• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

science question about the internet and old rotary phones

BH

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Muslim
I have a question.

Several years ago when we put in the internet I had to take out my old bakelite rotary phones and replace them with the more modern touchtone phones. We later got the cell phones but that is besides the point.

The internet people told us the internet would not be able to connect and work because of the old style phones. Why was that?

Odd. When I first got internet service back in the 1990s I had rotary phones and didn't switch to touch tone until after 2000 when I moved. So I don't think it is a problem with the internet but maybe just a problem with your particular internet service provider or maybe just with the person you were talking to.

I have a question.

Several years ago when we put in the internet I had to take out my old bakelite rotary phones and replace them with the more modern touchtone phones. We later got the cell phones but that is besides the point.

The internet people told us the internet would not be able to connect and work because of the old style phones. Why was that?
I know that DSL works fine with pulse-phones, lines. But that's a keypad version of pulse-phone. I have an old rotary phone but don't want to test it. I think it would work just fine.

I think the issue was  Pulse dialing vs  Tone dialing.
Well, I have pulse-dialing and DSL, works fine for me.

I know that DSL works fine with pulse-phones, lines. But that's a keypad version of pulse-phone. I have an old rotary phone but don't want to test it. I think it would work just fine.

I suspect that all depends on whether his particular ISP put the effort into having their systems handle both, or just tone dialing.

I suspect that all depends on whether his particular ISP put the effort into having their systems handle both, or just tone dialing.
That's possible, but I suspect all modern equipment is capable of handling both dialing systems.

I think phone company did not want a hassle associated with keeping small number of people on pulse dialing. It's cheaper to keep everything uniform.

Wait, what? There are still pulse dialling exchanges in America?

Yet more evidence, if it were needed, that the USA is not yet a part of the family of developed nations.

I could fax you the other evidence, but I am not sure what the international dialling code is for 1985.
Few years back there was a story/scandal about old lady with rented (from a phone company) rotary phone, apparently she paid $40K over the years.

Wait, what? There are still pulse dialling exchanges in America?

Yet more evidence, if it were needed, that the USA is not yet a part of the family of developed nations.

I could fax you the other evidence, but I am not sure what the international dialling code is for 1985.
Few years back there was a story/scandal about old lady with rented (from a phone company) rotary phone, apparently she paid $40K over the years.

Hey if the phone company is willing to support two protocols and the intermediate one as well, why not.

DSL isn't the issue. I'm 99.98% sure BH has a VOIP telephone system.

With DSL the analog and digital parts are segregated, and the analog portion is essentially POTS.

With VOIP there is no analog signal being transmitted on the trunk, and the analog telephone adapters that are used to support older style phones are usually not built to support pulse dialing.

With DSL the analog and digital parts are segregated, and the analog portion is essentially POTS.

With VOIP there is no analog signal being transmitted on the trunk, and the analog telephone adapters that are used to support older style phones are usually not built to support pulse dialing.
I am not sure what are you trying to answer here, but BH had a rotary phone.

I was answering the part about why his rotary phone wouldn't be compatible with his provider's telephony system, which is similar to this one http://www.networkworld.com/article...n-offers-voip-service-for-fios-customers.html

I was answering the part about why his rotary phone wouldn't be compatible with his provider's telephony system, which is similar to this one http://www.networkworld.com/article...n-offers-voip-service-for-fios-customers.html
Oh, that. Well, that would explain it, but BH implied that internet would not work because of the old rotary phone, not the other way around.
But I agree, I think you are right and BH just phrased his question incorrectly.

You're right - I read it the other way around. That's what I get for reading late at night :)

I have a question.

Simply not true.

I guess it is possible that the phone lines themselves (the copper wiring to, and throughout the building) somehow were insufficient.. but for 1980's dialup internet access? doubtful.

I had two rotary phones, One was built in the late 50's and the other one was a second phone put in in the back of the house so the woman who owned the home at the time would not have to walk all the way to the other side of the house to answer the phone. My bedroom was her sewing room. This phone was from the 70's.

I had two rotary phones, One was built in the late 50's and the other one was a second phone put in in the back of the house so the woman who owned the home at the time would not have to walk all the way to the other side of the house to answer the phone. My bedroom was her sewing room. This phone was from the 70's.

The question is what kind of Internet service you have? Is it fiber optic or DSL?

Back then it was the fiber optic. I have the DSL now. It is just something I was always curious about.
If it was fiber optic then Deepak was right. You had your ordinary phone connected to your internet box/modem and was not using your ordinary phone line at all. It's more than likely that this phone over internet link does not support pulse dialing phones. I mean it could be made compatible but that would be pointless because people who use internet don't have phones from the 50s, except you of course :)

Why did you regress from fiber optic to DSL? because moved to other place?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom