• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

President Trump, the Golfer in Chief

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Donald Trump has a golf problem - CNNPolitics
President Donald Trump spent the past five days at the self-dubbed "Southern White House" at his Mar-a-Lago resort. How did he spend his time? Well, he played golf Wednesday and Thursday. And Friday, Saturday and Sunday too.
He slammed his predecessor for playing golf allegedly far too much.
SBNation counted 27(!) times between 2011 and 2016 that Trump attacked Obama for playing golf when he should have been -- in Trump's mind -- working.

And during the 2016 campaign, Trump regularly harped on Obama's golf game as a sign of a lack of commitment to the job.
Also,
Trump also repeatedly insisted that although he loved golf -- he has said it is his primary form of exercise! -- he wouldn't be playing if he was elected president.

"If I win I may never see my property -- I may never see these places again," he said in August 2016. "But because I'm going to be working for you, I'm not going to have time to go golfing, believe me. Believe me. Believe me, folks."
However, when he was elected President, he has golfed at around 10 times Obama's rate of golfing while president.

If the moron is golfing he is not destroying something with his stupidity.

Would someone prefer that he be in the office making decisions?

Kind of... because otherwise, it means a lot of other people are making them (unchecked) without him.

Honestly, neither option is really preferable.

No, I don't think anyone expects, or wants, change, but just to point out the chutzpah of the hypocrisy. Both his and those that continue to approve of this major failing of a campaign promise.

- - - Updated - - -

Kind of... because otherwise, it means a lot of other people are making them (unchecked) without him.

Honestly, neither option is really preferable.
Mox Nix.
If he's there, he's going to do whatever the last person told him needed to happen...

What I don't get is why his own supporters are so fine with this. The golf thing in itself, as a physical event, is minor. But it's inarguably symbolic of Trump. A hypocritical, arrogant, pampered, self-centered, tone deaf trust fund baby with a conscience so meager, it may as well not exist.

What does the Forgotten Man have to say about this?

"Shtopp pickin' on Trump! The media's never been so hard on any president!" Apparently these are Fox News viewers with catastrophic memory loss.

The Whatabouts have largely faded though. They still pop up like herpes on the body politic's johnson, but those retardedly fervent justifications are now more of a that's so 2017 kind of thing. The golf thing however, is still that pus-filled little lesion that never goes away; a constant reminder of the differences between what Trump promised, and what he actually does--and who he really is.

I guess this is as good a place as any to put this.

"In my life, I have watched John Kennedy talk on television about missiles in Cuba. I saw Lyndon Johnson look Richard Russell squarely in the eye and and say, "And we shall overcome." I saw Richard Nixon resign and Gerald Ford tell the Congress that our long national nightmare was over. I saw Jimmy Carter talk about malaise and Ronald Reagan talk about a shining city on a hill. I saw George H.W. Bush deliver the eulogy for the Soviet bloc, and Bill Clinton comfort the survivors of Timothy McVeigh's madness in Oklahoma City. I saw George W. Bush struggle to make sense of it all on September 11, 2001, and I saw Barack Obama sing 'Amazing Grace' in the wounded sanctuary of Mother Emanuel Church in Charleston, South Carolina.

"These were the presidents of my lifetime. These were not perfect men. They were not perfect presidents, god knows. Not one of them was that. But they approached the job, and they took to the podium, with all the gravitas they could muster as appropriate to the job. They tried, at least, to reach for something in the presidency that was beyond their grasp as ordinary human beings. They were not all ennobled by the attempt, but they tried nonetheless.

"And comes now this hopeless, vicious buffoon, and the audience of equally hopeless and vicious buffoons who laughed and cheered when he made sport of a woman whose lasting memory of the trauma she suffered is the laughter of the perpetrators. Now he comes, a man swathed in scandal, with no interest beyond what he can put in his pocket and what he can put over on a universe of suckers, and he does something like this while occupying an office that we gave him, and while endowed with a public trust that he dishonors every day he wakes up in the White House.

"The scion of a multigenerational criminal enterprise, the parameters of which we are only now beginning to comprehend. A vessel for all the worst elements of the American condition. And a cheap, soulless bully besides. We never have had such a cheap counterfeit of a president* as currently occupies the office. We never have had a president* so completely deserving of scorn and yet so small in the office that it almost seems a waste of time and energy to summon up the requisite contempt.

"Watch how a republic dies in the empty eyes of an empty man who feels nothing but his own imaginary greatness, and who cannot find in himself the decency simply to shut up even when it is in his best interest to do so. Presidents don't have to be heroes to be good presidents. They just have to realize that their humanity is our common humanity, and that their political commonwealth is our political commonwealth, too.

Watch him behind the seal of the President of the United States. Isn't he a funny man? Isn't what happened to that lady hilarious? Watch the assembled morons cheer. This is the only story now."

- Charles Pierce

Back
Top Bottom