• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Protecting your money on the ner.

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
When I had an account with Wells Fargo I got two debit cards. ne with complete access to my accounts, and the other limited to the balance on the card.

The second card was intended for internet usage. If I ordered something I transferred enough to cover it. If it got hacked the most damage that could be s done was whatever the balance was.

With Wells Fargo I could make a cash transfer from my credit card to my internet debit card.

I never used debit, period.

If a credit card is compromised at worst you lose the use of that card while it's being straightened out.

If a debit card is compromised at worst you lose the use of the account it's linked to while it's being straightened out.

I never used debit, period.

If a credit card is compromised at worst you lose the use of that card while it's being straightened out.

If a debit card is compromised at worst you lose the use of the account it's linked to while it's being straightened out.

My debit card is only linked to one account. I only use the debit card online with a balance that is not much more than the purchase price of the item.

I went through identity theft. It is a lot easier to deal with canceling a debit card account with a limited balance than dealing with with a stolen credit card number.

I have had my debit card drained by means fraudulent online purchases twice, but the amount was small both time because I do not keep much in this account. The bank sorted it out and issued a new debit card in a matter of two weeks.

Last time I had an issue on my debit card, it took tens minutes to straighten out at the CU and another ten minutes to have a new card made.

I had an issue back in February where my address and phone number associated with my credit card were changed. Apparently I moved to Delaware!

Flagged it as fraudulent, and went to the bank to get it changed back. They also closed the account and issued me a new card.

Last month the bank called me about a $2500 purchase in Wisconsin on my new card. I told them I'd never even been to Wisconsin. Purchase denied, card blocked, new card arrived in the mail.

Thing is, when the first problem popped up I put a freeze on my credit at all the agencies, set up fraud alerts on my accounts, changed all my passwords, etc. Yet they still managed to at least attempt to use my card.

Bottom line: Thieves have stolen my info, and there's no way I can steal it back. Just have to remain vigilant. Forever.

I went through identity theft. It is a lot easier to deal with canceling a debit card account with a limited balance than dealing with with a stolen credit card number.

When you firewall it by use of the limited balance account you provide basically the same defense as with the credit card, but at the cost of more inconvenience.

Last time I had an issue on my debit card, it took tens minutes to straighten out at the CU and another ten minutes to have a new card made.

It's a bit slower dealing with it over the phone, and having the new card sent out in the mail. I could have went to the bank I suppose, but I don't use the card on a daily basis anyway.

I finally broke down and updated my PayPal account. I'd rather avoid using a debit or credit card over the net if avoidable.

Back
Top Bottom