• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Robin Williams dead at 63

I'm having a hard time reading comment like "he took the cowards way out". It's so frustrating how un-informed people can be and make such harsh judgements. I wish wish depression didn't have such a 'stigma'. Maybe my Mom would have gotten help. :(

I think people with depression (or previous depression, rather, since people with current episodes are not likely to be so open) are more and more talking publicly about it, which will help everyone so much. And Robin Williams' death may help many others by opening the eyes of their friends, relatives and co-workers as the conversation includes so many people who are now speaking out.

At least I hope that kind of good can come from this. And it would be fitting for Robin Williams to once again be bringing happiness (and treatment and support) to others.

I don't think Robin Williams was bipolar, and he said he was never been diagnosed as such. He definitely and admittedly suffered from life-long depression.

So, this article written by a psychologists claims he was never formally diagnosed with either bi-polar or clinical depression, and claims that if he had either it was more likely bi-polar (which is about 4:1 depression to manic phases). Then again, the author is a Psy.D and not a Ph.D., which means they are a therapist with minimal training in the scientific basis of psychology.

Either way, it is likely that his emotional problems were a central part of who he was, which includes his comic outlook.

It is sad for his loved ones and sad that he didn't get the help to avoid suicide. OTOH, the thing that ultimate killed him is also what likely contributed massively to his originality, creativity, and the things that his fans loved about him. He was psychologically abnormal, and even at its best that is a double edged sword. Had he been "properly" medicated his whole life, he'd be more likely to still be alive but would not have lived the same life he did and not likely made such an positive impression on the world. You don't have to be psychologically dysfunctional to be a good comic, but it helps.

0f8dd6e0-221c-11e4-a7ce-39398bdeaaaa_ZeldaWilliams-Instagram.jpg

The authorities THINK it's suicide, but unless he left a note, it also looks like auto-erotic asphyxia.

He and his wife slept in separate bedrooms.

I don't think Robin Williams was bipolar, and he said he was never been diagnosed as such. He definitely and admittedly suffered from life-long depression.

So, this article written by a psychologists claims he was never formally diagnosed with either bi-polar or clinical depression, and claims that if he had either it was more likely bi-polar (which is about 4:1 depression to manic phases). Then again, the author is a Psy.D and not a Ph.D., which means they are a therapist with minimal training in the scientific basis of psychology.

Either way, it is likely that his emotional problems were a central part of who he was, which includes his comic outlook.

It is sad for his loved ones and sad that he didn't get the help to avoid suicide. OTOH, the thing that ultimate killed him is also what likely contributed massively to his originality, creativity, and the things that his fans loved about him. He was psychologically abnormal, and even at its best that is a double edged sword. Had he been "properly" medicated his whole life, he'd be more likely to still be alive but would not have lived the same life he did and not likely made such an positive impression on the world. You don't have to be psychologically dysfunctional to be a good comic, but it helps.

Not necessarily.

An ex-BF was clinical depressed. He wouldn't take medication because he was an amateur poet and musician and was in a band and he thought pills would 'medicate' him into a daze and he'd lose his edge. But he was so miserable, I finally convinced him to see a psych who got him on meds. It was like night and day. He was so thrilled with his improvement. I asked if he still was afraid his talent would be affected. He said, "No."

The authorities THINK it's suicide, but unless he left a note, it also looks like auto-erotic asphyxia.

He and his wife slept in separate bedrooms.

from cnn.com:

Boyd would not confirm or deny whether Williams left behind a letter, saying that investigators would discuss "the note or a note" later.
The coroner's investigation "revealed he had been seeking treatment for depression," Boyd told reporters.
"He has been battling severe depression of late," Williams' media representative, Mara Buxbaum, told CNN on Monday. "This is a tragic and sudden loss."
The autopsy completed Tuesday morning showed "no indication of a struggle or physical altercation," which was consistent with the death being a suicide, Boyd said.
The personal assistant found Williams "clothed in a seated position, unresponsive, and with a belt secured around his neck with the other end of the belt wedged between the closed closet door and door frame," he said.
Williams' left wrist had cuts, Boyd said. A pocket knife was found near his body, and a red material consistent with dried blood was found on the knife, Boyd said. He said tests will be conducted to determine whether the substance is blood.

Koko Remembers Robin Williams

http://www.koko.org/koko-tribute-robin-williams
2014-08-11_robin_tribute.jpg

In 2001, Robin Williams was invited to meet Koko, the gorilla who communicates in sign language, at The Gorilla Foundation in northern California (see photo above). We had no idea what to expect, but everyone was in for a treat, and they became very special friends.
On Monday, Aug. 122, the day news broke of Williams' passing, Koko and Penny and Ron (Drs. Patterson and Cohn) were together when phone calls started coming in about the sad event. After the first all, Koko came to Dr. Patterson with an inquiring look on her face. Dr. Patterson explained that "we have lost a dear friend, Robin Williams." Koko was quiet and looked very thoughtful
More phone calls about the news came in, and Koko overheard one from a former colleague who had worked with Williams while he filmed a public service announcement for The Gorilla Foundation (based on his visit with Koko) in 2003. The colleague's voice broke at the end of the conversation. About a half an hour later, Koko signed to Penny: "CRY LIP" (LIP is Koko's sign for woman).

Robin Williams, in his 60s, no longer young, had
1. a recently diagnosed, serious, degenerative, incurable illness (Parkinson's)
2. financial problems
3. A career that was tanking/ had tanked in terms of money-making ability, popularity, and quality of work done.
Enough to make all but the clinically deluded somewhat depressed.

So enough about bi-polar this and clinical depression that--maybe Robin Williams had those psychological conditions, but if the above three items had been fine with him, he'ld still be alive.
What I wonder about is where did all his talent as an actor go? It had not been particualrly evident for all for this century.

Back
Top Bottom