• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Rush Limbaugh: The Limits of Speech

Ever since being a teenager who was first starting to become interested more in social, religious, atheist, ethical, philosophical, and political issues, I have always been fascinated by Rush Limbaugh in particular. The guy is extremely articulate, extremely passionate, has an opinion on virtually every issue, is extremely popular, is extremely arrogant (the word "arrogant" really understates the case with him), and not only is absolutely certain beyond compare that he is on the right side of every issue, but hugely demeans and attaches evil, lying, and nefarious motives to anyone who disagrees with him on different issues, and is practically worshiped and glorified by a huge audience of people, many who otherwise would promote principles like civility, charity, kindness, etc. that he acts against himself constantly, and all beyond compare to any other political or media figure.

All the while, it is actually him who is wrong, on so many issues. I had firsthand experience and knowledge that the demeaning he did of people, in particular those who were atheist or skeptics or humanists and our motivations and intentions and goals of our behaviors, was actually wrong. He was actually wrong himself, but still the whole time had built up this massive worldview where he was absolutely certain that he was right, and still exhibited all those other traits like being insulting and demeaning towards anyone who disagreed with him. The guy was just so fascinating, and I found it so interesting how a person can be so cocky and self-glorifying about how right they are and if you disagree with him, then you are not just wrong, but also stupid and dishonest...and all the time, it is actually you who is wrong on so many issues. So it just got me interested more in human psychology and such, and learning why the human mind functions this way. That applies soooooo much to soooooo much of religious beliefs as well, like fundamentalism, and their preachers and evangelists. Preachers and evangelists also take it without question that their god exists and such and are absolutely certain certain they know that for undoubtful fact and that they are the ones who are rational while nontheists are just denying the obvious for all sorts of pscyhological defects, and all the while it is them who is wrong and it is them who has formed a nonsensical worldview around their bad belief systems. Ironically, Rush Limbaugh made me more liberal as well, just from listening to him. So, thank Vishnu for Rush Limbaugh.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom