• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Ready Player One

marc

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist, skeptic, nerd
Just finished this book. A must read for us geeks that grew up in the 80's.

The story is set in a dystopian future. The world sucks, so many people spend most of their time in an online virtual reality called OASIS. It is the place for games, social media, shopping, it is pretty much everything you can do on the internet. When the creator of this virtual universe dies, a video is sent to everyone online. He expresses his love of the 80's, the games, movies, tv, comics, everything. He shows the Atari game Adventure, the first game ever with an easter egg. So he is leaving his 240 billion dollar fortune to whoever finds the easter egg he hid in the virtual universe.

So of course everyone starts studying everything in the 80's. The book is filled with references to things like Zork, The Last Starfighter, Tempest, Ladyhawk, Wargames, Rush, Star Wars, Ultraman, and plenty more. Pretty much most of the stuff I'm into. :D

Thanks for the review. I have been eyeing this one, and will likely pick it up next time I am in the book store.

Back
Top Bottom