• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Props to the Voters of Iran

laughing dog

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Dogs rule
Forget France, the big news is that the people of Iran voted in a relative moderate for President!
The low-profile moderate Masoud Pezeshkian, who has pledged to open Iran to the world and deliver freedoms its people have yearned for, has won the country's run-off presidential vote, the interior ministry
Source:
Moderate Pezeshkian wins Iran's presidential race

While the turnout was low, it was higher than the previous Iranian Presidential election.

If the Iranians can vote for the more moderate candidate, can the US do the same thing or will we be headed in the direction of Iran

I read about the Iranian election earlier this week and it did give me. hope, at least for Iran. The new guy said he wants to renegotiate the deal that Trump ended regarding Nuclear weapons. So, why do we have so many dumb ass voters in the US who are ready to put him back in power. That makes me lose hope.

If the Iranians can vote for the more moderate candidate,
"Moderate" is a relative term in Iranian politics. A candidate may only be as moderate as Khamenei and the rest of the clerics who really run the country allow him to be.
can the US do the same thing or will we be headed in the direction of Iran
We are a few more decades away from that danger, although places like Dearborn may be a lost cause.
Welcome to Dearborn, America’s Jihad Capital
WSJ said:
At another rally, held Oct. 14 in front of the Henry Ford Centennial Library, Imam Usama Abdulghani also didn’t hide his support for Hamas’s terrorist actions. The American-born, Iranian-educated Shiite Islamic scholar called Oct. 7 “one of the days of God” and a “miracle come true.” He described the attackers as “honorable.” He said they were “lions” defending “the entire nation of Muhammad the messenger.”
Local enthusiasm for jihad against Israel and the West extends beyond celebration of Hamas. The Islamic Center of America, a leading Dearborn mosque, held a memorial service on Dec. 30 for a Hezbollah operative killed in an Israeli airstrike. The Hadi Institute, which runs an Islamic Montessori school and bills itself as a youth community center, held a “Commemoration of the Martyrs” on Jan. 5. This event honored Quds Force Commander Qassem Soleimani and Abu Mahdi Al-Muhandis, leader of the Iran-backed Popular Mobilization Forces in Iraq. Both men were on the U.S. list of designated terrorists when they were killed in a U.S. airstrike on Jan. 3, 2020. The commemoration included poetry and praise, along with claims about ISIS being operated by both the Central Intelligence Agency and the Mossad. Imam Abdulghani used his remarks to express his “warmest congratulations” to “our very special leader, Imam Khamenei”—essentially declaring allegiance to the Iranian ayatollah who regularly calls for the destruction of the U.S.

"Props". Good word for the "candidates" Khamenei provides to the voters of Iran.
In context, he’s better than our two main choices.

More importantly, the vote show the preferences of the Iranian voting public.
Remember the recent protests against the religious hard liners? I hope that continues.

If the Iranians can vote for the more moderate candidate, can the US do the same thing or will we be headed in the direction of Iran

I read about the Iranian election earlier this week and it did give me. hope, at least for Iran. The new guy said he wants to renegotiate the deal that Trump ended regarding Nuclear weapons. So, why do we have so many dumb ass voters in the US who are ready to put him back in power. That makes me lose hope.
Dumbass voters are the right wing’s bread and butter. That’s why they oppose education - especially free education. Free education means poor people can learn. And when they learn, they find out that it’s not the lib’ruls who have the foot on their neck.

"Props". Good word for the "candidates" Khamenei provides to the voters of Iran.
In context, he’s better than our two main choices.
No argument there. You can't throw a stick in this country without hitting someone better than our two main choices.

More importantly, the vote show the preferences of the Iranian voting public.
Yes. The theocrats periodically give themselves these reminders of why it would be imprudent to allow actual democracy. :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom