• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Question about covid vaccine

• Thread starter Thread starter BH
  • Start date Start date

BH

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Muslim
I have relatives that are scared to take the vaccine because it was developed within a year and may have side effects. Also, they do not understand why we have a vaccine for covid19 but cant find a vaccine for HIV in forty years. How do you respond? I have next to no knowledge of medicine or biology.

I have relatives that refuse to take the vaccine.
My advice to them is to put their money in a trust, not a will. Then the state doesn't drag you thru probate.

I have relatives that are scared to take the vaccine because it was developed within a year and may have side effects. Also, they do not understand why we have a vaccine for covid19 but cant find a vaccine for HIV in forty years. How do you respond? I have next to no knowledge of medicine or biology.

This isn't completely unreasonable; it was a rushed vaccine, to a greater degree than we have perhaps ever seen, and there will probably be side effects for some individuals, though if there were considerable risks they should have been identified by this point. You may find this article helpful: Covid-19 vaccines are safe. But let’s be clear about what ‘safe’ means That said, the danger of the vaccine, though non-zero, pales in comparison to the danger posed by the virus itself. The vaccine won't kill you. COVID-19 has been known to do that.

HIV is complicated by the fact that it is a very vigorous retrovirus; unlike COVID-19, it replicates itself VERY fast and is prone to copying "errors", meaning that a single sufferer may have multiple "strains" of the virus churning away in their body at any one time, and there are more than fifty major variants in the world now. It is also very good at evading the natural immune response system in a way that COVID-19 is not, in part because it attacks the white blood cells directly. A much harder nut to crack.

This isn't completely unreasonable; it was a rushed vaccine, to a greater degree than we have perhaps ever seen, and there will probably be side effects for some individuals, though if there were considerable risks they should have been identified by this point. You may find this article helpful: Covid-19 vaccines are safe. But let’s be clear about what ‘safe’ means That said, the danger of the vaccine, though non-zero, pales in comparison to the danger posed by the virus itself. The vaccine won't kill you. COVID-19 has been known to do that.

HIV is complicated by the fact that it is a very vigorous retrovirus; unlike COVID-19, it replicates itself VERY fast and is prone to copying "errors", meaning that a single sufferer may have multiple "strains" of the virus churning away in their body at any one time, and there are more than fifty major variants in the world now. It is also very good at evading the natural immune response system in a way that COVID-19 is not, in part because it attacks the white blood cells directly. A much harder nut to crack.

Actually, the vaccine wasn't developed "from scratch." It was based on research completed a few years ago for the SARS virus. The Chinese isolated the complete genome of the Covid-19 virus and uploaded the map for worldwide distribution last January. It was a matter of applying the new data to an existing technology. This article, written last July before they had started the final phase of testing, tells the story.

"What really helped was the knowledge gained from the SARS-1 infection,” said Rama Rao Amara, an immunologist and vaccine researcher at Emory University. “SARS-2 is quite similar to SARS-1, especially in that spike protein. People could take a very educated guess that this is the protein that we need to be going after."

This is not meant to take anything away from what was a remarkable achievement!

Last edited:
Actually we have HIV vaccine now. Couple of months ago Russians claimed development of one.

Back
Top Bottom