• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Report: Lev Parnas Handed Over Tapes of Trump and Giuliani to the House Intelligence Committee

I presume these are cellphone conversations (with Giuliani and Nunes).
But if he managed to wear wires during his meetings with Trump that would interesting and highly illegal, right?

In most localities, no. And why do you assume he 'wore a wire'?
Videos with meaningless chat are not that interesting. And I don't know the laws concerning private people wearing wires and other secret stuff that well.I know in Russia it's highly illegal, people were fined for ordering GPS trackers and voice recorders on the internet.

Here the law depends on the location. Approximately 3/4 of states are one-party states--it's legal to record a conversation if any party to the conversation is aware of it. Most of the remainder are all-party (often also called two-party) where it's only legal to record if everyone in the conversation is aware of it. Also, even in an all-party state it's generally legal when the conversation is in a situation where there's no expectation of privacy anyway. (Say, when there are bystanders close enough to hear.) There are also oddballs like here in Nevada--we are one-party in most respects but two-party when it comes to electronic communications. Oregon is the reverse--one party on the phone, two party in person. I believe Washington D.C. is one-party.

GPS trackers are a different issue--no law against them here but putting one on someone's car or the like would be illegal. The devices themselves are not illegal because they have perfectly legitimate uses--for example, I've seen dogs out on the hiking trails that are wearing GPS locator collars. Likewise, a parent putting a tracker on their kid would be legal.

Back
Top Bottom