• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Some Christian fundamentalists: no extraterrestrial intelligence

They do seem to think that believing something hard enough makes it true.

That is their operational pattern, but it shouldn't be part of the motto.

It should be a warning that your process is subject to a particular form of error.
"Reverend Jim Jones said it; I believed it; here, have some Koolaid."

Sure, but on the plus side it allows you to believe in God despite a complete lack of evidence. To a theist, the benefits outweigh the risks. :(
I can't even imagine how spending eternity singing praises to some insecure God would be anything other than a hell in itself - wouldn't the boredom of it get to you after a while? No wonder the angels revolted.

It should be a warning that your process is subject to a particular form of error.

Sure, but on the plus side it allows you to believe in God despite a complete lack of evidence. To a theist, the benefits outweigh the risks. :(
I can't even imagine how spending eternity singing praises to some insecure God would be anything other than a hell in itself - wouldn't the boredom of it get to you after a while? No wonder the angels revolted.
Singing and painting always seem to help me center. What I can't imagine is how Neanderthal got by in harsh climates with few associates not even thinking about better tools without music or much art. Then along came Cro-Magnon with larger troops, singing, better tools, and laughter ... Go to black.

How can one imagine, indeed. I suppose it's not like the experience we go through in life, like the aging process - which has an influencing outlook, to being quite aware of how time affects us. Time drags along or it goes quickly; or sometimes it's both, changing like the weather. The sense of how fast time seems to move, the sense of time perception, can depend on the age demographic, even how one feels, seeing their circumstance on the perspective of borrowed time, based from his or her health condition.

If I were to dare to imagine what it would be like, I would guess that with no aging process and the ailing pains that comes with it - the sense of time, say 10 years. The experience would not feel or be noticeable to 10 thousand years. It would be a whole different mindset than one would expect from the conventional outlook... a different mindset to the one that gets easily bored in the current world.

The Christian version to your quoted above is: Angels revolted because man came into the scene.

Rita Rudner had a piece where she mentions that a friend of hers was in labor for 36 hours. "I don't even want to do anything that feels GOOD for 36 hours."
How can one imagine, indeed. I suppose it's not like the experience we go through in life, like the aging process - which has an influencing outlook, to being quite aware of how time affects us. Time drags along or it goes quickly; or sometimes it's both, changing like the weather. The sense of how fast time seems to move, the sense of time, depends on the age demographic, even how one feels simply from his or her health condition, "oh the joy to be rid of these pains, if only, and to be with loved ones".

If I were to dare to imagine what it would be like, I would guess that with no aging process and the ailing pains that comes with it - the sense of time, say 10 years. The experience would not feel or be noticeable to 10 thousand years. It would be a whole different mindset than the conventional outlook, that is different from the minset that gets easily bored in our current world.
So, then why are we here? Seriously, why is there a life on this earth to sort out souls if the afterlife we're earning is so drastically different from the life we lead here?
Everything i do at work to support training missile techs tries to make the training as realistic as possible, by which we mean that the training environment matches the expected conditions they'll be working in as closely as physically possible.
It really makes no sense to create us as subject to boredom if the eternal soul will be singing 'God's A Neato Keeno Guy' for 10,000,000 years at a stretch.

Back
Top Bottom