• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Probability as a function of knowledge or of coincidence?

PyramidHead

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Marxist-Leninist
Suppose I am an omniscient being who knows the position and trajectory of all particles in the universe at any given time, like Laplace's demon.

I am assigned a lottery number by a computer when I buy a ticket (I do not pick the number myself). Looking at the number, and comparing it to what I know will be the result of the lottery tomorrow night based on my perfect knowledge of the future, I see that the number I was just assigned is the winning number.

It seems that I can now simultaneously hold two true beliefs about the situation:

1. There is a 100% probability that the number I was assigned will be the winning lottery number tomorrow.

(I believe this because I know the exact way the lady on TV will reach into the little container, the exact position of all the numbered balls, etc.)

2. The fact that I was randomly assigned the winning lottery number is an improbable coincidence.

(I believe this because there were many more trajectories the future could have taken that did not result in my number being picked, compared to the restricted number of trajectories in which it was picked.)

Even in a fully determined universe, the proportion of ways in which a fair lottery drawing could follow a path determined by initial conditions and governing laws and result in my independently selected number being picked is necessarily smaller than the ways it could have resulted in a number other than mine being picked, if the initial conditions and governing laws were slightly different than they were. Thus, I am presented with what seems like a paradox: tomorrow's lottery drawing will unfold in a completely expected, unsurprising manner from my omniscient vantage point, but its outcome will nonetheless be improbable from that same vantage point.

Clearly there are two forces at play here. One is my available knowledge. The more knowledge I have, the more confident I can be of some future event happening or not; the probability I assign to it will approach 0 or 1 in light of each new piece of data. Since my knowledge is infinite in this example, I assign a probability of 1 to the event.

The other is the coincidental relationship between an event and an independent designation, which in this example is the coincidence between the computer assigning me a number and the lady drawing that number from the container tomorrow. Regardless of how much knowledge I possess, as long as these two events were not connected in any way, there will have been many more ways for the two numbers to be different than ways for them to be the same.

One way to resolve this tension is to say that the first statement is a misuse of the word 'probability'. Confidence, expectation, and surprise are not measurements of actual probability, even though they may accompany some assignments of probability (because we are humans and not omniscient beings). It would be more accurate to say:

1. I know that the number I was assigned will be the winning lottery number tomorrow.

Which has nothing to do with improbability, and so doesn't say anything about improbability. This separates the epistemological aspect from the statistical aspect of the event. Actual improbability would depend on the intersection between an event--no matter how predictable--and an unrelated designation of the same event, at the same level of description. So, while we may use probability inferences as a substitute for epistemic confidence when we lack complete knowledge, strictly speaking they are not saying the same things.

For example, when CNN reports the projected winner of an election based on the votes so far, the number they display is not really a probability (which in a two-person race is always 50/50) but a measurement of how justified a certain expectation is in light of the evidence on hand.

Does this make sense?

Suppose I am an omniscient being who knows the position and trajectory of all particles in the universe at any given time, like Laplace's demon.

I am assigned a lottery number by a computer when I buy a ticket (I do not pick the number myself). Looking at the number, and comparing it to what I know will be the result of the lottery tomorrow night based on my perfect knowledge of the future, I see that the number I was just assigned is the winning number.

It seems that I can now simultaneously hold two true beliefs about the situation:

1. There is a 100% probability that the number I was assigned will be the winning lottery number tomorrow.

(I believe this because I know the exact way the lady on TV will reach into the little container, the exact position of all the numbered balls, etc.)

2. The fact that I was randomly assigned the winning lottery number is an improbable coincidence.

(I believe this because there were many more trajectories the future could have taken that did not result in my number being picked, compared to the restricted number of trajectories in which it was picked.)

Even in a fully determined universe, the proportion of ways in which a fair lottery drawing could follow a path determined by initial conditions and governing laws and result in my independently selected number being picked is necessarily smaller than the ways it could have resulted in a number other than mine being picked, if the initial conditions and governing laws were slightly different than they were. Thus, I am presented with what seems like a paradox: tomorrow's lottery drawing will unfold in a completely expected, unsurprising manner from my omniscient vantage point, but its outcome will nonetheless be improbable from that same vantage point.

Clearly there are two forces at play here. One is my available knowledge. The more knowledge I have, the more confident I can be of some future event happening or not; the probability I assign to it will approach 0 or 1 in light of each new piece of data. Since my knowledge is infinite in this example, I assign a probability of 1 to the event.

The other is the coincidental relationship between an event and an independent designation, which in this example is the coincidence between the computer assigning me a number and the lady drawing that number from the container tomorrow. Regardless of how much knowledge I possess, as long as these two events were not connected in any way, there will have been many more ways for the two numbers to be different than ways for them to be the same.

One way to resolve this tension is to say that the first statement is a misuse of the word 'probability'. Confidence, expectation, and surprise are not measurements of actual probability, even though they may accompany some assignments of probability (because we are humans and not omniscient beings). It would be more accurate to say:

1. I know that the number I was assigned will be the winning lottery number tomorrow.

Which has nothing to do with improbability, and so doesn't say anything about improbability. This separates the epistemological aspect from the statistical aspect of the event. Actual improbability would depend on the intersection between an event--no matter how predictable--and an unrelated designation of the same event, at the same level of description. So, while we may use probability inferences as a substitute for epistemic confidence when we lack complete knowledge, strictly speaking they are not saying the same things.

For example, when CNN reports the projected winner of an election based on the votes so far, the number they display is not really a probability (which in a two-person race is always 50/50) but a measurement of how justified a certain expectation is in light of the evidence on hand.

Does this make sense?

It seems that you generate the tension by treating the demons as omniscient after the purchase but less so before. It seems to me that the situation would have to be one of the demon choosing (or being itself determined, depending on how you play that) to buy the winning ticket. Not only would it be no surprise, but it would have made a very deliberate (or determined) choice to got to that place at that time to be in the right place to buy that ticket. I wouldn't have to look at the the ticket and compare. I'd know. I'd have known for ever. Probability drops out of the equation when I knew from the beginning that I would be buying that ticket and subsequently winning. In the situation you describe, the probability was always one.

Does this make sense?

I am pretty sure that the probability of candidate A beating candidate B in a two person race is almost never 50/50. The best guess at the probability of A winning, given ZERO other information, is 50/50; But any additional information about the candidates or the electorate would change that assessment.

In real world situations, if there are two possibilities, then it is almost always wrong to simply declare them equally probable. If you want 50/50 odds, you have to start assuming perfection - an ideal fair coin is a useful analogy for a 50/50 decision, but such things are not a feature of the real world, any more than is a spherical horse in a vacuum.

As far as I am aware, the very definition of 'probability' is "a measurement of how justified a certain expectation is in light of the evidence on hand". Can you explain why you think that these should be treated as being different things?

You both raise good points. I have revised my position to accommodate different assessments of probability:

a. There is the probability of an observation occurring given each rival hypothesis.
b. There is the probability, based on the above considerations, of each rival hypothesis being true.
c. There is the overall background probability of each hypothesis being true on its own.

So, for example, if I flip a coin 100 times and get 100 heads, I can evaluate hypotheses about the coin based on this information. If the coin was fair, flipping 100 heads in a row would be an improbable coincidence. If it was a double-headed coin, then 100 heads would be exactly what I'd expect to see. Thus, I would be justified in asserting that the coin is probably double-headed, all else being equal. However, if I investigated the coin and found that it was fair, I would have no choice but to assert that the coin was fair; to continue asserting that it was double-headed would be to favor an even more improbable explanation for what I am observing (the unreliability of my senses, some kind of hi-tech coin that can spontaneously change its faces, etc.).

My original example was flawed because, as Subsymbolic pointed out, as an omniscient being there would be no way for me to play the lottery without knowing whether I would win. If the example were modified to say that I received my lottery ticket as an ordinary human, and then was gifted the power of omniscience (and with it the knowledge that I would be the winner), then this would not make my having received the winning ticket any less improbable, even if the future event that would reveal it as such had yet to occur. So there is really no contradiction here.

There are subjective probabilities and objective mathematical probabilities.

Subjective probabilities are an subjective analysis of observation and information. It is a guess weighted by non numerical history and experience. John and Mary are 70 percent likely to get married.

Cable news project winners based on history, voting margins, and remaining votes in different districts that tend to lean one way or the other.

Improbable is a subjective statement. It is improbable that you will win. However the mathematical odds of you winning can be calculated.

The odds of a machine choosing a certain group of numbers are the same even if some being knows the result somehow.

The odds of a machine assigning a ticket with a certain group of numbers are the same even if a being knows they will match.

What is 100% is only the knowledge of the being.

The odds of the numbers coming up have not changed.

Back
Top Bottom