• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

'Sistine Chapel of the ancients' rock art discovered in remote Amazon forest

Potoooooooo

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
https://www.theguardian.com/science...s-rock-art-discovered-in-remote-amazon-forest
One of the world’s largest collections of prehistoric rock art has been discovered in the Amazonian rainforest.

Hailed as “the Sistine Chapel of the ancients”, archaeologists have found tens of thousands of paintings of animals and humans created up to 12,500 years ago across cliff faces that stretch across nearly eight miles in Colombia.

https://www.deviantart.com/hodarinundu/art/Rock-Art-Mystery-Beast-862749407
this one, appears to depict some sort of large extinct mammal. But, which one? Is it a giant ground sloth? A short-faced bear? A sabertooth tiger? And what exactly is going on? A hunting scene? A chance encounter with a protective mother? Or a celebration after a successful kill?
rock_art_mystery_beast__by_hodarinundu_de9nppb-fullview.jpg

Looks like a puma to me!

Cool site, though. People have some very outdated notions of Amazonian prehistory, there's actually a pretty fascinating story there.

Looks like a puma to me!

Cool site, though. People have some very outdated notions of Amazonian prehistory, there's actually a pretty fascinating story there.

Al-Shamahi added: “One of the most fascinating things was seeing ice age megafauna because that’s a marker of time. I don’t think people realise that the Amazon has shifted in the way it looks. It hasn’t always been this rainforest. When you look at a horse or mastodon in these paintings, of course they weren’t going to live in a forest. They’re too big. Not only are they giving clues about when they were painted by some of the earliest people – that in itself is just mind-boggling – but they are also giving clues about what this very spot might have looked like: more savannah-like.”

rock-painting-1280x720.jpg

That looks to be really complex.

How'd that survive the Flood? Oh right, the Flood didn't happen.

Back
Top Bottom