• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Something That Frustrates Us about 121C (Voice for the Laymen)

Okay, but that only begs the question of why order matters with an infinite number of subsets.
I'll try to explain in as non-mathematical way as possible:

When you have a finite set and you remove one element, the resulting set is smaller. If you repeat this often enough, you will eventually get to the empty set. The number of times you have to repeat this is the size of the set. And it doesn't matter in which order you remove elements, you will still end up with the empty set after the same number of steps.

If two finite sets have the same number of elements, then forming a 121C between them is equivalent to removing entries from each set one at a time until they are both empty. If they both end up empty at the same time then they were the same size. If one runs out before the other then it was a smaller set. But because it doesn't matter in which order you remove entries from either set, you can form 121C's between them any way you like.

Infinite sets behave differently. If you remove one element from an infinite set, you are still left with an infinite set [Simple proof: Assume not. If the resulting set is finite of size n, then adding back the element you removed will result in a set of size n+1. i.e. a finite set]. If you remove an infinite number of elements at once, you might be left with an infinite set, or you might be left with a finite set [eg From {1,2,3,4...} remove all the even numbers, and you are left with the infinite set {1,3,5...}; but remove the set of numbers bigger than 3 and you are left with {1,2,3}]. So when you are forming 121C's between two infinite sets you can't just take one entry at a time from each set willy-nilly and continue until you both sets are empty, because they will never be empty. So instead you need some way to remove an infinite number of elements in one go from each set. But because removing an infinite number of elements can have very different effects you end up with the problem that it matters precisely how you try to form a 121C as to whether you succeed or not.

It still doesn't seem like a legitimate 121C. If all naturals in the set of only naturals corresponds to all of the naturals in the set of all integers, you seem to be saying that we are left with negative integers with no match, okay. But, then how is that 121C if the correspondence of the set of naturals is totally used up. Aleph 0 has been exhausted by the naturals. Aleph 0 naturals was not enough to match aleph 0 integers; how is that 121C?

Infinite sets contains infinite subsets.

That means that you can map the entire set to one of its subsets.

Do you realize what that means?

An example:
You can map all natural number to the the subset containing only the even natural numbers by using the mapping x-> 2x.
In your own wording:
"Aleph 0 has been exhausted by a subset of itself. Aleph 0 naturals was not enough to match aleph 0 even naturals".

Ponder this.

Yes, that has been mentioned several times. But it doesn't explain how all integers are 121C with all naturals. The negative integers are left!

And Cantor's argument also seems to exhaust aleph 0, but for reasons I have yet to understand, we can't squeeze them into aleph 0.

Yes, that has been mentioned several times. But it doesn't explain how all integers are 121C with all naturals.

it the same thing!
I just made these replacements:

Natural numbers integers
Odd numbers negative integers
Even numbers positive integers
(x->2x) (x->x)

All integers are 121C with all naturals since there is a bijection between integers (x) and naturals (y) covering the entire sets:

x y=2x for x >= 0
x y=-2x+1 for x < 0

The existence of such an bijection shows that the sets are of equal size.

The negative integers are left!
That is because you mapped to a subset.

The negatives are included in the bijection shown above.

Your argument works individually, but it doesn't work in the big picture. Think about this: the two sets {{Z^(-)}{N}} does not seem to match to {N}.

121C is not some globally known concept. It means "chapter 12. Proposition 1c" in a book by Schäffer. (The proposition is about the injective property of countable sets.)

Isn't the ability to map to various elements exactly what 121C isn't. For example +/- 4^(1/2).
I have no idea what you talk about. I have shown a simple bijection between natural numbers and integers.

... and I am also not sold on the idea that the set of integers is infinite.
Why aren't you sold on that?

If the set of integers were finite, then, no matter how many there are, in principle you could compare every one with every other one and identify which is larger, the same way you can compare 1 with 2, compare 1 with 3, and compare 2 with 3, supposing there were only those three integers. So you'd just systematically go through all the possible comparisons until you find the largest integer, the one that's bigger than every other integer. Then you'd have an integer that you couldn't add 1 to, because there wouldn't be any integer for the sum to be. But how could you possibly have an integer that you can't add 1 to?

Because all natural numbers are finite. There is no natural number that can be an infinite number of elements away from 1. Yet, the set of natural numbers is said to have an infinite number of elements.

121C is not some globally known concept. It means "chapter 12. Proposition 1c" in a book by Schäffer. (The proposition is about the injective property of countable sets.)
That's not what anybody else in this thread means by "121C". It's an abbreviation for "1 to 1 correspondence", i.e., "bijection". (Technically we should all be writing "121AOC" for "1 to 1 and onto correspondence", but let's not get carried away.)

That's not what anybody else in this thread means by "121C". It's an abbreviation for "1 to 1 correspondence", i.e., "bijection". (Technically we should all be writing "121AOC" for "1 to 1 and onto correspondence", but let's not get carried away.)

Really? Then the chspter reference i reslly weird, since it fits so well.. :-)

But it still doesnt explane his wording...

If you use this argument, then we can visit the uncountable argument, which seems to use uniqueness to identify numbers that are left out of the infinite row of numbers.

Or, for example, why couldn't I just do this with the sets E = {1,2,3...} and F = {1,2,3...}:

E|__|F
1-not-1
2-not-1
3-not-1
I don't think you're quite ready for the uncountable argument; first you need to really grok how "countable" infinite sets behave. Let's keep going on the integers.

(But the quick answer is that with finite sets which mapping you use never makes a difference as to whether you succeed or not, but with infinite sets sometimes you succeed and sometimes you fail. What you're doing with that example is exhibiting one line-up that fails -- it isn't a proper 121C because 1 never shows up in the F column. If these were finite sets, you'd be done -- when you show one failure you've shown that all the line-ups fail. I think that's where your intuition is letting you down: you think you're done because you're used to finite sets. Since these are infinite sets, you're not done. You've shown one example of a line-up that has a missing set member on one side; but you haven't shown that every line-up has a missing set member. (And of course we know there's a line-up with no missing members, since E and F are the same set.) But in Cantor's "diagonal" argument for the reals being an uncountable set, he shows that every line-up has a missing real number.)

But doesn't the argument only show that the line-up of the naturals is missing real numbers?
Yes. But in your version, you chose which line-up to use. You're the one who picked a line-up in which 1 doesn't match 1 and 2 doesn't match 1 and 3 doesn't match 1 and so forth. Somebody else could always come along and pick a different line-up, such this: (1->2, 2->1, 3->4, 4->3, ...). So 1 isn't missing from F in her line-up. Nothing is missing; she's got a complete 121C between E and F.

In contrast, in Cantor's version of the argument, Cantor doesn't choose which line-up to use. Think of it like a chess game: it's easier to win if you go first. Choosing which line-up to use is the first move; showing that there's an element missing is checkmate. What you did was win by playing white and going first. What Cantor did was let the other guy go first, and then Cantor goes on to win even though he's playing black. His argument is "You pick the line-up. Here's how I show that whatever line-up you picked is missing a real number."

Who gets to go first makes all the difference -- it means that you've shown that some line-ups from the first set to the second set are missing one of the second set's members, but Cantor's shown that all line-ups from the first set to the second set are missing one of the second set's members.

But I thought that uniqueness matters. Each hotel room is the same, and each person is the same. In other words, I have no problem with an infinite number of eggs each sitting in an infinite number of nests.
No, the hotel rooms and the people are all different. At the very least, each hotel room has a different number on its door. The people are especially all different. Imagine if Hilbert has his infinite hotel with every room full, and the new customer shows up at the front desk, and Hilbert says "No problem, sir. I'll just put you in room 1, and I'll move the lady in room 1 into room 2, and I'll toss the gentleman in room 2 out into the snow, and I'll explain to him that it's okay because the lady who's now in his room is just the same as he is." Mr. Hilbert is going to have a very angry guest.

But this uniqueness seems to pop up in some ways but go away in other ways. For example, Cantor's diagonal argument. There is an issue with the "kind" of number that doesn't get listed, and aleph 0 won't eat it up. Then there is the kind of number that I don't want in aleph 0, but aleph 0 eats it up anyways.
It's not really a matter of what "kind" of number you're dealing with, but rather of how many of them there are. It's easy to have aleph 0 eat up exactly the kind of real number that Cantor showed was missing. Suppose somebody tries to win against Cantor by giving him the infinite list of the computable real numbers. Cantor uses his diagonal method and shows that there's a real number not on the list. Well, that means that the missing real number wasn't computable: there is no possible computer program for generating its digits one after another. (There are numbers known to be like that, such as "omega", also called "Chaitin's Constant".) But that doesn't mean somebody else couldn't make a list of aleph 0 uncomputable numbers. Here's aleph 0 eating up the same kind of number.

E G
1 omega
2 (omega + 1)
3 (omega + 2)

They're all uncomputable, and there are aleph 0 of them in the list. But of course (omega + pi) is also an uncomputable number and it's not in the list. There aren't any particular real numbers you can't put into a 121C with the integers; it's just that you can't use the same 121C for all of them. There are too many uncomputable numbers for any single list.

Why aren't you sold on that?

If the set of integers were finite, then, no matter how many there are, in principle you could compare every one with every other one and identify which is larger, the same way you can compare 1 with 2, compare 1 with 3, and compare 2 with 3, supposing there were only those three integers. So you'd just systematically go through all the possible comparisons until you find the largest integer, the one that's bigger than every other integer. Then you'd have an integer that you couldn't add 1 to, because there wouldn't be any integer for the sum to be. But how could you possibly have an integer that you can't add 1 to?

Because all natural numbers are finite. There is no natural number that can be an infinite number of elements away from 1. Yet, the set of natural numbers is said to have an infinite number of elements.
Have you heard of the Fallacy of Composition? Here's one of Wikipedia's examples.

All cells are aquatic. Therefore, all organisms (which are composed of cells) are aquatic.​

The fact that every member of a set has some given property is not a good reason to think the whole set has that property. You can have an infinite set of finite members.

If you use this argument, then we can visit the uncountable argument, which seems to use uniqueness to identify numbers that are left out of the infinite row of numbers.

Or, for example, why couldn't I just do this with the sets E = {1,2,3...} and F = {1,2,3...}:

E|__|F
1-not-1
2-not-1
3-not-1
I don't think you're quite ready for the uncountable argument; first you need to really grok how "countable" infinite sets behave. Let's keep going on the integers.

(But the quick answer is that with finite sets which mapping you use never makes a difference as to whether you succeed or not, but with infinite sets sometimes you succeed and sometimes you fail. What you're doing with that example is exhibiting one line-up that fails -- it isn't a proper 121C because 1 never shows up in the F column. If these were finite sets, you'd be done -- when you show one failure you've shown that all the line-ups fail. I think that's where your intuition is letting you down: you think you're done because you're used to finite sets. Since these are infinite sets, you're not done. You've shown one example of a line-up that has a missing set member on one side; but you haven't shown that every line-up has a missing set member. (And of course we know there's a line-up with no missing members, since E and F are the same set.) But in Cantor's "diagonal" argument for the reals being an uncountable set, he shows that every line-up has a missing real number.)

But doesn't the argument only show that the line-up of the naturals is missing real numbers?
Yes. But in your version, you chose which line-up to use. You're the one who picked a line-up in which 1 doesn't match 1 and 2 doesn't match 1 and 3 doesn't match 1 and so forth. Somebody else could always come along and pick a different line-up, such this: (1->2, 2->1, 3->4, 4->3, ...). So 1 isn't missing from F in her line-up. Nothing is missing; she's got a complete 121C between E and F.

In contrast, in Cantor's version of the argument, Cantor doesn't choose which line-up to use. Think of it like a chess game: it's easier to win if you go first. Choosing which line-up to use is the first move; showing that there's an element missing is checkmate. What you did was win by playing white and going first. What Cantor did was let the other guy go first, and then Cantor goes on to win even though he's playing black. His argument is "You pick the line-up. Here's how I show that whatever line-up you picked is missing a real number."

Who gets to go first makes all the difference -- it means that you've shown that some line-ups from the first set to the second set are missing one of the second set's members, but Cantor's shown that all line-ups from the first set to the second set are missing one of the second set's members.

But I thought that uniqueness matters. Each hotel room is the same, and each person is the same. In other words, I have no problem with an infinite number of eggs each sitting in an infinite number of nests.
No, the hotel rooms and the people are all different. At the very least, each hotel room has a different number on its door. The people are especially all different. Imagine if Hilbert has his infinite hotel with every room full, and the new customer shows up at the front desk, and Hilbert says "No problem, sir. I'll just put you in room 1, and I'll move the lady in room 1 into room 2, and I'll toss the gentleman in room 2 out into the snow, and I'll explain to him that it's okay because the lady who's now in his room is just the same as he is." Mr. Hilbert is going to have a very angry guest.

But this uniqueness seems to pop up in some ways but go away in other ways. For example, Cantor's diagonal argument. There is an issue with the "kind" of number that doesn't get listed, and aleph 0 won't eat it up. Then there is the kind of number that I don't want in aleph 0, but aleph 0 eats it up anyways.
It's not really a matter of what "kind" of number you're dealing with, but rather of how many of them there are. It's easy to have aleph 0 eat up exactly the kind of real number that Cantor showed was missing. Suppose somebody tries to win against Cantor by giving him the infinite list of the computable real numbers. Cantor uses his diagonal method and shows that there's a real number not on the list. Well, that means that the missing real number wasn't computable: there is no possible computer program for generating its digits one after another. (There are numbers known to be like that, such as "omega", also called "Chaitin's Constant".) But that doesn't mean somebody else couldn't make a list of aleph 0 uncomputable numbers. Here's aleph 0 eating up the same kind of number.

E G
1 omega
2 (omega + 1)
3 (omega + 2)

They're all uncomputable, and there are aleph 0 of them in the list. But of course (omega + pi) is also an uncomputable number and it's not in the list. There aren't any particular real numbers you can't put into a 121C with the integers; it's just that you can't use the same 121C for all of them. There are too many uncomputable numbers for any single list.

Hey, thanks, this is very interesting, and it taught me a lot. It's starting to crystalize for me. I still have think about all of this for a while.

Have you heard of the Fallacy of Composition? Here's one of Wikipedia's examples.

All cells are aquatic. Therefore, all organisms (which are composed of cells) are aquatic.​

The fact that every member of a set has some given property is not a good reason to think the whole set has that property. You can have an infinite set of finite members.

Yes, I will try to keep this in mind.

Back
Top Bottom