• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

President-elect Joe Biden's Cabinet and Staff Nominees

She is a known opponent of the oil and gas industries. That is a fact. She even went to North Dakota to protest an oil pipeline in 2016. Nominating a cabinet secretary protesting against the very industry they are tasked at managing/regulating is stupid. It's like having an education secretary who was protesting against public schools!
You keep repeating the same story while omitting the reason for protest which was not anti-oil and gas. f

Derec said:
If the domestic oil and gas production is hamstrung, as I predict will happen under Haaland, then the prices will rise not by recognizing external costs (not "marginal costs") of their extraction and use.
The marginal costs of extraction and use include the external costs.
Derec said:
Taxation would accomplish that. All hamstringing the industry will accomplish is to reduce supply, which means not only higher prices but US energy consumer having to use more imported oil and gas which in turn means more money funding jobs for people in Venezuela or Russia or Saudi Arabia and not in US. Which means fewer jobs, tax revenues and royalties in the US.
Higher prices -regardless of the reasons for the increased costs- mean consumers use less.

There is no reason to expect any carbon taxes in the US in the near future.

You keep repeating the same story while omitting the reason for protest which was not anti-oil and gas. f

The marginal costs of extraction and use include the external costs.
Derec said:
Taxation would accomplish that. All hamstringing the industry will accomplish is to reduce supply, which means not only higher prices but US energy consumer having to use more imported oil and gas which in turn means more money funding jobs for people in Venezuela or Russia or Saudi Arabia and not in US. Which means fewer jobs, tax revenues and royalties in the US.
Higher prices -regardless of the reasons for the increased costs- mean consumers use less.

There is no reason to expect any carbon taxes in the US in the near future.

Sure there is. Just look how Derec keeps broadcasting his fear mongering. Someone might actually believe if they are Trump conditioned.

Deb Haaland is now confirmed as Secretary of the Interior.

The vote on her confirmation: U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 117th Congress - 1st Session
D: Y 47, nv 3
R: Y 4, N 40, nv 6
Total: Y 51, N 40, nv 9

The four Republicans who voted for her were Susan Collins R-ME, Lisa Murkowski and Dan Sullivan R-AK, Lindsey Graham R-SC

The three Democrats who did not vote were Michael Bennet and John Hickenlooper D-CO, Mazie Hirono D-HI

Who Are President Biden's Cabinet Members And Key Advisers? : NPR - 17 confirmed, 16 to go

• Debra Anne Haaland - Sec'y of the Interior - 54-42, 51-40
  • Isabella Casillas Guzman - Admin. of the Small Business Administration - 80-18, 81-17
  • Katherine C. Tai - US Trade Representative - 98-0, 98-0
  • Xavier Becerra - Sec'y of Health & Human Services - 51-48, 50-49, 50-49
  • Martin Joseph Walsh - Sec'y of Labor - 58-30, (conf. vote upcoming)
For Xavier Becerra, the votes were straight party-line votes, with the exception of Susan Collins R-ME, who voted to advance his appointment and to confirm it.

There was one nonvoter in all three votes, Richard Burr R-NC in the first one and Mazie Hirono D-HI in the second and third ones.

Rep. Cedric Richmond, D-LA-02, resigned on Jan 15 to become the Director of the Office of Public Engagement in the Biden Admin.

Fundraising shows Dem split for one Louisiana seat, GOP unity for another
Louisiana special election to replace Richmond heads to runoff | TheHill
Louisiana Primary Election Results 2021 - The New York Times
From rollcall.com
In the solidly blue 2nd District, state Sens. Troy Carter and Karen Carter Peterson, both Democrats, raised the most of the 15 candidates on the ballot, with Carter pulling in $519,000 to Carter Peterson’s $450,000.

Democrat Gary Chambers, a progressive publisher and activist who has attracted attention because of his massive social media following, was in third place with $304,000, followed by Republican Claston Bernard, a former Olympic decathlete and author who raised $113,000.
From the NYT: TC 36.4%, KCP 22.9%, GC 21.3%, CB 9.8%, others much less
The election is now in a runoff phase, with TC and KCP going head-to-head on Apr 24.

Rep. Marcia Fudge, D-OH-11, resigned from the House on Mar. 10, after she was confirmed as Sec'y of Housing & Urban Development. Progressive favorite fmr OH State Sen Nina Turner is running for that seat, against some other people.
The primary election will be on Aug 3, and the general one on Nov 2.

The Stephanie Miller Show is selling these designed T shirts. Cool!

psakibomb1.jpg
psakibomb2.jpg

Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas fires almost every member of Homeland Security Advisory Council

Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas fired most of the members of the Homeland Security Advisory Council on Friday, according to a letter obtained by ABC News.

The Homeland Security Advisory Council is made up of 30 members -- both Democrats and Republicans. Some of those who were fired included allies of former President Donald Trump, such as former acting DHS Deputy Secretary Ken Cuccinelli and former acting Immigration and Customs Enforcement Director Thomas Homan.

"I am considering how the HSAC can bring the greatest value to the Department and how the expertise, judgment, and counsel of its Members can be harnessed most effectively to advance the Department's mission. I expect to work closely with the HSAC and to rely on its Members to help guide the Department through a period of change," Mayorkas wrote.

The HSAC produces reports and advises the secretary on a range of issues from domestic violent extremism to biometrics.

Who Are President Biden's Cabinet Members And Key Advisers? : NPR
U.S. Senate: Roll Call Votes 117th Congress - 1st Session (2021)
  • Martin Joseph Walsh - Sec'y of Labor - 68-30, 68-29
  • Shalanda D. Young - Dep Dir of Office of Mgmt & Budget - 62-38, 63-37
  • Vivek Hallegere Murthy - Surgeon General - 57-43, 57-43
  • Rachel Leland Levine - Ass't Sec'y of Health & Human Svcs - 52-48, 52-48
  • David Turk - Dep Sec'y of Energy - 98-2, 98-2
Only 2 Senators rejected David Turk: Rand Paul R-TN & Josh Hawley R-MO.

Only 11 appointees to go, including Samantha Power, nominated for Administrator of the U.S. Agency for International Development. I recall her from the Obama years.

No replacement for Neera Tanden for Office of Management of Budget.

It's interesting to look at close confirmation votes. Betsy DeVos, for example, is corrupt, criminal, incompetent and stupid. It's hard to imagine any respectable Senator voting to confirm her, and indeed even two Gopsters — Collins and Murkowski — voted against her. The only reason she was confirmed is that Sessions of Alabama, abstaining on most of the confirmation votes since he was himself designated as Trump's Criminal General, broke that pattern to say 'Yea' for DeVos. Vice Prez Pence broke the 50-50 tie.

So when I see a close vote, I check.
[*]Rachel Leland Levine - Ass't Sec'y of Health & Human Svcs - 52-48, 52-48

I'd never heard of Levine. Could she be a total incompetent like Perry, Carson or DeVos? A criminal like Ross or DeVos? Someone fundamentally despicable like Mnuchin or DeVos?

I Wiki'ed her:
... professor of pediatrics and psychiatry at the Penn State College of Medicine, and previously served as the Pennsylvania physician general
:confused: She seems qualified. No mention of any felonies.
... one of only a few openly transgender government officials in the United States
Okay. Got it. Dis 'Murica.

The latest nominees
  • Polly Ellen Trottenberg - Dep Sec'y of Transport - 81-14, 82-15
  • Wendy Ruth Sherman - Dep Sec'y of State - 55-42, 56-42
  • Gary Gensler - Mbr of Securities and Exchange Commission - 53-45, 53-45
  • Brenda Mallory - Mbr of Council on Environmental Quality - 53-45, 53-45

NPR lists 27 confirmed, 7 awaiting confirmation. Along those waiting are Samantha Power for Admin of U.S. Agency for International Development. She served as Ambassador to the United Nations over 2013-2017, Obama's second term.

About nominee Vanita Gupta:
Under fire, Biden nominee Gupta voices regret for 'harsh rhetoric' | Reuters
Vanita Gupta, President Joe Biden’s nominee for the Justice Department’s No. 3 post, expressed regret on Tuesday for her past “harsh rhetoric” and said she does not favor cutting police funding, as she faced sharp Republican criticism during her U.S. Senate confirmation hearing.

Senator Chuck Grassley, the panel’s top Republican, read aloud past posts from Gupta’s Twitter feed in which she assailed Republicans. He accused Gupta of “strident liberal advocacy” and excessive partisanship, reflecting opposition to her Senate confirmation from some Republicans and conservative activists.

“Her Twitter feed has painted Republicans with a broad brush, describing the Republican National Convention as three nights of ‘racism, xenophobia and outrageous lies,’” Grassley said.

Gupta pledged to work with law enforcement and with Republicans if confirmed.

“I regret the harsh rhetoric that I have used in the past at times in the last several years,” Gupta said. “I wish I could take it back.”

Republicans questioned Gupta on her views on racism after she said it “remains very much a live problem in America today.” Republicans tried to portray her as flip-flopping on policy positions, pointing to past comments on decriminalizing drugs and eliminating the qualified immunity legal doctrine that has shielded some police officers accused of misconduct from liability.

Questioned by Republican Senator John Cornyn, Gupta said her prior statements opposing qualified immunity came in her capacity as head of a civil rights group.

“I don’t come in supporting it - elimination - one way or another,” Gupta added, saying her duty would be to follow Biden’s lead on policy and engaging with interested parties on the topic.
For the #2 post is Lisa Monaco, someone who has provoked less controversy.

U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 117th Congress - 1st Session - On the Motion to Discharge (Motion to Discharge the Nomination of Vanita Gupta from the Committee on the Judiciary)
The votes:
D: Y 49, N 0, nv 1
R: Y 0, N 34, nv 16

This will presumably mean a floor vote on her nomination.

Ariel Eckblad Named Deputy Assistant Secretary in Biden Administration
Ariel P. Eckblad, C'2010, was recently appointed deputy assistant secretary in the Department of State’s Bureau of Conflict and Stabilization Operations. The California native leads the Bureau’s efforts to anticipate, prevent, and respond to conflict and instability in Africa and Asia. She also oversees the Bureau’s office of program design, monitoring, and evaluation.

Most recently chief-of-staff in the Office of Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Eckblad (who beat out 5,500 applicants to land that role) had been the National Security Legislative Counsel in the former Senate office of Vice President Kamala Harris. Outside of government, she was the visiting Mullen Seminar of Law professor at Georgetown University.  She has taught negotiation and dispute resolution at the American University Washington College of Law, Georgetown University Law Center, Harvard Graduate School of Education, and Harvard Law School.

I don't like Tanden, but Manchin is an ass.

Fuck Manchin! Fuck Collins! Fuck Murkowski! All three put political correctness and identity politics over the good of the country.
$5 gas is not far off under Haaland hamstringing oil and gas industry and shutting down pipelines.
View attachment 32193

It's almost $6/gallon in Denmark.
Poor fuckers are going under - can't afford healthcare.
Oh wait - no, that's the US.

The price of gasoline in Thailand is over $4/gallon. This is a country where college graduates may start with a $500 monthly salary, and a majority of the population makes much less than that. It wasn't so long ago that gas was $1/gallon; the price hike has had major effects.

Yet I've never heard a Thai complain about the price of gas (though they routinely offer to buy gas when being driven as a favor). Is whining about the price of gas a peculiarly American practice? Most developed countries have gas more expensive than the U.S.; do they whine about the price and about taxation whenever they fill their tanks?

Sometimes it's hard for me to believe that the country that rescued Western Europe from Hitler, that landed a Man on the Moon, is the same country we see today, with right-wing whiners and cruel cowardly cops. I burst out laughing when I read that a founding member of the Oath Keepers was turning state's evidence: I guess the "Oath" (if they even took one) of these big brave freedom-loving Trump lovers didn't include Omertà.

ETA: The final sentence may seem unrelated. But for me, the cruel cowardly, usually racist, cops; the moronic followers of QAnon; the government haters who whine about Biden whenever they fill their gas tanks; the trollish message boarders who never have more to contribute than snide one-liners.; and Trump-lickers with a pretentious name like Oath Keepers but who can't keep an oath — they all blur into one contemptible turd-pile for me.

It's almost $6/gallon in Denmark.
Poor fuckers are going under - can't afford healthcare.
Oh wait - no, that's the US.

The price of gasoline in Thailand is over $4/gallon. This is a country where college graduates may start with a $500 monthly salary, and a majority of the population makes much less than that. It wasn't so long ago that gas was $1/gallon; the price hike has had major effects.

Yet I've never heard a Thai complain about the price of gas (though they routinely offer to buy gas when being driven as a favor). Is whining about the price of gas a peculiarly American practice? Most developed countries have gas more expensive than the U.S.; do they whine about the price and about taxation whenever they fill their tanks?

Sometimes it's hard for me to believe that the country that rescued Western Europe from Hitler, that landed a Man on the Moon, is the same country we see today, with right-wing whiners and cruel cowardly cops. I burst out laughing when I read that a founding member of the Oath Keepers was turning state's evidence: I guess the "Oath" (if they even took one) of these big brave freedom-loving Trump lovers didn't include Omertà.

ETA: The final sentence may seem unrelated. But for me, the cruel cowardly, usually racist, cops; the moronic followers of QAnon; the government haters who whine about Biden whenever they fill their gas tanks; the trollish message boarders who never have more to contribute than snide one-liners.; and Trump-lickers with a pretentious name like Oath Keepers but who can't keep an oath — they all blur into one contemptible turd-pile for me.

It's part of a pattern of distraction and bad faith.

Someone walks into a bar and gets dragged out for belligerent public endangerment? Cue an indignant tantrum about "hair pulling". Someone blocked from destroying the environment? "GAS PRICES are too high!!!111". Someone shoots a bunch of people in a mass shooting and so the left tries to do something about the ubiquity of weapons in public life? "But Good Guys with Guns™ can't be "good guys" then!"

There's always going to be a bad argument framed to look good in response to any thing the left does.

What is necessary is to keep a log of these bad reasons, each attached imminently to the response wherein the bad argument embedded is laid bare and bad, and have it all ready the moment they so much as try and land their bad faith bullshit. They will do it, so make sure the trap is already laid.

Vanita Gupta Wins Confirmation As Associate Attorney General : NPR
The Senate on Wednesday narrowly voted to confirm Vanita Gupta as associate attorney general, elevating a longtime civil rights attorney to the third-highest position inside the Justice Department on the same day the agency announced renewed efforts to monitor local police practices.

Gupta was confirmed by a vote of 51 to 49, with only one Republican, Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, breaking ranks to join Democrats in approving her nomination.

During her confirmation hearing, Gupta apologized for any "harsh rhetoric" she has used against Republicans but nonetheless struggled to win GOP support. In remarks ahead of the vote, Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., announced he would oppose Gupta, saying she had "levied attacks on members of this body" and "amplified left-wing fear-mongering toward judicial nominees and sitting federal judges."

Explaining her party-breaking support for Gupta, Alaska's Murkowski said that while some of the nominee's past remarks troubled her, she was ultimately swayed by a lengthy conversation with Gupta.

"I am going to give the benefit of the doubt to a woman who I believe has demonstrated throughout her professional career to be deeply, deeply committed to matters of justice," Murkowski said.

Gupta won similar praise during her confirmation from the Fraternal Order of Police, the nation's largest law enforcement union.
By comparison, Lisa Monaco became Deputy Attorney General almost unanimously, with only Ted Cruz and Rand Paul voting against her.

Lists 31 confirmed and 3 to go.
  • Director, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau - Rohit Chopra
  • Director, Office of Science and Technology Policy - Eric Lander
  • Director, Office of Management and Budget - (no proposed successor of Neera Tanden)
  • Vanita Gupta - Assoc Atty Gnrl - 49-34, 50-49, 50-49, 50-49
  • Lisa O. Monaco - Dep Atty Gnrl - 94-3, 98-2
  • Colin Hackett Kahl - Udr Sec'y of Defense - 50-50, 49-44, 49-45
  • Jason Scott Miller - Dep Dir of Office of Management and Budget - 82-13, 81-13
  • Janet Garvin McCabe - Dep Admin of the Environmental Protection Agency - 52-42, 52-42
  • Samantha Power - Admin of the US Agency for International Development - 67-28, 68-26
SP was an ambassador to the United Nations in the Obama years.

I'm thinking of plopping all the numbers into some data-analysis software to see how consistent the votes are.

More and more.
  • Andrea Joan Palm - Dep Sec'y of Health & Human Svcs - 62-35, 61-37
  • Cynthia Minette Marten - Dep Sec'y of Education - 54-44, 54-44
  • Ronald Stroman - Gov of US Postal Service - 68-30, 69-30, 67-32, 66-32
  • Amber Faye McReynolds - Gov of US Postal Service - 60-38, 59-38
  • Donet Dominic Graves - Dep Sec'y of Commerce - 89-7
Discharged from the Finance Committee:
  • Chiquita Brooks-LaSure - Admin of the Ctrs for Medicare and Medicaid Svcs - 51-48

She's back!
Neera Tanden joins White House as a senior adviser after withdrawing Cabinet nomination - CNNPolitics
A longtime health policy expert, Tanden will begin planning for potential policy changes that could result from the forthcoming Supreme Court decision on Republican legal efforts to strike down the Affordable Care Act. She worked in former President Barack Obama's administration as the act was designed and implemented.
She withdrew after getting a lot of criticism over her tweets about some politicians. Serving in her place is the deputy OMB director, Shalanda Young.
Tanden was a longtime aide to Hillary Clinton who became president of the liberal Center for American Progress after leaving the Obama administration.
She will not need Senate confirmation.

Discharged from the Judiciary Committee:
  • Kristen M. Clarke - Ass't Atty Gnrl - 50-48
No other changes.

• Chiquita Brooks-LaSure - Admin of the Ctrs for Medicare and Medicaid Svcs - 51-48, 52-43, 55-44
  • Kristen M. Clarke - Ass't Atty Gnrl - 50-48, 51-48, 51-48

Of the remaining three, Eric Lander is confirmed as Director, Office of Science and Technology Policy by voice vote. The other two:
  • Director, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau - Rohit Chopra
  • Director, Office of Management and Budget - (no proposed successor of Neera Tanden)

No progress on the missing ones in NPR's list.
  • Julien Xavier Neals - US Dist Judge for Dist of NJ - 66-28, 66-33
  • Regina M. Rodriguez - US Dist Judge for Dist of NJ - 72-28, 72-28
  • Zahid N. Quraishi - US Dist Judge for Dist of NJ - 83-16, 81-16
  • Ketanji Brown Jackson - US Crct Judge for Dist of NJ - 52-46, 53-44
  • Lina M. Khan - Fed Trade Cmsnr - 72-25, 69-28
  • Radhika Fox - Ass't Admin of the EPA - 55-43, 55-43
  • Lydia Kay Griggsby - US Dist Judge for Dist of MD - 57-41, 59-39
  • Tommy P. Beaudreau - Dep Sec'y of the Interior - 89-9, 88-9
  • John K. Tien - Dep Sec'y of Homeland Security - 63-33, 60-34
  • Charles Fonzone - Gen Cnsl of the Office of Nat'l Intel - 52-35, 55-45
  • Kiran Arjandas Ahuja - Dir of the Office of Psnl Mgmt - 50-50, 50-50
Mostly judges now.

More appointees.
  • Deborah L. Boardman - US Dist Judge for Dist of MD - 52-48, 52-48
  • Candace Jackson-Akiwumi - US Crct Judge for 7th Crct - 53-47, 53-40
  • Uzra Zeya - Und Sec'y of State (Civ Sec, Dem, Hmn Rts) - 71-23, 73-24
  • Julie A. Su - Dep Sec'y of Labor - 50-47, 50-47
  • Jocelyn Samuels - Member of the EEOC - 53-47, 52-47
  • Seema Nanda - Slctr for the Dep't of Labor - 53-47, 52-46
  • J. Nellie Liang - Und Sec'y of the Treasury - 72-27, 72-27
  • Donald Michael Remy - Dep Sec'y of Vet Affairs - 90-8, 91-8
  • Tiffany P. Cunningham - US Crct Judge for Fed Crct - 63-34, 63-33

Incomplete one:
  • Jennifer Ann Abruzzo - Gnrl Cnsl of the NLRB - 50-48 (discharged from committee)

Back
Top Bottom