• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Republicans, Not Biden, Are About to Raise Your Taxes

ZiprHead

Substitute Looney
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
President Trump built in tax increases beginning in 2021, for nearly everyone but those at the very top.

President Trump and his congressional allies hoodwinked us. The law they passed initially lowered taxes for most Americans, but it built in automatic, stepped tax increases every two years that begin in 2021 and that by 2027 would affect nearly everyone but people at the top of the economic hierarchy. All taxpayer income groups with incomes of $75,000 and under — that’s about 65 percent of taxpayers — will face a higher tax rate in 2027 than in 2019.

For most, in fact, it’s a delayed tax increase dressed up as a tax cut. How many times have you heard Trump and his allies mention that? They surmised — correctly, so far — that if they waited to add the tax increases until after the 2020 election, few of the people most affected were likely to remember who was responsible.

Passing a bill with an expiration date has become an unfortunately popular tactic. It enables the elected to say "re-elect us or our opponents won't renew the bill."

On the plus side, it is what got rid of the horrid "Assault Weapon" ban.

Passing a bill with an expiration date has become an unfortunately popular tactic. It enables the elected to say "re-elect us or our opponents won't renew the bill."

Expiration dates as an experiment are a good idea: Lets try <X> for some years and see if it's a good idea.

Expiration dates like in the tax bill are pure deception, I wish they could be outlawed.

Eh, people's perception of the president<--->Economy relationship was never based on facts, anyway. I know plenty of people who believe a hundred untrue things when it comes to the history of the White House and the economy, and a thousand impossible things with respect to the future.

Expiration dates like in the tax bill are pure deception, I wish they could be outlawed.

The one in question was required by Senate rules to allow passage of the bill without the possibility of a filibuster.

wiki tcja

Expiration dates as an experiment are a good idea: Lets try <X> for some years and see if it's a good idea.

The expiration date is put in there to reduce the perceived long term loss of the cut.

The average Joe doesn't make the connection between revenue and spending, and therefore taxation. If you spend more than you collect you've created a tax obligation, a tax, like it or not.

The expiration date is put in there to reduce the perceived long term loss of the cut.

Which is not a rebuttal to my point at all.

Back
Top Bottom