• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Republican vote suppression

(I sure thought we had a thread but I'm not seeing it)

And that's why you block early voting--with no time pressure you can't conveniently run out of ballots.

Hinds Country (in case you couldn't guess) is 73.5% black -- that's double the Mississippi average.

Later news:
JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - A Hinds County circuit judge has denied a request from a voting rights group to keep polls in Hinds County open until 9 p.m.

Meanwhile, the Mississippi Republican Party is asking the Mississippi Supreme Court to overturn a chancery court ruling allowing polls in the state’s largest county to remain open until 8.

The filings come after a tumultuous day of voting in Hinds County, which left thousands of people waiting in line for hours to vote after multiple precincts ran out of ballots.

Even if the judge had allowed people to vote at 9 pm, it would have been UNACCEPTABLE to require voters to wait several HOURS to cast a ballot.

How is it possible that such a sham of an election -- obviously and blatantly unfair -- as egregious as anything we read about "elections" in banana republics -- is not nullified by a judge? Obviously the racist incumbents in Mississippi are satisfied with it, but once upon a time, the Feds would have sent in troops if necessary to uphold democracy.

Free elections? No, American democracy is dead. That death is so ho-hum now that stories like this one appear on page 7, if at all, not in the headlines.

I'm old enough now that I may not get to watch the Death of American Democracy play out. Perhaps I should be grateful for that.

Last edited:
Former Senator Rick Santorum, on Fox, commenting on Ohio's abortion and marijuana issues, said that "pure democracies" are a bad way to run a country. Expect to hear a lot more of this as the demographic counter-push gets harder for Repubs. Of course they'll have the Supreme Court, which of course gutted the Voting Rights Act, to deny that any judicial remedy is needed. 2024 is going to be one hell of a dumpster fire. Let's at least get Trump designated as a convicted criminal in the next 11 months.

I'd like to see a breakdown of the districts by registered voters by party, number of ballots they received, and demographic data. I suspect there is going to be a surprising (not) correlation.

Nevada AG to investigate fake electors.

The attorney general of Nevada is quietly investigating Republican activists and operatives who falsely pledged the state’s six electoral votes to Donald Trump in 2020, despite Joe Biden’s victory in the state.

In recent weeks, investigators have questioned witnesses about the attempts of the so-called alternate electors to present themselves as viable representatives of the states’ voters, according to three people familiar with the probe. Investigators have also asked about documents those people prepared as part of the effort.

Back
Top Bottom