• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Should the NAACP come in and protest this Taco Bell franchise for closing as school lets out?

Okay...so the local police apparently need to staff the area better.

What does the NAACP have to do with it?

They got $2.5 million from Starbucks in 2006 from a similar thing when a franchise on the east coast (virginia beach/myrtle beach can't remember the city) shutdown when a rough black college group came in. I saw the story related to Schultz myself in the boardroom after the Shareholder's meeting and was quickly scooted out. He was pissed at the "extortion" of the NAACP wanting a large financial partnership, but agreed that the franchisee should be forced out.

Anyway he buckled:

http://investor.starbucks.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=99518&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=861503

SEATTLE, May 26, 2006 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Starbucks Coffee Company (NASDAQ:SBUX) announced today a five-year, $2.5 million commitment, through cash and in-kind donation, for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP).

As an aside Bill Bradley was also there and came in on a Segway.

Did the Starbucks close up for the day because the students were black or because they were engaged in criminal activity and scaring away customers? One of those situations is something the NAACP was created to take on, the other is a situation the police force was created to handle.

Do you want the NAACP to come in?

is there a foreseeable chance the NAACP will come in?

did you want to show the fighting?

I'm not seeing the point of this.

Did the Starbucks close up for the day because the students were black or because they were engaged in criminal activity and scaring away customers? One of those situations is something the NAACP was created to take on, the other is a situation the police force was created to handle.

What the NAACP was created for has little relevance to what it is about now, which is the advancement of itself. As the Sterling NBA case highlights, they are often about extortion for their own person gain at the expense of the advancement of "colored people".

Do you want the NAACP to come in?

is there a foreseeable chance the NAACP will come in?

did you want to show the fighting?

I'm not seeing the point of this.
NAACP are evil jerks. <- the point being made.

Now for a scary picture of the Reverend Al Shapton and all the conservatards can get their undies in a bunch.

rev-al-sharpton.jpg

Oooh scarrry!

What the NAACP was created for has little relevance to what it is about now, which is the advancement of itself. As the Sterling NBA case highlights, they are often about extortion for their own person gain at the expense of the advancement of "colored people".

I am not a fan of the NAACP.

But I am also not ignorant of its history or what it is doing today in large and small ways today.

The NAACP is a bougie, often self important, sometimes colorist organization, often out of touch and classist and too conservative my tastes, that provides scholarships, supports community based mutual aid, provides legal counsel, provides leadership training and development, helps establish opportunities for entrepreneurship with communities of color and has worked for the inclusion of people of color into mainstream American society for over 100 years.

You don't have to like it. Hell, you can hate it, many days I do, but you don't get "color" it as something akin to an extortion ring out to get as much as it can just for itself.

They're black, it must be discrimination. There is no need to consider the criminal behavior, damage to the store and threats to the workers.

They're black, it must be discrimination. There is no need to consider the criminal behavior, damage to the store and threats to the workers.

You mean Jewish, don't you?

Now for a scary picture of the Reverend Al Shapton and all the conservatards can get their undies in a bunch.

rev-al-sharpton.jpg

Oooh scarrry!

His head looks too big for his body since he lost weight.
He also looks better with shorter hair. Nice and clean cut. The kinda guy you'd like to have lunch with or go out to the ball game.

But I am also not ignorant of its history or what it is doing today in large and small ways today.

The NAACP is a bougie, often self important, sometimes colorist organization, often out of touch and classist and too conservative my tastes, that provides scholarships, supports community based mutual aid, provides legal counsel, provides leadership training and development, helps establish opportunities for entrepreneurship with communities of color and has worked for the inclusion of people of color into mainstream American society for over 100 years.

You don't have to like it. Hell, you can hate it, many days I do, but you don't get "color" it as something akin to an extortion ring out to get as much as it can just for itself.

As a card-carrying member of the NAACP...yeah, that's about right.

But I'm still confused. If kids come out of school and fight, daily, directly outside of some Taco Bell, and the Taco Bell decides to close up shop because of that, or because of damage to their store...what's the issue? I guess, at this point, my answer to the question given by the OP is "No." And I don't really see how race is an issue. This isn't like those cases where someone freaked out over a black person walking down the street, or sitting in public. There's actual crime involved, it should be handled as such.

And if the kids are doing this with this regularity, it's time for the police to step in.

But I'm still confused. If kids come out of school and fight, daily, directly outside of some Taco Bell, and the Taco Bell decides to close up shop because of that, or because of damage to their store...what's the issue? I guess, at this point, my answer to the question given by the OP is "No." And I don't really see how race is an issue. This isn't like those cases where someone freaked out over a black person walking down the street, or sitting in public. There's actual crime involved, it should be handled as such.

When you take the disparate-impact approach to evaluating what is discrimination this qualifies.

Blacks are losing after-school access to a Taco Bell, whites are not. Discrimination.

But if we treat this as we would any crime, then we couldn't bring in the NAACP, and then blame the NAACP for coming in, and ...

BENGHAZI!!!

When you take the disparate-impact approach to evaluating what is discrimination this qualifies.

Blacks are losing after-school access to a Taco Bell, whites are not. Discrimination.

Whites can get food from Taco Bell that's closed? Is that some sort of Southern thing? It doesn't happen around here.

Whites can get food from Taco Bell that's closed? Is that some sort of Southern thing? It doesn't happen around here.

The Taco Bells near mostly white schools aren't closing.

Back
Top Bottom