• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Should the NAACP come in and protest this Taco Bell franchise for closing as school lets out?

They're not going to put two so close together that they are drawing each other's customers.
. If one Taco Bell is closed, customers can migrate to another one. Unless you are saying that the customers of the closed Taco Bell are unable to migrate or are denied service to other Taco Bells, your argument is irrelevant.

If the Taco Bell were closed you would have a point.

It's not closed, though. It's just closing for an hour and a half after school lets out. That's not enough to support a competing Taco Bell.

- - - Updated - - -

You misunderstand.

The blacks at that school are--it's very unlikely there are two Taco Bells close enough to the school.
Apparently brawling inside a Taco Bell is a protected right?

Disparate impact has nothing to do with any of this.

Huh?

The point is that showing why the pattern happens doesn't change the fact that it happens.

I have seen multiple people on the left argue that disparate impact is enough to prove discrimination.

. If one Taco Bell is closed, customers can migrate to another one. Unless you are saying that the customers of the closed Taco Bell are unable to migrate or are denied service to other Taco Bells, your argument is irrelevant.

It's not closed, though. It's just closing for an hour and a half after school lets out. That's not enough to support a competing Taco Bell.

- - - Updated - - -

You misunderstand.

The blacks at that school are--it's very unlikely there are two Taco Bells close enough to the school.
Apparently brawling inside a Taco Bell is a protected right?

Disparate impact has nothing to do with any of this.

Huh?

The point is that showing why the pattern happens doesn't change the fact that it happens.

Pattern? What are you talking about? I mean is fighting in Taco Bell after school a common occurrence?

I have seen multiple people on the left argue that disparate impact is enough to prove discrimination.
Discrimination? What the hell are you talking about? Are you saying that people (liberals) are arguing that all Taco Bells need to be closed at the same times?
Could you name one that is doing this?

What the NAACP was created for has little relevance to what it is about now, which is the advancement of itself. As the Sterling NBA case highlights, they are often about extortion for their own person gain at the expense of the advancement of "colored people".

I am not a fan of the NAACP.

But I am also not ignorant of its history or what it is doing today in large and small ways today.

The NAACP is a bougie, often self important, sometimes colorist organization, often out of touch and classist and too conservative my tastes, that provides scholarships, supports community based mutual aid, provides legal counsel, provides leadership training and development, helps establish opportunities for entrepreneurship with communities of color and has worked for the inclusion of people of color into mainstream American society for over 100 years.

You don't have to like it. Hell, you can hate it, many days I do, but you don't get "color" it as something akin to an extortion ring out to get as much as it can just for itself.

Except that it is a fact that they have engaged in extortion in exchange for helping racists do things that harm blacks and other minorities. After they take their cut of the extortion money to pay their own salaries did they use portion of it to help black, being sure to plaster their name all over it. Sure, but that doesn't make up for the harm they helped cause minorities by doing things like giving a racist slum lord like Sterling (the largest landlord in LA) awards that help him fight legal charges.
And don't give me excuses about this being a couple people at 1 chapter, because this occurred repeatedly over many years and waqs all widely known and the national chapter and all other local chapters said nothing, because they clearly do similar things. I didn't say that extortion is the sole thing they do. I was responding to repoman to point out that the NAACP manufacturing any reason to step in and gain from the situation is quite consistent with the way they often operate today, regardless of whether it is consistent with their original or advertised function.

Every Taco Bell should close. It is a health hazard. Opening a Taco Bell up in a black neighbourhood should be protested against as eugenics.

So you acknowledge that those teenagers can go to another Taco Bell which means they have not been denied access. I accept your apology.

So you acknowledge that those teenagers can go to another Taco Bell which means they have not been denied access. I accept your apology.

It's unlikely there is another one within walking range.

I am not a fan of the NAACP.

But I am also not ignorant of its history or what it is doing today in large and small ways today.

The NAACP is a bougie, often self important, sometimes colorist organization, often out of touch and classist and too conservative my tastes, that provides scholarships, supports community based mutual aid, provides legal counsel, provides leadership training and development, helps establish opportunities for entrepreneurship with communities of color and has worked for the inclusion of people of color into mainstream American society for over 100 years.

You don't have to like it. Hell, you can hate it, many days I do, but you don't get "color" it as something akin to an extortion ring out to get as much as it can just for itself.

Except that it is a fact that they have engaged in extortion in exchange for helping racists do things that harm blacks and other minorities.
Explain the extortion. And then explain the reason why there has not been a litany of litigation charging extortion.
After they take their cut of the extortion money to pay their own salaries did they use portion of it to help black, being sure to plaster their name all over it.
And? What corporations don't?
Sure, but that doesn't make up for the harm they helped cause minorities by doing things like giving a racist slum lord like Sterling (the largest landlord in LA) awards that help him fight legal charges.
Which has what to do with extortion?
And don't give me excuses
I have no intentions of giving you anything.
about this being a couple people at 1 chapter, because this occurred repeatedly over many years and waqs all widely known and the national chapter and all other local chapters said nothing, because they clearly do similar things.
What are you talking about and what does any of it have to do with extortion
I didn't say that extortion is the sole thing they do.
But that was claim made in the quote.
I was responding to repoman to point out that the NAACP manufacturing any reason to step in and gain from the situation is quite consistent with the way they often operate today, regardless of whether it is consistent with their original or advertised function.
And how do they manufacture these reasons? Are they scripting corporations and individuals to do "hinky" things and get called out by the press? And then, after scripting, extorting money out of the plot they devised?

Let's cut to the chase, shall we?

I don't think you like the NAACP. And whatever the NAACP does will be seen as suspect by you.

it's ok

I don't like Lady GagGag. I judge her harshly and unfairly because I don't like her.

Hate the NAACP. On most days, I will be hating it too, but this thread is not the way to stick it to the NAACP. Trying to devise a NAACP scenario that does not exist in order to prove how bad the NAACP is, is a dumb move.

Even I would not make up a shitty album, attribute it to Lady GagGag, and then blame lady GagGag for the album I made up.

Except that it is a fact that they have engaged in extortion in exchange for helping racists do things that harm blacks and other minorities.
Explain the extortion.

They took money in exchange for giving him humanitarian awards rather than help to prosecute him for his racist discrimination against minorities.

And then explain the reason why there has not been a litany of litigation charging extortion.

Think about why extortion and "hush money" situations are virtually never prosecuted, and you'll have your answer to a question so absurdly naive it smacks of dishonest red herring.

After they take their cut of the extortion money to pay their own salaries did they use portion of it to help black, being sure to plaster their name all over it.

You're correct (cue the balloons), the NAACP acts much like most greedy corporations whose main goal in "helping others" is really self-promotion

Sure, but that doesn't make up for the harm they helped cause minorities by doing things like giving a racist slum lord like Sterling (the largest landlord in LA) awards that help him fight legal charges.

Your right, it is not technically identical to the crime of extortion, it is much worse and more unethical. They didn't blackmail an innocent person. They are more like hitmen who took money from an evil bastard to help him do harm to others.

You've already given me red herrings and b.s. excuses and moral equivalences. But what I am sure you won't give me (or anyone ever) is any rational support or evidence for your positions. Heck, such an improbable occurrence might might tear a hole in the space-time continuum.

about this being a couple people at 1 chapter, because this occurred repeatedly over many years and waqs all widely known and the national chapter and all other local chapters said nothing, because they clearly do similar things.

I am talking about the LA chapter given Sterling honors and humanitarian awards on multiple occasions for years while he was in legal battles over charges of discrimination both from tenants and employees. Well known facts that the national chapter must have been fully aware of.

Add this to your mountain of false assertions and deliberate misrepresentations of what people have said. Not only did I not use the word "sole" or any equivalent, I used the qualifier "often" in regards to their extortive actions. When someone tells you that they often eat eggs, do you presume they mean that eggs are the sole thing they consume?

And don't give me excuses about this being a couple people at 1 chapter, because this occurred repeatedly over many years and waqs all widely known and the national chapter and all other local chapters said nothing, because they clearly do similar things. I didn't say that extortion is the sole thing they do. I was responding to repoman to point out that the NAACP manufacturing any reason to step in and gain from the situation is quite consistent with the way they often operate today, regardless of whether it is consistent with their original or advertised function.

Um...why not?

The NAACP branches are given a large amount of leeway, now what?

The NAACP as Athena described has been around for quite some time now - in fact since it was formed mostly. And yes local branches are often composed of idiots (the amusing part is that you haven't even stated the most notable act of idiocy By even the LA branch, just their most recent one) with far too much autonomy.

But...

Why is the national NAACP even being brought up here?

I'm sorry, a Taco Bell closes around the usual times when kids get into fights in their stores, and we're supposed to protest? Why is that, again? I don/t get the line of thinking, at all. Could we please make this not sound 100% random?

Explain the extortion.

They took money in exchange for giving him humanitarian awards rather than help to prosecute him for his racist discrimination against minorities.
Sounds more like a bribe than extortion. Also sounds like it has nothing to do with closing a taco bell. But this was never about closing a taco bell, now was it?
And then explain the reason why there has not been a litany of litigation charging extortion.

Think about why extortion and "hush money" situations are virtually never prosecuted, and you'll have your answer to a question so absurdly naive it smacks of dishonest red herring.
Extortion turns on secrecy, but you know about it, and so does anyone who reads the LA Times. So much for secrecy.

You're correct (cue the balloons), the NAACP acts much like most greedy corporations whose main goal in "helping others" is really self-promotion
and you can prove the MAIN goal of the NAACP is self promotion?

Your right, it is not technically identical to the crime of extortion, it is much worse and more unethical. They didn't blackmail an innocent person. They are more like hitmen who took money from an evil bastard to help him do harm to others.
Which makes it more akin to bribery. I see extortion fading into the distance.
You've already given me red herrings and b.s. excuses and moral equivalences.
uh, no. i asked questions, i make no excuses for the NAACP. don't have to and don't want to
But what I am sure you won't give me (or anyone ever) is any rational support or evidence for your positions.
Which are?
Heck, such an improbable occurrence might might tear a hole in the space-time continuum.

I am talking about the LA chapter given Sterling honors and humanitarian awards on multiple occasions for years while he was in legal battles over charges of discrimination both from tenants and employees. Well known facts that the national chapter must have been fully aware of.

Add this to your mountain of false assertions and deliberate misrepresentations of what people have said. Not only did I not use the word "sole" or any equivalent, I used the qualifier "often" in regards to their extortive actions. When someone tells you that they often eat eggs, do you presume they mean that eggs are the sole thing they consume?
nor did you use any other qualifier. that would have tempered the disdain.

It's unlikely there is another one within walking range.
And that is relevant because you believe that teenagers will only walk to places? If those teenagers want to go to a Taco Bell, they will find one to get to. They do not have to walk.

Explain the extortion.

I feel a need to explain this.

Again, the local branches of the NAACP usually act on their own. And yes, Sterling never should have been given an award, since he was basically a slumlord. Those awards were given by his local branch - the LA branch.

Remember a few years ago, when "the NAACP" was holding a protest because of the Hallmark card, that were explicitly about astronomy, had someone saying "black holes" and they somehow heard "black hoes"? Same guys. As in, it's literally the exact same people who awarded Don Sterling, working at the local LA branch, acting on their own.

I don't see how it's *extortion*, per se, but I won't speak to what was going on over their, since first and foremost, they were a bunch of idiots.

To add to what Mumbles just said,

There are four local branches of the NAACP inn Los Angeles proper alone not counting Culver City, Altadena, Compton, and Wilmington CA.

Hardly a monolithic organization

To add to what Mumbles just said,

There are four local branches of the NAACP inn Los Angeles proper alone not counting Culver City, Altadena, Compton, and Wilmington CA.

Hardly a monolithic organization
Neither you nor Mumbles get it. Because some NAACP chapters and members are idiots and extortionists, all members and the entire NAACP are idiots and extortionists.

Back
Top Bottom