• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Spinoff--Our women under 18 allowed to make their own medical decisions with regard to pregnancy

coloradoatheist

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist, libertarian
Since Jimmy wanted a spinoff from the girl who didn't want chemotherapy.

Are women under 18 who are pregnant able to make their own medical decisions with regard to their pregnancy or are they beholden to the State or their Parents?

Is there any way to edit the title of the thread?

There are two basic cases:

Parents want abortion, teen does not. If the parents get to choose it's going to have long-lasting emotional repercussions for the teen.

Parents want to keep, teen wants to abort. This is almost always punitive in nature, in such cases the parental judgment is unsound and should be ignored.

Thus in virtually all scenarios I think the parents should not get to decide.

Note that this is very different than most medical issues where the parents are after the best interests of the child.

If the girl understands what she is doing, sure, why not?

- - - Updated - - -

Parents want abortion, teen does not. If the parents get to choose it's going to have long-lasting emotional repercussions for the teen.

Parents want to keep, teen wants to abort. This is almost always punitive in nature, in such cases the parental judgment is unsound and should be ignored.

Note that this is very different than most medical issues where the parents are after the best interests of the child.

I had an old acquaintance who did this. She made her child get an abortion. I kinda got the impression the girl did not want one, but I can't say for sure. Mother asserted her rights over her child's medical condition, I guess you could say.

- - - Updated - - -

... The best interests of which child? :-o

There is only one child.

I called a fetus baby and I call my wife baby, does that help?

This is not a medical question at all (if there isnt some medical complication with the pregnacy)

Back
Top Bottom