• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Richard Roundtree died

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
I know I'm probably the only one who loves the Shaft movies with Richard Roundtree, but I was sad to see that he died earlier this week, partly because of my enjoyment of those movies. In fact, I have copies of the three that Richard Roundtree stared in. I've never understood the later claims of Blackspoiltation because the original Shaft movie was the first movie about a Black Detective hero, and it was very popular among Black audiences in 1971 when it was released. The last one he did was in 2019, but he was the grandfather of a much younger Shaft in that one. They all have a lot of humor in them, along with great music if you're a fan of soul or jazz.

The soundtrack is great is you love soul and so are the characters. I guess some of it was due to the writers and director being white, but I think the one made in 2019 was written and directed by Black people. Regardless, I've watched all three Shaft movies with Roundtree more times that I care of admit and I usually hate violent action movies, but the Shaft movies' violence isn't as graphic as most other action movies. And, what's not to like about a sexy Black guy in the role of a smart, streetwise detective, who always wins the day? Anyway, I know that Roundtree stared in other movies as well as having a role in the series "Roots", so I was sad to see his life ended several days ago.

And, while Issac Hayes might have been a bit nuts, after become a Scientologist, I love his soul music, including the way he did the theme song to Shaft. Lyrics below, just for fun....
Who's the black private dick
That's a sex machine to all the chicks?
Shaft, ya, damn right

Who is the man that would risk his neck
For his brother man?
Shaft, can you dig it?

Who's the cat that won't cop out
When there's danger all about?
Shaft, right on

They say this cat Shaft is a bad mother
Shut your mouth
But I'm talkin' 'bout Shaft
Then we can dig it

He's a complicated man
But no one understands him but his woman
John Shaft

The director of the original “Shaft” was Gordon Parks, a multi-talented and very famous black man.

Back
Top Bottom