• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

President Trump Officially Moves to Florida

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
At least in official residence.

Trump, Lifelong New Yorker, Declares Himself a Resident of Florida - The New York Times
The president filed a “declaration of domicile” last month saying that his property in Palm Beach will be his permanent residence.
That's Mar-a-Lago.

Trump ditches New York to become a Florida resident, court documents show - CNNPolitics
The documents assert that the Florida resort is now Trump's "predominant and principal home." They list his former address as that of Trump Tower in New York, and the addresses of his "other places of abode" as those of the White House and the private Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, New Jersey.

Donald J. Trump on Twitter: "1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, the White House, is the place I have come to love and will stay for, hopefully, another 5 years as we MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, but my family and I will be making Palm Beach, Florida, our Permanent Residence. I cherish New York, and the people of....." / Twitter

Donald J. Trump on Twitter: "....New York, and always will, but unfortunately, despite the fact that I pay millions of dollars in city, state and local taxes each year, I have been treated very badly by the political leaders of both the city and state. Few have been treated worse. I hated having to make...." / Twitter

Donald J. Trump on Twitter: "....this decision, but in the end it will be best for all concerned. As President, I will always be there to help New York and the great people of New York. It will always have a special place in my heart!" / Twitter

Mar-a-Lago is not only vulnerable to hurricanes, it is also very close to sea level. Meaning...

Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Florida estate to be submerged by rising sea levels due to climate change | The Independent

Trump axed a rule that would help protect coastal properties like Mar-a-Lago from flooding - Vox

He was always hated here and knows that he'd be endlessly pelted with human feces if he ever moved back after impeachment, so like the coward he is he's turning tail and running away.

Or...
New York is about to go thru his taxes with a microscope and a chainsaw. If (heh) they find he owes money, and he cannot pay in cash, they can start grabbing his properties to pay off the debt.
In most states, thry cannot take his residence. The law provides that he keeps shelter for his family.
But most sdtates have an upper limit. $300K, or $200K, or some limit.
So he could keenp an apartment, but not all of Trump Tower.

Florida has no upper limit, though. If MarALago is his official residence, no state action by Florida or in cooperation with Florida, can touch the resort, or any money tied up in the real estate.

If he lives into his nineties, he might want to buy & try out scuba gear.
Submarines.
Trump Submarines.
Only the best, the huuuuugest, most luxury-flaunting vessels. Whenever you need to hide from flooding, dive under a hurticane, make a spped run to outside the 12 mile limit...

And like his Cabinet, one sail, 15 snorkels.

Could be that he knows he is going down.... Or it could be that he is just another old man who wants a sunnier climate. Time will tell.

Could be that he knows he is going down.... Or it could be that he is just another old man who wants a sunnier climate. Time will tell.
He owns several resorts and has no restrictions on his time. He has no need to shift his home of record in order to winter in Florida.

Florida Man Tries to
Outsmart Legal System, …

(you finish the headline)

2 of the funniest things I heard about this..

1) an old person moves from NY to FL... surprise!
2) Now everything Trump does will make much more sense when the headlines start, "Florida Man...."

He may end up holed up at Mar-a-Lago like Howard Hughes camped out at the Desert Inn Hotel. Unkempt and mentally ill. A self described germophobe like Hughes.

Or...
New York is about to go thru his taxes with a microscope and a chainsaw. If (heh) they find he owes money, and he cannot pay in cash, they can start grabbing his properties to pay off the debt.
In most states, thry cannot take his residence. The law provides that he keeps shelter for his family.
But most sdtates have an upper limit. $300K, or $200K, or some limit.
So he could keenp an apartment, but not all of Trump Tower.

Florida has no upper limit, though. If MarALago is his official residence, no state action by Florida or in cooperation with Florida, can touch the resort, or any money tied up in the real estate.

Does that even apply to financial moves made after the cause of the problem, though? Usually such things can be reversed if they were made to shield money from a specific issue. (But not if they are simply done in general to lower one's risk.)

an interesting thought... but it is NY that would be taking action, not FL. So wouldn't it be NY's upper limit, not Florida's, regardless of where the property was located?

A simpler explanation is that he is setting up his retirement.. like every one of the other 63,722 NY residents that moved to florida in 2017 did. Florida gets more implants from NY than any other state... https://www.democratandchronicle.co...florida-more-than-any-other-state/3616563002/
Its such a stereotype... NY'ers retiring in FL.

a guy I once knew from South Carolina that was staying in NY for work was talking about where he wanted to move to... I asked him what he thought of Florida and he said, "If I wanted to be around that many Yankees, I'd stay in NY".

A simpler explanation is that he is setting up his retirement

Trump's entire brand is that he is a king of New York real estate, so, no that is not a simpler explanation. He's also supposedly a billionaire, so there is no particular advantage to him retiring anywhere from a financial need perspective.

The most likely explanation is that he has always been a laughing stock in New York, but his ego never let him care. Now, however, he's not only a laughing stock, he's been exposed by the New York Times as a complete fraud--which will soon turn into criminal indictments--and openly detested.

Even a narcissist recognizes when everyone hates you, but you add in criminal prosecution and any hope of recovering his brand name--which is literally all he ever had to begin with as it was all his father's doing, not his--and he's fucked if lived in NY again.

Its such a stereotype... NY'ers retiring in FL.

Jewish New Yorkers is actually the stereotype, at least up here.

More likely it is because Florida has no state income taxes.
Trump pays taxes?

Trump "moved" to Florida likely because it was the only other state he had a connection to. Time will tell if his move actually has legs anyways. How can a President move from NY to FL, if he lives in DC? There are likely requirements for actually claiming residence in a state. This can be attested by a bazillion teens going to out of state colleges.

Back
Top Bottom