• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Rep. Gosar Faces Censure for AOC Murder Video, Refuses to Apologize. Sister Calls Him a "Sociopath."

I wonder when fist fights will break out on the floor.
These heroes of the Republican party instinctively cry victim every chance they get. I'm not sure they have the spine to perform such an overt act; they certainly couldn't hide behind their, "I was only joking" mantra if they did swing at a fellow member of Congress.

House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy has gotten involved.
Mace and Greene keep feuding, despite McCarthy’s effort to intervene - POLITICO
"The California Republican implored Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) and Nancy Mace (R-S.C.), in separate private meetings, to stop attacking one another after their back-and-forth online spat dragged on for hours earlier Tuesday."
After speaking with the GOP leader, Greene said she told McCarthy that she would quit attacking Mace. But as she was leaving the meeting, Greene suggested to CNN that she was interested in seeing Mace get a Republican primary challenger, something former President Donald Trump has called for.

Mace, after meeting with McCarthy, also didn’t back down after being asked about Greene’s primary challenger comments.

“All I can say about Marjorie Taylor Greene is bless her fucking heart,” Mace told reporters.
MTG responded:
“After my meeting with Kevin McCarthy … I agreed that I’d quit attacking her, and I haven't attacked her,” Greene told POLITICO in an interview Tuesday night, describing it as a good meeting with the top Republican. “I don’t think I said anything different after the meeting.”

“I wasn't announcing anything about President Trump because he already emailed that out,” she added. “I didn't go out making announcements about Nancy Mace. If I was gonna make an announcement about Nancy Mace, she'd see me tweeting it.”
NM:
And Mace didn’t put down her boxing gloves, either. Mace later called Greene a “a No. 1 grifter,” someone who has “nothing going on in her life,” someone who “takes advantage of vulnerable Americans and vulnerable conservatives,“ among other digs, to a group of reporters on the Capitol steps.

Eric Michael Garcia on Twitter: "Omar calls Bowman her “adopted brother” @ilhanmn cites an EMT who died in 9/11. Says how law enforcement suspected him of being a terrorist. It turned out he had died and his remains were found at Ground Zero as he tried to save lives" / Twitter
then
Eric Michael Garcia on Twitter: "“Nearly every Muslim American has experienced this type of suspicion in their lives.” Cites her predecessor @keithellison who was subjected to Islamophobia. “My own experience was similar.”-@IlhanMN" / Twitter
then
Eric Michael Garcia on Twitter: "Side note, as they exited the stage @JamaalBowmanNY wrapped @IlhanMN in the biggest hug after the press conference. He isn't Muslim but he said he felt a need to be at the press conference. He seems like a solid colleague." / Twitter
then
Jamaal Bowman on Twitter: "Anyone who works here can tell you that politics can be cold and lonely, but we get through tough moments like this by rejecting that! It’s all about love and solidarity. Proudly standing beside my sister @IlhanMN as we work to build a more inclusive world." / Twitter

From a press conference:
Rep. Ilhan Omar on Twitter: "“It was never an option for me to take off my hijab to run. Because I know that when we proudly stand up for our values—when we celebrate the diversity of this country, and the freedoms enshrined in our Constitution, others stand with us.”

Rep. Omar’s remarks: (vid link)" / Twitter

On Islamophobic nastiness

Rep. Ilhan Omar on Twitter: "(vid link)" / Twitter
Replaying a very nasty death-threat voicemail

Muslim Lawmakers Condemn Republicans' Inaction After Boebert's Islamophobic Remarks
Reps. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) and André Carson (D-Ind.) came together to condemn Republican lawmakers’ inaction after Rep. Lauren Boebert’s (R-Colo.) repeated Islamophobic remarks against Omar.

“When a sitting member of Congress calls a colleague a member of the ‘jihad squad’ and falsifies a story to suggest I will blow up the Capitol, it is not just an attack on me but on millions of American Muslims across this country,” Omar said Tuesday at a news conference demanding accountability from Republican House leadership.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "People truly don’t understand the scale, intensity, & volume of threats targeting @IlhanMN. ..." / Twitter
People truly don’t understand the scale, intensity, & volume of threats targeting @IlhanMN.

Kevin McCarthy is so desperate to be speaker that he is working with his Ku Klux Klan caucus to look aside & allow violent targeting of woc members of Congress.

This cannot be ignored.

While people toss out clichés like “we condemn all forms of racism & bigotry,” the fact is Islamophobia is far too often tolerated and ignored.

Bigotry is not made unacceptable by what one says about it, it’s made acceptable based on whether there are consequences for it or not.

It’s not just about nasty phone calls and e-mails.

GOP are given freedom to incite without consequence. They don’t have to pay for the security required from their acts- we do. They make money off it.

&They are targeting those least likely to be institutionally protected first.
So it's good that IO replayed that nasty voicemail message.

Since 1832, there have been 20 representatives censured in the US House ( List_of_United_States_representatives_expelled,_censured,_or_reprimanded) of which 7 (including Gosar) have come from after the Great Depression. The Wiki link has the names and the offenses. Compare the offenses with Gosar - they are much more tangible and real.
I'll never understand why conservatives are always posting links without first reading them to make sure they actually concur with their argument.

Did you just call LD a conservative??? Talk about unparliamentary language!

Nicholas Wu on Twitter: "The heads of five Democratic caucuses (Progressive, Black, Asian Pacific American, Equality, and Hispanic) issue a statement in support of Rep. Ilhan Omar and call on Rep. Boebert to be removed from her committees. (pic link)" / Twitter
with a screenshot from
Democratic Caucus Chairs Condemn Boebert’s Actions and McCarthy’s Continued Inaction - Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal
“Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy has absolutely failed in leading his caucus to condemn hatred and bigotry, much less to maintain any basic standards of decency within the halls of Congress. He is unwilling or unable to control his own members from inciting violence against other Members of Congress or encouraging bigotry and hatred. If he cannot lead his own caucus, he certainly will never be able to lead the House of Representatives.

“The most recent example of his failure of leadership has been in his refusal to discipline Representative Lauren Boebert for her repeated incendiary, anti-Muslim rhetoric directed at our colleague Representative Ilhan Omar. When presented with the opportunity to apologize, Representative Boebert instead doubled down, repeating the same bigoted stereotypes and language. As a result, violent death threats have been leveled against Representative Omar and there has been a chilling effect on other Muslim American staff members and people across this country.

“It should not be a partisan issue to condemn the explicit harassment and dangerous abuse of a colleague based on their religion, but this is the level to which the GOP leader and too many members of the Republican party have sunk. In refusing to hold his membership accountable, Representative McCarthy condones this hatred and the danger it incites.

“Today, we are calling for Representative Boebert to be removed from her committee assignments. There must be consequences for vicious workplace harassment and abuse that creates an environment so unsafe for colleagues and staff that it invites death threats against them. There must be consequences for elected representatives who traffic in anti-Muslim and racist tropes that make all Muslims across the country less safe. There must be consequences when Members of Congress demonize an entire religion and promote hate from their positions of public trust.

“We stand with Representative Omar, and millions of Muslims across the country who deserve better and are looking to their elected leadership to condemn islamophobia at the highest levels of government.”
Kicking LB off of her committees is a rather drastic step. I'd prefer a reprimand, and if she doesn't get the message, then kick her off. She's in the Natural Resources and Budget Committees.

Last edited:
Manu Raju on Twitter: "AOC told me she’s disappointed in D leaders for not punishing Boebert "I think this should be pretty simple: that we should have the same standards for everybody. The less consistently we treat these issues, the more it encourages people to try to see what they can get away with”" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "It’s embarrassing ..." / Twitter
It’s embarrassing that there is any hesitation on this. How can we have different consequences for different kinds of bigotry or incitement?

This should be treated equally and consistently. Incite against a member and you’re stripped. End of story. She refuses to even apologize.

It’s a pretty simple question: does the House accept violent Islamophobia or not?

We should feel ashamed every time @IlhanMN or anyone is forced to defend themselves against threats in their workplace alone bc the institutions they serve in won’t protect them. It’s messed up.

This is the same person who live tweeted the Speaker’s location on Jan 6th knowing that violent white supremacists were searching for her.

She has demonstrated a pattern of creating conditions for the people around her to get hurt, without remorse. And she could do so again.

Group of House Democrats Condemn Ilhan Omar for Likening Hamas to U.S.: 'Offensive, Misguided' - when Republicans won't do anything similar to the likes of Paul Gosar and Lauren Boebert and MTG.

Manu Raju on Twitter: "AOC told me she’s disappointed in D leaders for not punishing Boebert "I think this should be pretty simple: that we should have the same standards for everybody. The less consistently we treat these issues, the more it encourages people to try to see what they can get away with”" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "It’s embarrassing ..." / Twitter
It’s embarrassing that there is any hesitation on this. How can we have different consequences for different kinds of bigotry or incitement?

This should be treated equally and consistently. Incite against a member and you’re stripped. End of story. She refuses to even apologize.

It’s a pretty simple question: does the House accept violent Islamophobia or not?

We should feel ashamed every time @IlhanMN or anyone is forced to defend themselves against threats in their workplace alone bc the institutions they serve in won’t protect them. It’s messed up.

This is the same person who live tweeted the Speaker’s location on Jan 6th knowing that violent white supremacists were searching for her.

She has demonstrated a pattern of creating conditions for the people around her to get hurt, without remorse. And she could do so again.

Group of House Democrats Condemn Ilhan Omar for Likening Hamas to U.S.: 'Offensive, Misguided' - when Republicans won't do anything similar to the likes of Paul Gosar and Lauren Boebert and MTG.
Could?
No "could", Will.

Ilhan Omar calls Kevin McCarthy 'liar' and 'coward' for not condemning Lauren Boebert's anti-Muslim remarks
"McCarthy is a liar and a coward. He doesn't have the ability to condemn the kind of bigoted Islamophobia and anti-Muslim rhetoric that are being trafficked by a member of his conference," Omar said on CNN's "State of the Union."

"We have to be able to stand up to them. And we have to push them to reckon with the fact that their party, right now, is normalizing anti-Muslim bigotry," she continued.
noting
State of the Union on Twitter: "Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar calls House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy "a liar and a coward" for not publicly condemning GOP Rep. Lauren Boebert's anti-Muslim comments about Omar. (link) #CNNSOTU (link)" / Twitter
noting
Another video shows Lauren Boebert suggesting Ilhan Omar was terrorist - CNNPolitics
Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert of Colorado suggested to a crowd in September that Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, whom she called "black-hearted" and "evil," was a terrorist.

In those same remarks, she said that she felt safe around Omar because the Democrat wasn't wearing a backpack while they were in an elevator together.

Ilhan Omar just put Nancy Pelosi on the clock over Lauren Boebert - CNNPolitics
The House only has four days left in session this year. And Minnesota Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar said Sunday she expects Speaker Nancy Pelosi to use at least some of that time to sanction Colorado Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert for suggesting that she was a terrorist.

"I have had a conversation with the speaker, and I'm very confident that she will take decisive action next week," Omar told CNN's Jake Tapper on Sunday. She also noted that "it's important for us to say, this kind of language, this kind of hate cannot be condoned by the House of Representatives. And we should punish and sanction Boebert by stripping her of her committees, by rebuking her language, by doing everything that we can to send a clear and decisive message to the American public that, if the Republicans are not going to be adults and condone -- condemn this, that we are going to do that."
Let's see what happens. If all goes well, LB will join MTG and PG in being kicked off of their committees.

One might expect the Republican House leadership to be want to rid of Republicans who embarrass them, but instead they want the votes and the campaign contributions of the lunatic fringe of their party. They are unwilling to purge the likes of MTG and LB and PG like how William F. Buckley drove the John Birch Society out of respectable conservative society.

William F. Buckley and the Birchers: A myth, a history lesson and a moral | Salon.com
The story goes like this: in 1962, the leading conservative intellectual William F. Buckley Jr. used his magazine National Review to condemn the far-right John Birch Society. The denunciation isolated the Birchers and their wild conspiracy theories within America's conservative movement and led to their downfall.

The story is a myth, reliant on half-truths and omissions to make it convincing. Yet in articles and books, Buckley repeated it again and again. As the Republican Party grapples with QAnon believers and Trump loyalists, the myth that Buckley saved conservatism from extremists has been repeatedly cited as fact to explain how the party of Lincoln can save itself.

The truth is far more interesting. It shows that extremism in America's conservative movement has ebbed and flowed since the 1950s, yet never disappeared. Buckley claimed to have vanquished the Birchers, acting as the gatekeeper of American conservatism. Yet when Barry Goldwater became the first conservative presidential nominee of a major political party in 1964, it was the Birchers, not Buckley, who played the key role. The Birchers had a profound impact on American conservatism, a fact Buckley wished to expunge. He wanted to make conservatism respectable. To acknowledge the influence of the Birchers would be an admission of failure.
WFB was the founder of National Review, a highbrow right-wing magazine.
The John Birch Society, on the other hand, preached a unique brand of paranoid reactionary conservatism. The brainchild of retired candy manufacturer Robert Welch Jr., the society was founded in 1958 to root out communist subversives in government and American society. Although membership was secret, it is estimated that within a few years Welch had 20,000 to 100,000 followers. (The actual John Birch, by the way, had nothing to do with it: He was a U.S. military intelligence officer killed by communist insurgents in China in 1945, and later embraced as a martyr by the American far right.)

Inherent in the society's mission to challenge subversion was Welch's conspiracy theory-laced worldview. In 1958, Welch mailed Buckley a 300-page summary of his theories entitled "The Politician." The manuscript contained the lurid claim that the sitting president, Dwight Eisenhower, was a communist and that past presidents, the CIA and civil rights activists were all secretly controlled by a global communist conspiracy.
The JBS was evidently the QAnon of its day. BTW, the JBS still exists: John Birch Society But that site's pages have no mention of QAnon or the likes of Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene.

WFB didn't denounce the JBS at first, it must be noted, and he was friends with RW.
Buckley wrote two editorials, in April 1961 and February 1962, criticizing Welch. The first gently critiqued Welch's practice of citing communist subversion when there was none and concluded by saying "I hope the Society thrives" despite its bungling leader. The February 1962 editorial, entitled "The Question of Robert Welch," was more biting. Buckley wrote that Welch's conspiracy theories made him a man "far removed from common sense." In an effort to not offend the Birchers as a whole, however, Buckley inaccurately portrayed Welch as an aberration from the society he led.
Though that was the extent of WFB's purge of the JBS, he later pictured those editorials as crushing blows. The JBS supported Barry Goldwater rather heavily in 1964, and BG's defeat seemed like a defeat for the JBS also.
The clash between Buckley's pretensions and reality was laid bare in his 1968 debate with the segregationist governor George Wallace, who was running as a third-party presidential candidate. Buckley tried to act as gatekeeper, saying Wallace was not supported by any prominent conservatives. Wallace was dismissive, saying, "Let'em be against me. What difference does it make?" Buckley failed again to curtail conservative extremists. Wallace, heavily supported by the Birchers, received nearly 10 million votes and carried five states in the Deep South. (No third-party candidate since then has even won one.)
The JBS faded in the 1970's, but far-right kookery remained a part of the Republican Party, with QAnon as a recent manifestation of it.
Until Donald Trump, Republican leaders from George H.W. Bush to Mitch McConnell believed they could control the reactionaries. They failed in 2016 and they continue to fail today. Extremists have outlasted and undone all efforts to break their grip in the Republican Party.
The Republican Party continues to be propped up by gerrymandering and geographical advantages, so it is not getting the crushing defeats that it deserves.

“All I can say about Marjorie Taylor Greene is bless her fucking heart,” Mace told reporters.

Foreigners, and perhaps even some Yankees, may be unfamiliar with the phrase "Bless your heart" as used in the dialect of the Old South, from which both Greene and Mace come.

The Amy Adams character defines that phrase in Episode 2 of the excellent mini-series Sharp Objects.

Would "take your blessings and shove em." Be appropriately offensive to such patronizing bullshit?

Ocasio-Cortez: 'Embarrassment' that Democratic leaders are delaying Boebert punishment | TheHill

They acted swiftly against Paul Gosar, but they are slow to act against Lauren Boebert.
“I haven’t heard anything binding from leadership, which in and of itself is an embarrassment,” Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) told The Hill on Tuesday night. “This shouldn’t take this long; this should not drag on. It’s pretty simple. It doesn’t have to be a big huge thing. It’s pretty open and closed."

Ocasio-Cortez rejected the idea, floated by some Democrats, of a broader resolution condemning Islamophobia, one that does not specifically target Boebert.

“She needs to be held accountable for her actions,” said Ocasio-Cortez, who, along with other members of the squad, wants Boebert booted off her House committees.
Rep. Jamaal Bowman:
“If nothing happens, it means we’re accepting anti-Muslim hate in Congress and we’re accepting and condoning anti-Muslim hate across the country,” Bowman told The Hill. “So if nothing happens, that’s the message we are sending, which is why we have to continue to push to have her removed from committee."
Would it get House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy off the hook?
“This is not about him. This is about leadership and about our moral center in the country,” said Bowman, a former middle school principal.

“We have the majority in the House. We are elected to lead, and we must do so,” he added.

House Democratic Caucus Members on Removing Representative Boerbert From Committees | C-SPAN.org - Ayanna Pressley, Jamaal Bowman, Cori Bush, Pramila Jayapal, Barbara Lee, Jimmy Gomez, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib, Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

They said that it was important not to normalize bigotry, not to let bigots get away with their bigotry. They also expressed disappointment at the House Republican leadership for failing to do anything about LB. I think that it was Jimmy Gomez who noted the rules of decorum that the House has, like not addressing other members directly and not doing name-calling.

Pressley, House Progressives Call for Rep. Lauren Boebert to Be Removed From Committee Assignments | Representative Ayanna Pressley - Dec 2
Today, Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley (MA-07) joined Representatives Jamaal Bowman (NY-16), Cori Bush (MO-01), André Carson (IN-07), Pramila Jayapal (WA-07) and 34 House progressives to issue the following statement calling for Representative Lauren Boebert (CO-03) to be removed from her committee assignments following her Islamophobic comments and incitement of anti-Muslim animus.
Rep. Pressley Leads Resolution to Remove Rep. Boebert From Committee Assignments | Representative Ayanna Pressley - Dec 8
Today, Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley (MA-07), along with Representatives Jamaal Bowman (NY-16), Cori Bush (MO-01), Judy Chu (CA-27), Jesús “Chuy” García (IL-04), Jimmy Gomez (CA-34), Pramila Jayapal (WA-07), Barbara Lee (CA-13), Rashida Tlaib (MI-13), Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (NY-14), and Debbie Wasserman Schultz (FL-23), led their House colleagues in announcing a resolution to remove Representative Lauren Boebert (CO-03) from her committee assignments. Rep. Pressley and colleagues will hold a press conference on Capitol Hill today at 2:00pm ET to discuss the resolution and the need to hold Boebert accountable.
Pressley, Colleagues Hold Presser on Resolution to Remove Boebert From Committee Assignments | Representative Ayanna Pressley - Dec 8
Today, Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley (MA-07), along with Representatives Jamaal Bowman (NY-16), Cori Bush (MO-01), Pramila Jayapal (WA-07), Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (NY-14), Barbara Lee (CA-13), Jimmy Gomez (CA-34), Rashida Tlaib (MI-13) and Debbie Wasserman Schultz (FL-23) held a press conference on Capitol Hill to discuss their resolution to remove Representative Lauren Boebert (CO-03) from her committee assignments and the need to hold Boebert accountable.
House Democrats Announce Resolution Against Rep. Boebert I LIVE - YouTube

The resolution itself: H.Res.845 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Removing a certain Member from certain standing committees of the House of Representatives. | Congress.gov | Library of Congress - with 30 cosponsors, all original so far
Removing a certain Member from certain standing committees of the House of Representatives.

Whereas clause 1 of rule XXIII of the Rules of the House of Representatives provides, “A Member, Delegate, Resident Commissioner, officer, or employee of the House shall behave at all times in a manner that shall reflect creditably on the House.”; and

Whereas Representative Lauren Boebert should be removed from her committee assignments in light of conduct she has exhibited: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That the following named Member be, and is hereby, removed from the following standing committees of the House of Representatives:

Committee on the Budget:

Mrs. Boebert of Colorado.

Committee on Natural Resources:

Mrs. Boebert of Colorado.

Back
Top Bottom