• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Queer theology and the Bible

It doesn’t matter what a 21st century Christian wants. The Bible was written for a first century audience, not a modern technological society which value universal human freedoms, free speech and freedom of religion. If you’re a Christian you should pretty much stay in the first century world.
I presume you not only personally accept the doctrine of sola scriptura, but are willing to declare that those Christians who do not accept it (a number of liberal Protestant churches, Catholics and Orthodox) are not real Christians and can be discounted.

(Had to look it up. Here's an abbreviated definition from its wikipedia page.)
"Sola scriptura...is a Christian theological doctrine held by most Protestant Christian denominations...that posits the Bible as the sole infallible source of authority for Christian faith and practice."

SOLA SCRIPTURA began its life as a battle slogan more so than a doctrine. It is derived from a saying by Martin Luther, the famous Protestant reformer: Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide, Sola Christus. By Scripture alone, Faith alone, Christ alone. Sometimes two other solas are added, Sola Gratia ("grace") and Sola Deo Gloria ("glory of God"). The implication is not unlike the Muslim concept of Tawheed, or fundamental unity -- the life of faith not only does not but cannot contradict what has been revealed in the writings of Scripture. Though conservative Protestants often take this to mean that the Protestant reformers either did or would wholly endorse modern fundamentalist hermeneutics, acceptance of the slogan does not necessarily require textual literalism. Many liberal Christians accept sola scriptura as good theology, but consider the reading, interpretation, and reinterpretation of those Scriptures in light of modern challenges as a natural part of the relationship the church has with a Gospel and god that they consider to be "yet living, not dead" (ELCA Lutheran liturgy), and would advise the faithful to trust their relationship with Christ over possibly moribund teachings about the Bible as "God is still speaking" (slogan of the UCC). To put it another way, the same UCC uses a stylized comma as a denominational icon: a visual abbreviation of the proverb "Never place a period where God has left a comma,"

I have know Evangelicals who reject Mormons and Catholics as authentic Christians, they are not 'bible 'based' as one put it.

In the news The Southrern Baptist Convention is rejecting churches for mentorship if they have feamle ministers.

I think it was Paul who said women are not tp be seen in public teaching mean. They should dress plainly and walk behind men.

The Bible seeks to free men from the dominion of their animal appetites and thereby to attain to reason and the intellectual love of Being.

The Bible seeks to free men from the dominion of their animal appetites and thereby to attain to reason and the intellectual love of Being.
3,000 years later I'm not impressed with the results.

I'm inclined to go with secular humanism. It's produced far better results than Christian dominionism.
Tom

I doubt it was anything about intellectual enlightenment.

The 10 Commandments and Mosaic Law was most likely about civil order, reducing hesitation, and minimizing violence in the interest of overall group security. Rules hast stealing are obvious.

Monogamy ad rules agaisnt adultery reduces male conflict. Rules against fornication prevents kids with no family supporter structure.

Weee t today. Normalize single parenthood, mostly women, and now we have a 'day care crsisis'. Working single parents can not find or afford day care for kids.

However unfounded it may have been, homosexuals were probably perceived as a threat to the group in some way. Making it an offense against god is just way of legitimizing the perception.

As I have said in the past if a gay person chooses to be a Christian and follower of Jesus it is a personal choice.

That being said I don't see how how one can be a gay Chistian and have faith in the bible, the biblical god, and the Jewish Jesus son of the biblical odd.

SOLA SCRIPTURA began its life as a battle slogan more so than a doctrine. It is derived from a saying by Martin Luther, the famous Protestant reformer: Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide, Sola Christus. By Scripture alone, Faith alone, Christ alone. Sometimes two other solas are added, Sola Gratia ("grace") and Sola Deo Gloria ("glory of God"). The implication is not unlike the Muslim concept of Tawheed, or fundamental unity -- the life of faith not only does not but cannot contradict what has been revealed in the writings of Scripture. Though conservative Protestants often take this to mean that the Protestant reformers either did or would wholly endorse modern fundamentalist hermeneutics, acceptance of the slogan does not necessarily require textual literalism. Many liberal Christians accept sola scriptura as good theology, but consider the reading, interpretation, and reinterpretation of those Scriptures in light of modern challenges as a natural part of the relationship the church has with a Gospel and god that they consider to be "yet living, not dead" (ELCA Lutheran liturgy), and would advise the faithful to trust their relationship with Christ over possibly moribund teachings about the Bible as "God is still speaking" (slogan of the UCC). To put it another way, the same UCC uses a stylized comma as a denominational icon: a visual abbreviation of the proverb "Never place a period where God has left a comma,"
Thanks for expanding/explaining. I learned something today.

so the trend in divinity school, at least amongst the liberal churches is queering the Bible. Supposedly Jesus shattered sexual norms in the first century. In it gays are just prophets of the new age. Jesus is an “eccentric ass freak.”

In Duke divinity school, Methodists now celebrate god: “You are drag queen and transman and genderfluid, incapable of limiting your vast expression of beauty.”

in another article they explain away the Bible’s clear admonition against homosexuality.

I’m not buying it. Christianity is undeniably homophobic. Always has been. I see this as just another example of shoving a first century outlook into the 21st century.
Why would Christianity want to embrace a 1st century outlook, rather than facing the world as it now exists? The whole point of liberal theology is that strictly following the letter of doctrine and ritual takes you away from the heart of the true law, which is passionate love of God and others. As Jesus himself taught throughout his entire career.
It doesn’t matter what a 21st century Christian wants. The Bible was written for a first century audience, not a modern technological society which value universal human freedoms, free speech and freedom of religion. If you’re a Christian you should pretty much stay in the first century world.
Why? What possible advantage could that offer?
Eternal salvation

so the trend in divinity school, at least amongst the liberal churches is queering the Bible. Supposedly Jesus shattered sexual norms in the first century. In it gays are just prophets of the new age. Jesus is an “eccentric ass freak.”

In Duke divinity school, Methodists now celebrate god: “You are drag queen and transman and genderfluid, incapable of limiting your vast expression of beauty.”

in another article they explain away the Bible’s clear admonition against homosexuality.

I’m not buying it. Christianity is undeniably homophobic. Always has been. I see this as just another example of shoving a first century outlook into the 21st century.
Why would Christianity want to embrace a 1st century outlook, rather than facing the world as it now exists? The whole point of liberal theology is that strictly following the letter of doctrine and ritual takes you away from the heart of the true law, which is passionate love of God and others. As Jesus himself taught throughout his entire career.
Why? What possible advantage could that offer?
Eternal salvation
Why would being ignorant of what century one is in result in "eternal salvation"?

Back
Top Bottom