• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Right to privacy while voting

fast

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Christian
I used to believe that we should have a right to privacy when voting in the political process, and I used to hold that view strongly. When it comes to actual voting in the election, I still hold that view, but when it comes to voting in the primaries, I still hold that view but not as strongly.

So, what I believe is the same while the degree to which I hold the view is different. To recap, I believe we should have the right to privacy when voting in the primaries, and I strongly believe we should have the right to privacy when voting in the election.

Why such an odd view? It all started when I recognized that privacy was compromised when Republican primaries were not held when Democratic primaries were held. People knew I wasn't voting Democrat when going to vote at the Republican primary. They didn't know who I was voting for, but they knew who I wasn't voting for.

That infuriated me since my privacy was compromised. So, what has changed? It's the recognition that a primary is substantively different from the general election. I can privately have my choice heard in the election without giving up anonymity, but joining a private group known to the public is in essence minimizing my anonymity by my own choosing.

Thoughts?

I used to believe that we should have a right to privacy when voting in the political process, and I used to hold that view strongly. When it comes to actual voting in the election, I still hold that view, but when it comes to voting in the primaries, I still hold that view but not as strongly.

So, what I believe is the same while the degree to which I hold the view is different. To recap, I believe we should have the right to privacy when voting in the primaries, and I strongly believe we should have the right to privacy when voting in the election.

Why such an odd view? It all started when I recognized that privacy was compromised when Republican primaries were not held when Democratic primaries were held. People knew I wasn't voting Democrat when going to vote at the Republican primary. They didn't know who I was voting for, but they knew who I wasn't voting for.

That infuriated me since my privacy was compromised. So, what has changed? It's the recognition that a primary is substantively different from the general election. I can privately have my choice heard in the election without giving up anonymity, but joining a private group known to the public is in essence minimizing my anonymity by my own choosing.

Thoughts?

The primaries is voting for presidential candidates? Then they say nothing about how you will vote in the real election.

Thoughts?

The primaries is voting for presidential candidates? Then they say nothing about how you will vote in the real election.

Yes, when I went to the republican primary, I voted for one of the republican candidates. Those going to the democratic primary voted for a democratic candidate.

I think it does say something, even if I can change my mind across party lines at the general election. There is no guarantee that the voter that walked into a democratic primary will vote for the democratic nominee in the general election, as people do sometimes vote outside their party affiliation, but I'd imagine that statistically, more people than not will remain with their affiliated party.

No one wants to inadvertently flatten the tires of those voting on their side, but if you're loudly and proudly voting democrat at the primary, it's not a stretch to wonder why your tires need air come election time. The dramatic point is that it says something, not nothing.

They didn't know who I was voting for, but they knew who I wasn't voting for.
Don't the candidates already know who's registered for what in their district? I think those lists are made available so the campaigns can better target their calls, right?

So even before you show up, you've already been tagged and pigeonholed.

Don't the candidates already know who's registered for what in their district? I think those lists are made available so the campaigns can better target their calls, right?

Oh smack, yes!

That just woke me up.

Not in all states. In some states, only registered members of a party can vote that party's primaries. In my state, I am asked which party's ballot I want when I show up at the polls for the primary. Otherwise there is no official party registration so I can vote in any party's primary. The candidates have access to the voter list but there is no indication of party affiliation on the voter list.

I guess it is sorta like the state is a "right to work" state. Unions are certainly allowed but the union can not require membership in the union to work for the company. Apparently our legislature doesn't like requiring membership in groups to enjoy the benefits of citizenship either for voting or working.

Last edited:

So how is that? From the previous election?

You americans are so fucked...

So how is that? From the previous election?

You americans are so fucked...
In my district, I walk in and show an identification. We used to have to show a registration card. They compare my ID to information in their computer to see if I'm at the correct voting location by comparing two things to my ID: my name and my address. It's in the part of the system showing that I'm registered as a Republican. That's not to say I have to vote Republican. If I chose, I could have waited until the next weekend and voted in the democratic primary so long as I was at the correct voting location. However, I cannot vote in both primaries, so since I did in fact vote in the earlier republican primary, I would have been turned away had I also showed up for the democratic primary.

ETA: which now that I think about it, that's not how I think it should be.

There's been television news about this since the 2000 Presidential election and I didn't like it at all. Eventually I realized that the American election process was designed to sidestep this with the electoral college.

Privacy is a huge subject matter with voting. Naturally, those in power want to take that privacy, no matter what it is. Society can't survive without privacy and no matter how much voter counts are tweaked you can't take voter privacy away without some consequence. No matter what excuse you use whether it was count accuracy or whatever, voters need their security when deciding to whom they will hand their vote.

Back
Top Bottom