• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Sick owls given acupuncture to help return to wild

It's not me who said it; the pubmed abstract concludes this.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9818803
Yes., and you doesnt seem to have a clue what it means: It means that they realized that their test did not show that acupunture works better than doing something that they know is useless.

Your conclusion does not have a premise since I did not make any comment to the abstract or indicate any point of view. The second sentence serves no purpose in seeking to elaborate on a meaning which is self-evident.

Yes., and you doesnt seem to have a clue what it means: It means that they realized that their test did not show that acupunture works better than doing something that they know is useless.

Your conclusion does not have a premise since I did not make any comment to the abstract or indicate any point of view. The second sentence serves no purpose in seeking to elaborate on a meaning which is self-evident.

If so then why did you post this abstract in the first place???

[P]
from article said:
Acupuncturist vets recommend it in animals for muscle and joint problems – such as the owl’s bad back – as well as for nerve, skin, breathing and gut complaints.
[/P]

Yeah, there is no shortage of fraudulent snake oil charlatans in the world of veterinary medicine (even more than human medicine). Few things will prompt consumers to make more irrational, money wasting choices, than the love of their pets. I type that as I sit with my cat on my map, whose life I value more than that of all but a few humans.

I am curious whether the animals are sedated during this process? Either they are sedated to not feel the needles at all, or they feel it and are restrained but are struggling and their muscles contracting. Either way, even the bogus nonsense theory underlying the effect of acupuncture would seem to predict that these differences from human treatment would undermine the positive effects. But the beauty of faith is that one can ignore logical incoherence.

Last edited:

If so then why did you post this abstract in the first place???

There is a problem in finding a way to test Acupuncture using sham treatments.

[P]
from article said:
Acupuncturist vets recommend it in animals for muscle and joint problems – such as the owl’s bad back – as well as for nerve, skin, breathing and gut complaints.
[/P]

Yeah, there is no shortage of fraudulent snake oil charlatans in the world of veterinary medicine (even more than human medicine). Few things will prompt consumers to make more irrational, money wasting choices, than the love of their pets. I type that as I sit with my cat on my map, whose life I value more than that of all but a few humans.

I am curious whether the animals are sedated during this process? Either they are sedated to not feel the needles at all, or they feel it and are restrained but are struggling and their muscles contracting. Either way, even the bogus nonsense theory underlying the effect of acupuncture would seem to predict that these differences from human treatment would undermine the positive effects. But the beauty of faith is that one can ignore logical incoherence.

Every time I think I know all the scams an entire batch of new ones (to me) pops up.

There is a problem in finding a way to test Acupuncture using sham treatments.
A problem that has been solved.
But your point being?

Not conclusive I would say.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21402558

RESULTS:
The subjects correctly identified 67% of needles overall. 17 of the 80 no-touch control needles were judged as skin-touch, and one as penetrating. In addition, six skin-touch placebo needles, and no penetrating needles, were judged as no-touch. Half of the 80 skin-touch placebo needles and 65 of the 80 penetrating needles and two no-touch control needles elicited pain. Of 240 needles, the practitioner identified 120 correctly that did not fit the probability of 1/3 (χ(2)=30.00, p<0.01).

CONCLUSIONS:
The no-touch control needles may be used as a blind control for the acupuncture procedure, or to test the physiological effect of the skin-touch needles, but are not suitable for double-blind testing of the needle effect.

This other one is not so definite in its view.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21195294

CONCLUSIONS: A non-penetrating sham needle may successfully blind participants and thus, may be a credible sham control. However, the small sample size, the different needle sensations, and the degree and direction of unblinding across acupuncture points warrant further studies in Korea as well as other countries to confirm our finding. Our results also justify the incorporation of formal testing of the use of sham controls in clinical trials of acupuncture.

I will add to that.

As well as Acupuncture, the Chinese use Then there is Tui Na It is a form of medical massage based around the acupuncture points and meridians.
In most forms it means pressing with the fingers along the acupuncture points. So if a placebo needle seems to be working one must also question whether it is a placebo effect or the effect of a Tui Na type application.

A problem that has been solved.
But your point being?

RESULTS:
The subjects correctly identified 67% of needles overall. 17 of the 80 no-touch control needles were judged as skin-touch, and one as penetrating. In addition, six skin-touch placebo needles, and no penetrating needles, were judged as no-touch. Half of the 80 skin-touch placebo needles and 65 of the 80 penetrating needles and two no-touch control needles elicited pain. Of 240 needles, the practitioner identified 120 correctly that did not fit the probability of 1/3 (χ(2)=30.00, p<0.01).

CONCLUSIONS:
The no-touch control needles may be used as a blind control for the acupuncture procedure, or to test the physiological effect of the skin-touch needles, but are not suitable for double-blind testing of the needle effect.

CONCLUSIONS: A non-penetrating sham needle may successfully blind participants and thus, may be a credible sham control. However, the small sample size, the different needle sensations, and the degree and direction of unblinding across acupuncture points warrant further studies in Korea as well as other countries to confirm our finding. Our results also justify the incorporation of formal testing of the use of sham controls in clinical trials of acupuncture.

I will add to that.

As well as Acupuncture, the Chinese use Then there is Tui Na It is a form of medical massage based around the acupuncture points and meridians.
In most forms it means pressing with the fingers along the acupuncture points. So if a placebo needle seems to be working one must also question whether it is a placebo effect or the effect of a Tui Na type application.

It has been shown that it doesnt matter were you set the pins. The acupuncture points and meridians diesnt exist.

Monkeys have also been subjected to it

Image-11.jpg

Image-8.jpg

RESULTS:

CONCLUSIONS:

I will add to that.

It has been shown that it doesnt matter were you set the pins. The acupuncture points and meridians diesnt exist.

It is more like there is no conclusive evidence that they exist. I suppose there would be two schools for this; maybe and maybe not. Of course I would not ask you to disprove a negative because those who propose acupuncture have the burden of proof upon themselves.

You may be interested in this article from the British Medical Acupuncture Association where there could be a physiological basis.

http://aim.bmj.com/content/27/1/33
Abstract

Western medical acupuncture is a therapeutic modality involving the insertion of fine needles; it is an adaptation of Chinese acupuncture using current knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pathology, and the principles of evidence based medicine. While Western medical acupuncture has evolved from Chinese acupuncture, its practitioners no longer adhere to concepts such as Yin/Yang and circulation of qi, and regard acupuncture as part of conventional medicine rather than a complete “alternative medical system”. It acts mainly by stimulating the nervous system, and its known modes of action include local antidromic axon reflexes, segmental and extrasegmental neuromodulation, and other central nervous system effects. Western medical acupuncture is principally used by conventional healthcare practitioners, most commonly in primary care. It is mainly used to treat musculoskeletal pain, including myofascial trigger point pain. It is also effective for postoperative pain and nausea. Practitioners of Western medical acupuncture tend to pay less attention than classical acupuncturists to choosing one point over another, though they generally choose classical points as the best places to stimulate the nervous system. The design and interpretation of clinical studies is constrained by lack of knowledge of the appropriate dosage of acupuncture, and the likelihood that any form of needling used as a usual control procedure in “placebo controlled” studies may be active. Western medical acupuncture justifies an unbiased evaluation of its role in a modern health service.

Back
Top Bottom