• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Protagoras

Almost any derivative of information theory (game theory, decision theory, etc) will get you there. Think of how both teams got estimates of Boson energy, six delta is your clue, for instance. If all one wants is a garden variety of folk, or over-the-fence, understanding like that of Donald Trump about leading Protagoras serves just fine. Meaningless, but serves just fine.

I think what Protagoras does, which your smorgasbord of data systems does not, is, one, focuses on the process instead of the result and two, emphasizes the role of the participant/observer. That the understanding of the universe can reside on a hard drive or in a book is meaningless without a someone to interact with it.

Only problem with that thought, man-measure, is Protagoras' use of 'is' between 'man' and 'measure' which makes the statement one of identity not process.

I agree that at some point an agent needs be present in what I wrote. However mine has the elegance of not presuming the only agent is man and thaat information is manageable by program if there exists sensors for input of data, storage of data, and values gained by analysis of stored data which can be used as output, an actual process.

Only problem with that thought, man-measure, is Protagoras' use of 'is' between 'man' and 'measure' which makes the statement one of identity not process.

The process is the identity. Or, the ability or power to process.

I agree that at some point an agent needs be present in what I wrote. However mine has the elegance of not presuming the only agent is man and thaat information is manageable by program if there exists sensors for input of data, storage of data, and values gained by analysis of stored data which can be used as output, an actual process.

The only elegance in what you propose is that of the universe itself. You presume the message, but you can't or won't voice it, you say, basically, "figure it out for yourself" along with some banalities about the superiority of science. The point here is intelligibility.

Protagoras makes your point better than you do.

The only elegance in what you propose is that of the universe itself. You presume the message, but you can't or won't voice it, you say, basically, "figure it out for yourself" along with some banalities about the superiority of science. The point here is intelligibility.

What point? I think you put a lot of your own thoughts in protagoras mouth...

What point? I think you put a lot of your own thoughts in protagoras mouth...

Horatio is the measure of Protagoras.

Putting a flea (Protagoras) into the shoes of giants (FDI) are you.

Putting a flea (Protagoras) into the shoes of giants (FDI) are you.

Let's check again in 2000 years.

Back
Top Bottom