• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Stealth air conditioner?

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
So my apartment will not allow window mounted air conditioners and the windows are very large single panes. I live in Seattle, so maybe there will be 15-20 evenings i will really need it this year.

I was thinking of having a hose pushing out the hot air out the window and having a decent quick seal around the window. That or run through the shower or kitchen fan vent.

Any ideas on this?

Windowless air conditioners aren't great, but they're better than nothing. We used one for eight years.

You want something along these lines:

http://www.amazon.com/Soleus-Air-PH...?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1428093147&sr=1-11

I'm not specifically recommending this unit, it's just happens to be a brand I know makes such products and therefore was easy to find.

They have a panel that you open the window slightly and insert the panel into the open space. The seal is far from ideal, I use some weatherstripping and tape besides to get a reasonable seal. The window remains open all the time so you'll also want to seal the gap between the panels--something I found to be more of a hassle than sealing the panel edges.

Not only are room units prohibited here but we have solar screens, one couldn't be used anyway.

Note that using a unit like this means the window can't be locked. Given the inaccessibility of the window where I have this that's not an important issue for us.

Note that since these units are entirely in the room they lack a good system for disposing of condensate water. The nicer units attempt to evaporate it with the exhaust air, the cheaper units just have a tank that requires occasional emptying. During the dry season it's a complete non-issue for us, during the humid time I've had a evaporating unit shut off once because it needed draining and an older tank unit could go some weeks between empties.

Back
Top Bottom