• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Scripps News Shutting Down

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
I watched Scripps, it was on broadcast TV 24/7. From the on air announcement I heard "..people want point of view not objective facts, the days of Walter Cronkite are gone..".

“Many brands and agencies have decided that advertising around national news is just too risky for them given the polarized nature of this country, no matter the accolades and credentials a news organization like Scripps receives for its objectivity,” Symson said. “I vehemently disagree, but it is hurting Scripps News, along with every other national linear and digital news outlet.”

Call me old fashioned, but news on the radio is better because $0 is spent on visual presentations, leaving more money for actual news. Granted, there is only NPR, but NPR is remarkably good.

I listen to our local NPR station which also carries BBC radio. We also have a regional 24/7 news radio station.

You can single out FOX but it is our wide in interpretation of the 1st Amendment freedom of the press.

It is better to have a wide latitude than hen to decide by law what is and is not acceptable. A lot of what the FCC prohibited in the 60s 70s today is common.

Back wen I was commuting to work I listened to right and left wing radio. Both sides were equally polarizing.

I forget his name, there was a progressive counterpart to Rush Limbaugh. He got suspended for continually calling republicans Nazis.

Call me old fashioned, but news on the radio wireless is better because $0 is spent on visual presentations, leaving more money for actual news. Granted, there is only NPR, but NPR is remarkably good.
FTFY. ;)

I have to agree. Words without pictures require thought, and thought demands substantive information.

Pictures are great for conveying emotional demands, but are often very low in information content.

Call me old fashioned, but news on the radio wireless is better because $0 is spent on visual presentations, leaving more money for actual news. Granted, there is only NPR, but NPR is remarkably good.
FTFY. ;)

I have to agree. Words without pictures require thought, and thought demands substantive information.

Pictures are great for conveying emotional demands, but are often very low in information content.
Jesus always hated that dang picture radio.

Told me in a dream...
Tom

I listen to our local NPR station which also carries BBC radio. We also have a regional 24/7 news radio station.

You can single out FOX but it is our wide in interpretation of the 1st Amendment freedom of the press.

It is better to have a wide latitude than hen to decide by law what is and is not acceptable. A lot of what the FCC prohibited in the 60s 70s today is common.

Back wen I was commuting to work I listened to right and left wing radio. Both sides were equally polarizing.

I forget his name, there was a progressive counterpart to Rush Limbaugh. He got suspended for continually calling republicans Nazis.
There is a middle ground between open slather and censorship. It is really simple, governments and citizens have to start realizing that allowing blatant lying by "news" groups (Fox, SkyNews, and so on) weakens the foundations of society and breeds discontent and ignorance.
If you want to have a civilization, then you better start being civilized.

Call me old fashioned, but news on the radio is better because $0 is spent on visual presentations, leaving more money for actual news. Granted, there is only NPR, but NPR is remarkably good.
I prefer the newspaper. More information in a given amount of time. But ours went too far to the right to be worth it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom