• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Relativity

Just thinking out loud.

The metric describes space and time. Distance. Without gravity present space is flat Euclidean? The path a photon takes through space is the distance between two points.

One of validations of relativity was observing a star change position in the presence of a star in the path of the light. The path length of the photons charged in the presence of a star's gravity. Space defined by the path of a photon is warped by gravity.

If I set up a speed trap measuring the speed of photons from a distant star I get C. As a closer star approaches the line of sight photons the speed trap path length increases and measured C drops. Or the clock also slows down due to dilation and C remains constant?

Time dilation has been verified so is the inference all processes including biological vary with dilation?

Comments? I am trying to build a picture before I go out and get a book. Any recommendations for a book?

I suspect a college level textbook would be your best bet. What do they use now at MIT?

Just thinking out loud.

The metric describes space and time. Distance. Without gravity present space is flat Euclidean? The path a photon takes through space is the distance between two points.

One of validations of relativity was observing a star change position in the presence of a star in the path of the light. The path length of the photons charged in the presence of a star's gravity. Space defined by the path of a photon is warped by gravity.

If I set up a speed trap measuring the speed of photons from a distant star I get C. As a closer star approaches the line of sight photons the speed trap path length increases and measured C drops. Or the clock also slows down due to dilation and C remains constant?

Time dilation has been verified so is the inference all processes including biological vary with dilation?

Comments? I am trying to build a picture before I go out and get a book. Any recommendations for a book?

I suspect a college level textbook would be your best bet. What do they use now at MIT?

There is relastivity curse on video free at MIT's Open Course. They put up course notes, exams, homeworks, and lecture video.

I'd need a review of linear algebra and learn tensors at least. Otherwise I'd be struggling.

If you have not seen it MIT Open Course.

https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

GR at the bottom.

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/

Just thinking out loud.

There is relastivity curse on video free at MIT's Open Course. They put up course notes, exams, homeworks, and lecture video.

I'd need a review of linear algebra and learn tensors at least. Otherwise I'd be struggling.

MIT's open course on linear algebra is quite enjoyable, if you want to tackle that first. I'm working through it (extremely slowly) after 10+ years since my last exposure to the subject.

MIT's open course on linear algebra is quite enjoyable, if you want to tackle that first. I'm working through it (extremely slowly) after 10+ years since my last exposure to the subject.

Way back I got the book and watched the video. A remarkable teacher. I have met others who used the linear algebra video. .

There is a good Dover reprint book on linear algebra as well.

Back
Top Bottom