• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Simulations/matrix and the speed of light

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
Basic Beliefs
Probably in a simulation
For people who think there is no way we are in a simulation, maybe you could think hypothetically...

I think I read somewhere that the speed of light would make there be a limit to how CPU intensive the simulation is...

Also time and space being relatively discrete (rather than infinite precision) means it can theoretically be simulated on a computer.

Apparently time slows down due to gravity (related to how crowded things are) - which would also reduce the CPU usage.

BTW the type of simulation I believe in uses "level of detail" rather than always explicitly simulating every particle in the universe.

What we perceive computers to be may not relate to what a super-civilization, should one exist, uses to run a simulated universe.

What we perceive computers to be may not relate to what a super-civilization, should one exist, uses to run a simulated universe.
I think that maybe a simulation would involve some "machine learning" like Flight Simulator 2020 I think any kind of computer would have issues with things like infinite precision (for space and time) and infinite speeds.... (maybe)

BTW something related is that there is a "law" about the conservation of information.... for some reason information can't be destroyed. That has a strong connection to the simulation idea I think.

About space being discrete:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/starts...why-space-needs-to-be-continuous-not-discrete

There is the Planck scale but according to that article empty space is completely continuous... (if I understood it correctly)
There is nothing to say that a Planck length is a true physical granularity. A Planck length is only the smallest distance that any meaningful statements can be made about using our current physics models... the same for Planck time.

[MENTION=453]skepticalbip[/MENTION]

Hi what do you think of the speed of light thoughts? Does it make some sense?

There is nothing to say that a Planck length is a true physical granularity. A Planck length is only the smallest distance that any meaningful statements can be made about using our current physics models... the same for Planck time.
I guess the reason why is complicated?

As this is a "pseudoscience" forum, I suppose I don't have to take it so seriously...

In a simulation, there is usually some part of the world the simulator is interested in. For example, weather simulations don't care about solar system models or animal husbandry. They simulate part of reality and half-ass the rest.

Are we in a part that is the purpose of the simulation? Or are we in a part that's half-assed? We don't know. It could be that the entire point of the simulation is to see how black holes evolve over a trillion years, and we're just some simulation artifact that happens sometimes when starting conditions are right, and could be skew the results if not wiped out.

For people who think there is no way we are in a simulation, maybe you could think hypothetically...

I think I read somewhere that the speed of light would make there be a limit to how CPU intensive the simulation is...

Also time and space being relatively discrete (rather than infinite precision) means it can theoretically be simulated on a computer.

Apparently time slows down due to gravity (related to how crowded things are) - which would also reduce the CPU usage.

BTW the type of simulation I believe in uses "level of detail" rather than always explicitly simulating every particle in the universe.

Why would a simulation have to adhere to speed of light, gravity, A/B theories of time, free will, etc?
"..true physical granularity"

......Why would a simulation have to adhere to speed of light, gravity, A/B theories of time, free will, etc?
"..true physical granularity"
Well I think the following is true:

This is a quote from Futurama's "Godfellas"...

"Bender, being God isn't easy......You have to use a light touch. Like a safecracker, or a pickpocket.....When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

Related to this:
https://www.lifesplayer.com/bible.php

So it appears that the universe faithfully follows the laws of physics, making many believe that there is no supernatural, but I think there is an intelligent force at work - and in my case it involves "coincidence".... (causing it to still obey physical laws)

So it appears that the universe faithfully follows the laws of physics,
I think you got that bass-ackward.

The universe reliably acts the way it does. The 'laws of physics' only faithfully describes what the universe does. The 'laws of physics' does not dictate to the universe.

The universe was reliably doing what it does long before humanity existed. Science only recently figured out what it was doing and invented physics to describe it.

So it appears that the universe faithfully follows the laws of physics,
I think you got that bass-ackward.

The universe reliably acts the way it does. The 'laws of physics' only faithfully describes what the universe does. The 'laws of physics' does not dictate to the universe.

The universe was reliably doing what it does long before humanity existed. Science only recently figured out what it was doing and invented physics to describe it.
Well I believe we are in a simulation and it involves a system that follows patterns such as the rules of physics we have discovered. I don't think the entire history of the universe was simulated in our simulation.... maybe our world is cloned from a history that was simulated.

BTW I'm starting to read/listen to the following:

The Simulation Hypothesis: An MIT Computer Scientist Shows Why AI, Quantum Physics and Eastern Mystics All Agree We Are In a Video Game - Rizwan Virk

It has a section on physics and the speed of light....

I might disagree with him when he talks about the supernatural though...

Aha, got it. So you are subscribing to last Tuesdayism. I guess it makes as much sense as the YEC belief.
Yeah it's like in the Matrix - it would have started at some point in modern times rather than being simulated back from a singularity...

Since it is in pseudo-science forum, I would not take it seriously, but then, the perceived world is just an illusion, 'maya', 'anicca' (impermanent), 'anatta' (insubstantial), according to Advaita Hinduism and Buddhism. We do live in a matrix.

Aha, got it. So you are subscribing to last Tuesdayism. I guess it makes as much sense as the YEC belief.
Yeah it's like in the Matrix - it would have started at some point in modern times rather than being simulated back from a singularity...
How would you know that it is not started in the future?

Think about what it is like to live in a simulation. For you, time passes normally. But the computer simulating you could run faster or slower than the "simulated" time. And the execution could be even suspended at times, and then resumed at a later time. You might even reverse time in a simulation. For you, it would not feel any different because you are inside the simulation. So there is no way of telling whether you are in a simulation that is running forwards from last Tuesday, or backwards from next Tuesday. And actually you can't even tell a difference between a simulation that is not run at all, as long as the laws governing the simulation are deterministic.

Everything happens in the present. Simulations run in present time.
That's a weird way of thinking the universe. It not only violates relativity, but basic human experience.

Back
Top Bottom