• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

So...We Gonna Talk About This Speech?

I had no idea who Jesse Williams is so I looked him up on Wiki. What a load of claptrap, he's not even black. :hysterical: Talk about cultural appropriation. :hysterical: An utter tosser of the worst kind.

I'm trying to figure out what this means.

It means Jesse Williams is an impostor, a charlatan a complete tosser. Probably not a good actor to boot.

Carry on.

I had no idea who Jesse Williams is so I looked him up on Wiki. What a load of claptrap, he's not even black. :hysterical: Talk about cultural appropriation. :hysterical: An utter tosser of the worst kind.

I'm trying to figure out what this means. Are you suggesting that no non-black person can actually be an ally to the cause of racial equality? Or, beyond ally, can feel that racism against black people has been ongoing for a very long time and has been detrimental to our society for all that while?

It seems to me that an open-eyed person possessing a modicum of empathy could reach the conclusion without even being black.

I'm still trying to figure out the whole "he's not even black" thing. I also looked him up on Wikipedia and his father is "of African American and some Seminole descent." So he's as black as Obama...unless we think Obama "isn't even black."

:confused:

I'm trying to figure out what this means.

It means Jesse Williams is an impostor, a charlatan a complete tosser. Probably not a good actor to boot.

Carry on.

Oh come on, TSwizzle, it's the current year! Don't let his green eyes confuse you. So long as he identifies with the top of the progressive stack, you must listen to him and nod your head; otherwise, they'll call you a name.

I sometimes wonder if some people who post here have ever seen even seen black people other than on TV.

I'm not 100% sure but I think our UPS delivery driver may be black. Is there a way I could find out without asking any awkward questions ?

Ok, since the subject has been opened, is The Rock a black guy?

People sometimes talk about him like he's a black guy, but he looks more like a white guy with a tan to me. Maybe he's like ... Samoan or something? I've never known how to ask the question, but the thread's been turned into that topic, so I'm not he dick for asking.

People sometimes talk about him like he's a black guy, but he looks more like a white guy with a tan to me. Maybe he's like ... Samoan or something? I've never known how to ask the question, but the thread's been turned into that topic, so I'm not he dick for asking.

I have some personal experience in this regard, as The Rock visited our office some years ago when his movie career was just beginning to take off. I can confirm that Dwayne Johnson is an Enormous-American.

Well, the first sentence of his Wikipedia page says he's an American and Canadian actor, so there's your answer.

I remember getting into a debate with some friends a few years ago about whether Johnny Mathis was a black guy or not. We finally decided that if he was really a black guy, then his hit song would be called Chances Be rather than Chances Are.

Excusing such behavior is tantamount to holding black people to a lower standard - textbook racism.

It's amazing how many SJWs excuse the odious behavior of those they are trying to help.

- - - Updated - - -

Excusing such behavior is tantamount to holding black people to a lower standard - textbook racism.

The issue here is police violence against people standing on the street.

The issue of black poverty is related though.

Poverty has always led to crime.

To think it is a black issue is to have ulterior motives.

BLM is making things into racial issues that weren't originally.

I sometimes wonder if some people who post here have ever seen even seen black people other than on TV.
Well black strip clubs have $5 lap dances instead of $10, so ... :)
Seriously though, I know many black people. What's your point?

Btw, do you know what 'gentrifying our genius' is supposed to mean? My tentative hypothesis is that he is is just stringing buzzwords together, Postmodernism Generator style.

Last edited:

Btw, do you know what 'gentrifying our genius' is supposed to mean? My tentative hypothesis is that he is is just stringing buzzwords together, Postmodernism Generator style.

First, did I say you?

Second, I know a lot of black people. I mean I have 35 living first cousins alone, all of them black. I somehow I don't think you know as many black people as as I do.

Third, when i say I know a lot of black people, i mean know their parents, grandparents, great-grand parents, spouses, children, I have eaten in their homes, slept over in their homes, had them eat and sleep in mine, I was with them when a loved one passed away and when their children were born, know when they snuck their first drink, their first smoke, their first kiss and who they were with.

This is what I mean when I say I know a lot of black people.

What do you mean?

First, did I say you?

Second, I know a lot of black people. I mean I have 35 living first cousins alone, all of them black. I somehow I don't think you know as many black people as as I do.

Third, when i say I know a lot of black people, i mean know their parents, grandparents, great-grand parents, spouses, children, I have eaten in their homes, slept over in their homes, had them eat and sleep in mine, I was with them when a loved one passed away and when their children were born, know when they snuck their first drink, their first smoke, their first kiss and who they were with.

This is what I mean when I say I know a lot of black people.

What do you mean?

AA, what goes through your head when you hear accusatory invective like 'gentrify our genius'? Can you make sense of that statement? Do you agree with it?

The nearest sense I can make of it is this: some white people make money by 'appropriating' black culture, and it is morally wrong for white people to do that.

Do you believe it?

This setup I think is worth it, for the point I will make...

So, there is a strange/interesting music/dance group combining Jpop and Heavy Metal from Japan called Babymetal (and another music/dance group called Perfume). A great deal of their success comes from their choreographer, Mikiko.

She went a few years ago to New York City for schooling in dance and talked about the domination of black dance /hip hop in the dance field at the time. She felt it did not match the japanese culture and aesthetic.

from an interview:
Before I went the standard for the dance scene at the time was the American one. The focus of attention at that time was placed on just how closely one could recreate the dance style of African Americans. And physically I don’t have the body shape like theirs (she makes sound/gesture like thin waist and big ass).

I felt strongly that their way of dance and their way of expressing themselves is something that flows through their veins and is inherent in them. And for me mimicking this was an embarrassing thing to do.

When I came back to Japan I saw in more detail exactly what direction to go in. In other words I would pursue that which fit my (our) body better. The physical form of the Japanese plus the Japanese attention to detail and precision.

I am glad she eschewed cultural appropriation or the world would have been a poorer place.

I think the results speak for themselves:

I felt strongly that their way of dance and their way of expressing themselves is something that flows through their veins and is inherent in them. And for me mimicking this was an embarrassing thing to do.

What's surprising is that this woman doesn't find admitting that she believes in magickal blood embarrassing.

I am glad she eschewed cultural appropriation or the world would have been a poorer place.

No: she made an aesthetic choice; you think she made the right one.

The cultural appropriation mythicists think aesthetic choice should be denied if your ancestors did not come from the right place.

Back
Top Bottom