• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Satanism

I have long wondered if I should call myself a Satanist.

On the one hand, I don't like Lavey Satanism, or any other type I have come across thus far.

On the other hand, I see Satan as a great symbol of striving against the Christian framework (and most religious frameworks). I see something like the ten commandments from the bible, and I notice that it is mostly about obedience to power, and not about being a good person. I read the rest of the Abrahamic holy books, and again, more obedience, more authoritarianism, very little empathy or compassion. Very little doing what is right because it is right, instead of doing it for a reward. And the concept of faith as a virtue... that's messed up. Then there is that vicarious redemption thing...

I like to think that if God as the bible depicts him did exist, he would be a tyrant and a monster, and the only moral thing to do would be to oppose him, even though you know you'll fail, since he is all powerful. That makes Satan look like a hero and somebody to emulate, if he did attempt a rebellion against God.

Anyway, I am just babbling incoherently at this point so I'll stop.

But, Satanism... would you call yourself a Satanist? Sure to raise a few eyebrows amongst your friends and family at least :)

If you're going to believe in supernatural nonsense, can't you at least make up your own supernatural nonsense? Why base your unsupported truth claims on someone else's unsupported truth claims?

Back
Top Bottom