ambitious progressive agenda was dimmed. Sure enough, the months since Biden’s inauguration brought one frustration after another. Voting rights, filibuster reform, and other progressive priorities fizzled out.

The bitterest defeat was the Build Back Better plan, Biden’s signature domestic agenda, which included universal pre-K, paid family leave, free community college, Medicare expansion, and huge investments to fight climate change. It would have been the biggest progressive advance since the Great Society. But Manchin vacillated for months, first raising our hopes, then dashing them when he walked away from a deal.

But at the eleventh hour, with midterms approaching, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Joe Manchin suddenly announced a deal on a bill no one had heard of before. The new compromise, the Inflation Reduction Act (now that’s smart political framing!) isn’t the whole Build Back Better plan, but it preserves large parts of it. It raises corporate taxes, frees Medicare to negotiate prescription drug prices, fully funds the IRS to catch tax cheats, and shores up Obamacare.

Most importantly, it keeps the most critical parts: the clean-energy investments that are essential to fulfilling America’s climate commitments. It creates tax credits for solar panels, wind turbines, heat pumps, electric vehicles, and more. It sets a fee for methane, a potent greenhouse gas. It funds carbon capture, clean hydrogen, reforestation, coastal protection, and a federal Green Bank to invest in environmental justice for low-income communities. All told, it invests $380 billion in the future. (And yes, it will reduce inflation—by buffering consumers from the increasing scarcity and price shocks of fossil-fuel energy.)
Democrats also accomplished
  • The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, better known as the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, which spends $1.2 trillion to remove lead water pipes, expand broadband to underserved regions, repair crumbling roads and bridges, make huge investments in mass transit, clean up polluted Superfund sites, build out a national network of EV chargers, and upgrade the power grid to support clean energy, among other things;
  • The PACT Act, which expands health care for 3.5 million veterans who were exposed to toxic burn pits;
  • The CHIPS Act, which provides $52 billion to expand U.S. manufacturing of semiconductors, secure the supply chain and combat computer chip shortages (and which, incidentally, endorses NASA’s plan to go back to the Moon and to Mars!);
  • The new Lend-Lease Act, which opens the floodgates of U.S. military hardware to Ukraine to defend against Vladimir Putin’s genocidal invasion;
  • The Safer Communities Act, the first major gun-safety law in 30 years, expanding background checks and red-flag laws;
  • The Postal Service Reform Act, ending the ridiculous rule that required the Post Office to prepay the entire cost of its employees’ health and retirement benefits;
  • The reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act, which was allowed to expire under Trump;
  • The designation of Juneteenth as a federal holiday;
  • The most federal judges appointed, at this point in his presidency, of any president since JFK;
  • and, of course, the American Rescue Plan, a $1.9 trillion economic stimulus with money for COVID vaccination and testing, extended unemployment, $1,400 stimulus checks, expanded child tax credits and the earned income tax credit—all of which made a huge dent in poverty, until Congress allowed it to expire.

• The Postal Service Reform Act, ending the ridiculous rule that required the Post Office to prepay the entire cost of its employees’ health and retirement benefits;
I didn't realize this was in the legislation.

Good.

I didn't realize this was in the legislation.

Good.
Oh yeah, I've been doing happy dances about that for a couple days now. Post office had the millstone dropped.

The bitterest defeat was the Build Back Better plan, Biden’s signature domestic agenda, which included universal pre-K, paid family leave, free community college, Medicare expansion, and huge investments to fight climate change.
That $3,500,000,000,000.00 Spendapalooza of unrelated left-wing spending items would have made inflation much worse.
Especially since US spent trillions already on COVID response it would have been unconscionable to spend so much more money so soon. Especially when the most expensive plank of the bill is even more subsidies for people with children, as if they do not get more than enough subsidies already.
It would have been the biggest progressive advance since the Great Society.
The 2020 election certainly did not give Dems .
Biden ran as a moderate. He did not run as the second coming of Lyndon Johnson. Not to mention that Great Society was quite unsuccessful in accomplishing what it set out to do.

But Manchin vacillated for months, first raising our hopes, then dashing them when he walked away from a deal.
And good thing he did!

But at the eleventh hour, with midterms approaching, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Joe Manchin suddenly announced a deal on a bill no one had heard of before. The new compromise, the Inflation Reduction Act (now that’s smart political framing!)
Smart it may be, but it is inaccurate. There is really nothing in there about reducing inflation.

Most importantly, it keeps the most critical parts: the clean-energy investments that are essential to fulfilling America’s climate commitments. It creates tax credits for solar panels, wind turbines, heat pumps, electric vehicles, and more.
Except it was written in such a way that most EVs do not even qualify.
Industry group says most EVs will no longer qualify for federal tax credits
Well intentioned, yes, but the devil is in the details.

It sets a fee for methane, a potent greenhouse gas. It funds carbon capture, clean hydrogen, reforestation, coastal protection, and a federal Green Bank to invest in environmental justice for low-income communities. All told, it invests $380 billion in the future.
Should have also included nuclear. Especially changing the regulatory environment to allow new reactors to be built cost-effectively while still being safe. As far as methane, associated gas should be captured from oil wells. But to move it, you need more pipelines, an anathema to the Left.

(And yes, it will reduce inflation—by buffering consumers from the increasing scarcity and price shocks of fossil-fuel energy.)
Energy is highly volatile and is thus not included in core CPI for a reason. Since the price changes wildly for reasons unrelated to purchasing power of money, the changes (up or down) in the price of energy (along with food) are not a good measure of inflation.

Speaking of pipelines, Dems are already reneging on the deal Schumer made with Manchin already.
Prospects dim in House for Manchin’s federal permitting measure

And stupidly too, as natural gas is less carbon intensive than other forms of fossil fuels and it burns quite cleanly too, esp. as compared with coal. Natural gas is also very much needed as a fuel for the next few decades. This obstinacy about pipelines is really stupid.

I agree. Put greenspace on top of freeways with pedestrian walkways in between existing bridges.

Is it though? Freeways by necessity run continuously and reasonably straight, so they by necessity have to cut something. It is more obvious when the freeway curves to avoid cutting through something. Like the Grady Curve in Atlanta around the Downtown proper. Of course, that just shifts where the cut occurs further east.
Atlanta-Downtown-Map.jpg
Downtown connector through Midtown and Downtown Atlanta is below street level, which would make it possible to put the lid on through most of its run. There is a mini-lid at Georgia Tech (5th street) which is more like an extra-wide bridge with some green space on it.
Also Piedmont/Baker downtown has an art installation over the Connector.

The bitterest defeat was the Build Back Better plan, Biden’s signature domestic agenda, which included universal pre-K, paid family leave, free community college, Medicare expansion, and huge investments to fight climate change.
That $3,500,000,000,000.00 Spendapalooza of unrelated left-wing spending items would have made inflation much worse.
Dude, we are still grossfully underspending. The owner of where I work pretty much stated in the company address that decades of unspending means our economic security in public works projects is ensured, as so much stuff has been put off.
Most importantly, it keeps the most critical parts: the clean-energy investments that are essential to fulfilling America’s climate commitments. It creates tax credits for solar panels, wind turbines, heat pumps, electric vehicles, and more.
Except it was written in such a way that most EVs do not even qualify.
Industry group says most EVs will no longer qualify for federal tax credits
Well intentioned, yes, but the devil is in the details.
That was the intent though, to reestablish a form of expensive manufacturing back in the US. The first US electric car maker that can say their cars are US credit qualified will have an advantage.
It sets a fee for methane, a potent greenhouse gas. It funds carbon capture, clean hydrogen, reforestation, coastal protection, and a federal Green Bank to invest in environmental justice for low-income communities. All told, it invests $380 billion in the future.
Should have also included nuclear. Especially changing the regulatory environment to allow new reactors to be built cost-effectively while still being safe. As far as methane, associated gas should be captured from oil wells. But to move it, you need more pipelines, an anathema to the Left.
Nuclear is on the long road at the moment, slowly coming back into focus. The Left hates nuclear, but honestly, only a little more than The Right. Go talk to rural conservatives and ask if they want a nuclear plant in their county.
(And yes, it will reduce inflation—by buffering consumers from the increasing scarcity and price shocks of fossil-fuel energy.)
Energy is highly volatile and is thus not included in core CPI for a reason. Since the price changes wildly for reasons unrelated to purchasing power of money, the changes (up or down) in the price of energy (along with food) are not a good measure of inflation.

Speaking of pipelines, Dems are already reneging on the deal Schumer made with Manchin already.

And stupidly too, as natural gas is less carbon intensive than other forms of fossil fuels and it burns quite cleanly too, esp. as compared with coal. Natural gas is also very much needed as a fuel for the next few decades. This obstinacy about pipelines is really stupid.
The US is the global leader in gas production. Of course, the goal is that a lot of that wouldn't be used here... but liquified and shipped to Germany.

I agree. Put greenspace on top of freeways with pedestrian walkways in between existing bridges.
Spendapooloza, but you want to cap freeways?!
Is it though?
Yes.

Reneging? Looks like they just want some reading material first. I'd be interested in these "statutes of limitations" they speak of. If they would also restrict landowners. Landowners should be able to negotiate the easement on their land, (there are setbacks creating unusable land) not just have a high pressure 36" line jammed up their ass where the company knows it's going through regardless. But fear not, once permitted, these pipelines go through fast. The 256 mile Nexus line took all of a year to complete.
This is not a left/right political issue. Where the Nexus pipeline went through was the heart of Trump country and it was dotted with many "No Nexus" signs.

Reneging? Looks like they just want some reading material first. I'd be interested in these "statutes of limitations" they speak of. If they would also restrict landowners. Landowners should be able to negotiate the easement on their land, (there are setbacks creating unusable land) not just have a high pressure 36" line jammed up their ass where the company knows it's going through regardless. But fear not, once permitted, these pipelines go through fast. The 256 mile Nexus line took all of a year to complete.
This is not a left/right political issue. Where the Nexus pipeline went through was the heart of Trump country and it was dotted with many "No Nexus" signs.
1 yr and lots of bentonite in the waterways. Honestly, it isn't the pipeline nearly as much as the construction of said pipeline that is the problem.

Wanted: 7,000 construction workers for Intel chip plants

Ohio’s largest-ever economic development project comes with a big employment challenge: how to find 7,000 construction workers in an already booming building environment when there's also a national shortage of people working in the trades.

At hand is the $20 billion semiconductor manufacturing operation near the state's capital, announced by Intel earlier this year. When the two factories, known as fabs, open in 2025, the facility will employ 3,000 people with an average salary of around $135,000.

Before that happens, the 1,000-acre site must be leveled and the semiconductor factories built.
Oh nooooeeessss! Biden is actually doing what Trump promised to do.

Last edited:
(CNN) - President Joe Biden on Wednesday announced new steps to address student loan debt, which includes forgiving $10,000 for borrowers who make less than $125,000 per year and extending the payment freeze one final time until the end of the year.
Low-income borrowers who went to college on Pell Grants will receive up to $20,000 in student loan forgiveness.
The President will speak at 2:15 p.m. ET to formally announce the plan.
"In keeping with my campaign promise, my Administration is announcing a plan to give working and middle class families breathing room as they prepare to resume federal student loan payments in January 2023," Biden said on Twitter announcing the plan.
The Department of Education will announce details on how borrowers can claim this relief in the coming weeks, with the application expected to be available no later than when the pause on repayments terminates at the end of December. Millions of borrowers will be able to receive relief automatically based on existing income data.

Back
Top Bottom