• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Simulation

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
Simulation of large non homogeneous volumes is often done by Fineries Element Analysis. It is simple in principle. Duvide an object into regions and define the properties and equations for the region, Then subdivide each section in smaal subdivisions. This process is called meshing. Impossible to do by hand it is done by different algorithms. The shape used affects speed and accuracy.

A flat metal plate is meshed into small volumes. Initial conditions are a heat source on one end. The transfer is computed volume to volume. It is a numerical solver, trial and error. I image climate simulations use this technique.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_element_method

Neshing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesh_generation

FEA is the primary tool in engineering, it is usually included in 3D solid modeling tools.

I have played around with demo version of Flexpde. Plenty of documentation, examples, and free books. A good free book on solving field problems.

https://www.pdesolutions.com/index.html

Sample script for heat flow

As a preview example to give the flavor of a FlexPDE descriptor file, we will construct a model of heatflow on a square domain.

The heatflow equation is

div(K*grad(Temp)) + Source = 0

If K is constant and Source = 4*K, the heat equation will be satisfied by the function

Temp = Const - x^2 - y^2 .

We define a square region of material of conductivity K = 1, with a uniform heat source of 4 heat units per unit area.

We further specify the boundary value

Temp = 1 - x^2 - y^2

Since we know the analytic solution, we can compare the accuracy of the FlexPDE solution.

The text of the descriptor is as follows:

{ *******************************************************************

SIMPLE.PDE

This sample demonstrates the simplest application of FlexPDE to

heatflow problems.

******************************************************************* }

TITLE "Simple Heatflow"

VARIABLES

temp { Identify "Temp" as the system variable }

DEFINITIONS

k = 1 { declare and define the conductivity }

source = 4 { declare and define the source }

texact = 1-x^2-y^2 { exact solution for reference }

INITIAL VALUES

temp = 0 { unimportant in linear steady-state problems,

but necessary for time-dependent or nonlinear

systems }

EQUATIONS { define the heatflow equation :}

div(k*grad(temp)) + source = 0

BOUNDARIES { define the problem domain: }

REGION 1 { ... only one region }

{ specify Dirichlet boundary at exact solution: }

VALUE(temp)=texact

START(-1,-1) { specify the starting point }

LINE TO (1,-1) { walk the boundary }

TO (1,1)

TO (-1,1)

TO CLOSE { bring boundary back to starting point }

MONITORS

CONTOUR(temp) { show the Temperature during solution }

PLOTS { write these plots to disk at completion: }

CONTOUR(temp) { show the solution }

SURFACE(temp) { show a surface plot as well }

{ display the solution error :}

CONTOUR(temp-texact) AS "Error"

{ show a vector flow plot: }

VECTOR(-dx(temp),-dy(temp)) AS "Heat Flow"

END { end of descriptor file }

Do you have a question about finite element modelling or just starting a general discussion?

I do FEA for a living. :) Structural, not thermal, but I'm familiar had to use thermal, both static and time dependent, in order to do some analysis.

Our working group here has static analysis, damage tolerance (including modelling of crack growth behavior), thermal, and aerodynamic FEA capability.

I've been looking at dabbling a bit into aerodynamic FEA for some possible upgrades to my velomobile when I get it. In that vein, I found some very nice aero-elastic solvers for free that are pretty robust.

Do you have a question about finite element modelling or just starting a general discussion?

I do FEA for a living. :) Structural, not thermal, but I'm familiar had to use thermal, both static and time dependent, in order to do some analysis.

Our working group here has static analysis, damage tolerance (including modelling of crack growth behavior), thermal, and aerodynamic FEA capability.

I've been looking at dabbling a bit into aerodynamic FEA for some possible upgrades to my velomobile when I get it. In that vein, I found some very nice aero-elastic solvers for free that are pretty robust.

Small world. Just starting a thread. I know the basic idea to understand tools I used. Thermal, mechanical, and EM simulations. I have a personal license for Alibre 3D cad. I once looked at buying a Flexpde license but ended up not being able to justify it.

By all means elaborate.

I believe the first public domain software came out of NASA. I'd have to look up the name.

Can you post links?

Small world. Just starting a thread. I know the basic idea to understand tools I used. Thermal, mechanical, and EM simulations. I have a personal license for Alibre 3D cad. I once looked at buying a Flexpde license but ended up not being able to justify it.

By all means elaborate.

I believe the first public domain software came out of NASA. I'd have to look up the name.

Can you post links?
The first large scale, commercially viable (and well tested) software that you're referring to is NASTRAN. It's really just a large array matrix solving software that can be used with the appropriate parameters for thermal, structural, aero applications.

I have a copy of FEMAP/NASTRAN, which is a professional version from when I ran my own engineering firm.

A lot of the math is over my head when it comes to the specifics, but FEA has spawned an entire branch of mathematics relating to optimizing solution algorithms for solving large (100,000+ nodes) matrices.

The biggest problem with FEA is that it's very much subject to GIGO, and a lot of young engineers think one can just put a solid 3D model into a solver with contstraints, loads, and get meaningful results. I suspect I'm going to wind up having a big fight with my current client over their idea of what a 'good' model is....

All dynamic physical systems reduce to a set of simultraneos equations, often non lenear so linear algebra can not be used to directly calculate a solution.

In electronics SPICE is the main simulator. There is a graphical function where you create a schematic on the display.

The preprocessor converts the nodes and values in the circuit to a set of simultaneous integro-differntial equations that are submitted to a solver. The solver iterates until results are within a specied consistency and certain laws are satisfied.

For FEA a solid model is created and properties are assigned to regions. The preprocessor creates a mesh and from the nodes creates a set of simultaneous equations.

The iteration problem requires repeted matrix operations.

The basic numerical technique is simple. Eulers method for solving differential equations.

A battery is placed across a series resistor and capacitor.

The equation is

Vb barttery voltage
Vc capacitor voltage
i current
c capacitance
r resistance
dt time interval

Vb = i*r + Vc

For the cap i =c(dv/dt) or dv =(i/c)*dt

initial condition Vc = 0

for j = 1 to 1000
i = (Vb - Vc)/ r
dvc = (i/c)*dt
Vc = Vc + dvc
next j

Computes the voltage on the cap vs time in increments of dt. It would be the same for a set of equations defining a mechanical system. Many equations and variables. but the iteration process is the same.

In the simulation of a battery and two series resistors the simulation iterates until the sum of the resistor voltages equal the battery voltage within a specified tolerance, Kirchoff's Law. I imagine mechanical simulations are the same, iterate until some law or model is satisfied.

Back
Top Bottom