• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

RUSSIAN SPIES USED FACEBOOK TO TRICK MACRON ALLIES: REPORT

Don2 (Don1 Revised)

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
non-practicing agnostic
The Kremlin has long denied French President Emmanuel Macron's allegations of Russian subterfuge during his election campaign, but three different sources, including a U.S. congressman, have now told Reuters that an attempted surveillance operation on Macron did take place on social media.

According to the report, around two dozen Facebook accounts were created in the run-up to the election in attempts to infiltrate Macron's social circles, likely with malicious intent. Facebook said in April it had moved to shut down trolls disseminating misinformation about the French election, in which Macron defeated pro-Russia candidate Marine Le Pen, but the use of bogus accounts has not previously been reported.

During the alleged operation, Russian agents posed as people with common acquaintances of Macron’s associates and sought personal information about the candidate’s social life. According to Reuters' sources, Facebook briefed congressional committee members and staff about this after analyzing activity during the campaign.

Facebook told U.S. officials that the operation was most likely intended to convince Macron associates to download malicious software or hand over their login information, but that it did not succeed with either goal.
http://www.newsweek.com/russian-spies-used-facebook-trick-macron-allies-report-642648

Wow. The extent of Russian trolling through social media is unbelievable.

The Kremlin has long denied French President Emmanuel Macron's allegations of Russian subterfuge during his election campaign, but three different sources, including a U.S. congressman, have now told Reuters that an attempted surveillance operation on Macron did take place on social media.

According to the report, around two dozen Facebook accounts were created in the run-up to the election in attempts to infiltrate Macron's social circles, likely with malicious intent. Facebook said in April it had moved to shut down trolls disseminating misinformation about the French election, in which Macron defeated pro-Russia candidate Marine Le Pen, but the use of bogus accounts has not previously been reported.

During the alleged operation, Russian agents posed as people with common acquaintances of Macron’s associates and sought personal information about the candidate’s social life. According to Reuters' sources, Facebook briefed congressional committee members and staff about this after analyzing activity during the campaign.

Facebook told U.S. officials that the operation was most likely intended to convince Macron associates to download malicious software or hand over their login information, but that it did not succeed with either goal.
http://www.newsweek.com/russian-spies-used-facebook-trick-macron-allies-report-642648

Not understanding your surprise. Russia is a gangster state with no counterbalance. When an opposition arises they get killed.

Not understanding your surprise. Russia is a gangster state with no counterbalance. When an opposition arises they get killed.

I totally get that, but the surprising thing to me is massive trolling efforts across the board. It's not just versus the US, but then also, that it's trolling--the new form of the KGB.

On the one hand, it's a little bit sad.

The KGB was this dangerous, scary organization which was made famous by being an elite group of spies and assassins and is now spending most of its time running internet trolls. I get that major portions of the Russian economy are going towards building new beach houses for Putin and his cronies so funding is limited and they can't be expected to match up to what they were in the past, but I can't help but be disappointed that the next James Bond movie will involve him fighting a bunch of fat guys who are sitting in the Kremlin's basement.

I would like to point out that their proof that it was KGB is - tools used match with previous instance attributed to KGB.
And yes, I agree that's pretty pathetic for KGB - couple of dozen of fake facebook accounts and still failed miserably.

I would like to point out that their proof that it was KGB is - tools used match with previous instance attributed to KGB.
And yes, I agree that's pretty pathetic for KGB - couple of dozen of fake facebook accounts and still failed miserably.

Well, talk to Putin and tell him to stop stealing from them and start funding them and maybe you'll get better results.

Also, when I say "Talk to Putin", I do of course mean "Don't talk to Putin because you'll get shot as a dissident if you bring this subject up".

Well, talk to Putin and tell him to stop stealing from them and start funding them and maybe you'll get better results.

Also, when I say "Talk to Putin", I do of course mean "Don't talk to Putin because you'll get shot as a dissident if you bring this subject up".

KGB/FSB are paid very well. Based on this pathetic attempts too well.

According to the report, around two dozen Facebook accounts were created in the run-up to the election in attempts to infiltrate Macron's social circles, likely with malicious intent.

What more proof do we need????????

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpMjakNhZTc[/YOUTUBE]

Back
Top Bottom