• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Republicans actually trying to do something good in New Hamshire.

Blahface

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
So, there are a couple of bills put forward by some Republicans in NH to implement approval voting statewide. Whatever your politics, this is a good thing and it should be supported. Any voting system is better than plurality and approval voting is a very good voting system overall. I really hope that people don't dismiss it because it was put forward by Republicans.

One part of the article that annoyed me:
New Hampshire Deputy Secretary of State David Scanlan, who oversees elections, expressed concern at the hearing Tuesday that allowing a different number of votes would allow those who voted for more candidates to effectively “dilute” the vote of people who vote for fewer candidates.

He apparently doesn't care about the fact that when similar candidates run for the same office, the votes of people who support their views are diluted. Approval voting would compensate for that.

The part that surprises me is that it seems to be the free stater Republicans that are sponsoring it. Approval voting leans towards moderate candidates and this would harm their long term goals.

Back
Top Bottom