• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Sign about "Falling away from faith of founders of USA"

dockeen

Basic Beliefs
Ex-Tian, now a general seeker
One the way home, I saw one of those cutsies on a sign. It said words to the effect of:

"This country has fallen away from the faith of it's founders. How is that working out for you?"

I thought, someone thinks they are so clever with that one. Then I thought about the contrast between
conditions in the time of the founders, i.e.

- Slavery is A-OK

- Women are second class people

- Religion is used to persecute and kill others

- Death and disease abound.

- I'm sure you can think of some more

Compare that to today. Sounds like things are not so bad after all.

Ironically, this was not a church sign, but a sign at a car wash.

The ironic funny part is that the "Christianity of our founding fathers" would be pretty unrecognizable to the maker of the sign.

Wikipedia says:

Lambert (2003) has examined the religious affiliations and beliefs of the Founders. Of the 55 delegates to the 1787 Constitutional Convention, 49 were Protestants, and two were Roman Catholics (D. Carroll, and Fitzsimons).[citation needed] Among the Protestant delegates to the Constitutional Convention, 28 were Church of England (or Episcopalian, after the American Revolutionary War was won), eight were Presbyterians, seven were Congregationalists, two were Lutherans, two were Dutch Reformed, and two were Methodists.[citation needed]

A few prominent Founding Fathers were anti-clerical Christians, such as Thomas Jefferson[19][20][21] (who created the so-called "Jefferson Bible") and Benjamin Franklin.[22] Others (most notably Thomas Paine) were deists, or at least held beliefs very similar to those of deists.[23]

Historian Gregg L. Frazer argues that the leading Founders (Adams, Jefferson, Franklin, Wilson, Morris, Madison, Hamilton, and Washington) were neither Christians nor Deists, but rather supporters of a hybrid "theistic rationalism".[24]

So, if you believe Jesus Christ was no deity and had no superpowers, you have not "fallen" from their "faith".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Founding_Fathers_of_the_United_States

With such logic, most inhabitants of England, Rome and Greece should feel ashamed of themselves. :lol:

About Ingersoll, the Founding Fathers generation and...
Susan Jacoby on Secularism and Free Thinking on PBS:

If you have the time for a video. I listened to it over yummee french-toast-8.jpg : )

Jefferson, in a letter to John Adams: 'The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as his Father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva, in the brain of Jupiter.' So much for the deep, traditional faith that today's religious righties tell us is to be found in the Declaration of Independence. Admittedly, the statement is in a private letter (but therefore all the more sincere.) No major U.S. politician of today would survive after making such a statement. Gotta love this place!!

Back
Top Bottom