• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Sexist cab service opens in New York

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
It discriminates against both employees and customers on the basis of gender and is called She-Rides.

How is that even legal? But I guess the lefty mayor DeBlasio sees nothing wrong with it because it's only men that are getting discriminated against, and that's ok under feminism. He is also way too busy working on banning hansom cabs to worry about banning sexist cabs. :banghead:

Of course, there's another side to the story:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...lim-orthodox-jewish-drivers-article-1.1934976

SheRides wants to hire Muslim and Orthodox Jewish female drivers to provide car service to women of the same religion. The service targets female customers whose religious beliefs require them to avoid ordinary day-to-day interactions with most men.

devout Jewish women unable to take rides from unknown male cabbies will have a new transportation option, he said.

Of course, there's another side to the story:
Religiously motivated sexism is still sexism.

devout Jewish women unable to take rides from unknown male cabbies will have a new transportation option, he said.
Not "unable to", merely "choosing to" because of non-Biblical superstitions. I have read the Bible and have seen no prohibition of women getting services from male providers. If you think you have, chapter and verse please.

It discriminates against both employees and customers on the basis of gender and is called She-Rides.

How is that even legal?
I am guessing in the same way strip clubs only "hire" women. They are independent contractors and need to pay a fee to the company, men in these situations would not be desirable and would not make the money needed to pay the fees for the cab.

I don't know about New York, but cab drivers here are independent contractors that rent the cabs.

I am guessing in the same way strip clubs only "hire" women. They are independent contractors and need to pay a fee to the company, men in these situations would not be desirable and would not make the money needed to pay the fees for the cab.
With strip clubs (or say brothels in Nevada) gender is inherently part of the service offered - and same goes for male strip clubs. But being a woman is not inherently part of driving. Hiring only male drivers would not stand, who why should hiring only female drivers?
Another difference to strip clubs is that those don't discriminate against customers by gender. But this cab company does.

I don't know about New York, but cab drivers here are independent contractors that rent the cabs.
It's still sexist discrimination and DeBlasio should go after them rather than after innocent horse-drawn carriages!

Last edited:
With strip clubs (or say brothels in Nevada) gender is inherently part of the service offered - and same goes for male strip clubs. But being a woman is not inherently part of driving. Hiring only male drivers would not stand, who why should hiring only female drivers?
Sorry, this is not how it legally works, and that's how these businesses get around it. I know you want to be outraged. Maybe you should apply for a job and then file a discrimination suit. There is much money in it for you.

It's still sexist discrimination and DeBlasio should go after them rather than after innocent horse-drawn carriages!
Discrimination by the customer is not discrimination by the company.

Sorry, this is not how it legally works, and that's how these businesses get around it.
The second link posted quotes legal experts that say that they think She-Rides is illegal. But since the mayor is a lefty and leftys are in bed with radical feminists he will not go after this blatant discrimination against men so it will probably take a lawsuit.
I know you want to be outraged. Maybe you should apply for a job and then file a discrimination suit. There is much money in it for you.
If I lived in NYC I might. Then again, the judges in NY may be beholden to the feminist paradigm as well so there is doubt there will be justice there. There was a judge in Brooklyn who capriciously invalidated a perfectly good pre-nup for no good legal reason just so the ex-wife could get her hands on her ex-husband's money. I doubt a judge like that would rule against gender discrimination as long as discrimination is against men rather than women.
Discrimination by the customer is not discrimination by the company.
It's the company that discriminates against both employees and customers.

Religiously motivated sexism is still sexism.
Yes, it would be. You did notice that it's not exaclty a women-only-taxi-company, right?
Not "unable to", merely "choosing to" because of non-Biblical superstitions.
If it's superstitions they choose to live their lives by, why is the 'non-Biblical' nature of any import?
I have read the Bible and have seen no prohibition of women getting services from male providers. If you think you have, chapter and verse please.
What fucking difference does it make if you approve of their superstition, or not?
They choose to observe it, this matches them to drivers that don't violate their beliefs?

Er, hiring women is inherently part of the service offered here..... The customers want to look at women (with their clothes on). So the company is hiring women and putting a sign on the door, "this is the woman ride".

Sounds like EXACTLY the same thing here. 'Cause being a woman is not inherently part of dancing, either. Except here the clientele is the same gender as the service provider. And they have clothes on.

Er, hiring women is inherently part of the service offered here..... The customers want to look at women (with their clothes on). So the company is hiring women and putting a sign on the door, "this is the woman ride".
Nonsense. This company discriminates against both male drivers and male customers.
The business is about being driven from A to B, not about looking at the driver. Therefore the gender of the driver should not matter and this discriminatory business should be shut down!

Sounds like EXACTLY the same thing here. 'Cause being a woman is not inherently part of dancing, either. Except here the clientele is the same gender as the service provider. And they have clothes on.
Being a woman (or a man) is inherently part of sexual titillation which is what the strip club business model is about, not chaste dancing.

And again, unlike strip clubs SheRides actively discriminates against male customers as well. If there is no woman in your party SheRides (aka FemiNaziCabs, aka "She-Woman Man Haters Club") will refuse to pick you up.

Imagine that, a feminist like you coming in favor of overt discrimination against men. Did not see that coming! :banghead:

The second link posted quotes legal experts that say that they think She-Rides is illegal.
Followed by the service's legal opinion on why it isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

So, Derec, if there's discrimination being operated here, who's losing a job?
Who, exactly, is losing a ride?

Followed by the service's legal opinion on why it isn't.
That's unbiased all right. It's discriminatory on its face.

So, Derec, if there's discrimination being operated here, who's losing a job?
Who, exactly, is losing a ride?
Male drivers can't work for them and male customers can't ride with them.
That's as clear a case of sexist discrimination as you will find. But since it's directed against men it's ok with many on here. Sickening!

Nonsense. This company discriminates against both male drivers and male customers.
The business is about being driven from A to B, not about looking at the driver. Therefore the gender of the driver should not matter and this discriminatory business should be shut down!
Well according to the business plan, it _is_ about who the driver is.

Being a woman (or a man) is inherently part of sexual titillation which is what the strip club business model is about, not chaste dancing.

this is not about driving. It's about chaste driving (whatever the hell that means to these religionists, but that's their fetish). An extra request by customer, just like your strip club (whatever the hell use those serve, but that's their fetish).

But either way, certain strip clubs ain't agonna hire men because that's not what their clientele wants to see providing the service.
And certain cab companies have a similar niche.

And again, unlike strip clubs SheRides actively discriminates against male customers as well. If there is no woman in your party SheRides (aka FemiNaziCabs, aka "She-Woman Man Haters Club") will refuse to pick you up.

Imagine that, a feminist like you coming in favor of overt discrimination against men. Did not see that coming! :banghead:

pointing out that each service is there to cater to a fetish of the customer is "coming in favor of overt discrimination against men" ?

K.

Oh, this is an app? I don't see the problem. They can list male cabbies too (who request to get listed and won't get any business) and then and the whole problem is solved.

Oh, this is an app?
Being an app doesn't exempt one from anti-discrimination laws.
The bigger problem is that anti-discrimination laws are so unevenly applied. Even a hint of discrimination against women? You are in big trouble! Overt discrimination against men? That's progressive! :rolleyes:

It's the company that discriminates against both employees and customers.

Can you show where it discriminates against customers?
I didn't see that anywhere.
I would not be in favor of that, if they were using spots like airport lines, etc that meant they were turning down certain people (like the Muslim drivers wanting to refuse people with duty free bags containing alcohol)

Well according to the business plan, it _is_ about who the driver is.
According to their business plan, it's all about discrimination against both employees and customers in an industry where gender does not affect work (unlike stripping).

I wonder what you would say if a cab company refused to hire women and refused to serve female passengers.

Oh, this is an app?
Yes.
They're a service, linking women who already work for existing livery companies, to riders requesting women drivers (which would include a group that has men a slong as it includes a woman).

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/08/nyregion/new-service-offers-taxis-exclusively-for-women.html?_r=0

So it's not a company that's only hiring women, and it's not a company that's only serving women, so it's an app matching customers to the service they want for reasons of religion or just fear of strange men.

Can you show where it discriminates against customers?
Look here.

NY Times said:
A new livery service starting Sept. 16 in New York City, Westchester County and Long Island will offer female drivers exclusively, for female riders, according to its founder.

It's a sexist company founded by a woman who just plain hates men and neither wants them as employees nor customers. But hating men is considered really progressive so nothing to see here, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Incorrect. But that's a detail you don't want to see.
It's actually you who are incorrect, because you refuse to acknowledge female sexist when it's plainly in front of you.

- - - Updated - - -

So it's not a company that's only hiring women, and it's not a company that's only serving women, so it's an app matching customers to the service they want for reasons of religion or just fear of strange men.
The only drivers they hire are female. The only riders they serve are female. That's sexist discrimination no matter how much you think it's ok just because that discrimination is targeted toward men.

Back
Top Bottom